Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2016, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 506 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

New to the forum and I am planning on relocating to Columbus in the next year. I am currently considering my first property within Columbus as a cash deal. My price range is around 40k, and I've run into a couple considerations:

A duplex cash flows far better than a SFH. The downside to that is that for my price range, the area for a possible for a duplex will be less ideal than a SFH for a similar price. I do see the multi-unit market (in general) a bit stagnant, and I think that there is some flexibility for negotiation in purchase price.

-I've seen a few duplexes in good enough shape in the Hilltop area. Is that preferable to South Columbus?

-The primary advantage of a duplex for me is the ability to have additional income while I live next door. In my life circumstance, this is a nice advantage.

For the price range, I think that I can possibly squeeze into a ranch SFH. While the area would likely be an improvement to the duplex, this position would limit my future capital flows for subsequent units.

-The primary advantage of the SFH is price appreciation as I see housing continuing to rise for the next several years.

The ultimate objective is to position myself well so that I can build a larger portfolio of rental units.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 10:58 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,746 times
Be warned, the Hilltop is ghetto central. It's one of the worst areas in all of Columbus. Are you sure you want to live there?

Old 01-03-2017, 07:23 AM

23 posts, read 25,152 times
Hilltop and South Columbus are both large areas that are made up of smaller neighborhoods. If you are comfortable living in either area, I guess it would depend on where, specifically, the properties are located. Many parts of the Hilltop are bad but quite honestly it's not much different than the Southside. Personally, I think Hilltop has more "pockets" of quiet neighborhoods, where crime would not be a major concern. Having lived in both, I have seen more violent and property crime on the southside. If you have some properties in mind you could post the nearest intersection or the street name to compare areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus