U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 11:22 PM

9 posts, read 11,180 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My name is Adriel, and I'm from Sao Paulo Brazil.
My dream is to study and live in the USA, and last weekend I met with some representatives from Ohio State University at a Student EXPO here in my city. I'm very interested in applying, actually I'm very excited. Ohio State is one my favorite schools, I'm a Buckeyes football fan. Some college football games are broadcast here in Brazil by ESPN, and I always watch their games. And also I researched about the academics, and noticed that is a great school! I really want to apply, but first I'd like to ask some questions about studying and living in the USA and about Columbus, could you help me please?

1- What's studying and living in the USA like?
2- Is Columbus a good place to study and live?
3- It is a safe city?
4- What's the weather like? Does it snow?
5- What are the best things to do there, aside the parks?
6- Do you have any advices or recommendations?

Thanks Very Much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 02:10 AM

874 posts, read 1,035,741 times
Hi, Adriel. It's good to see Buckeye Nation expanding beyond our borders. I graduated from Ohio State a few years ago, so I will try to answer your questions:
1. I'm not familiar with the Brazilian educational system, but one big culture shock to many international students is that there are apparently more lectures in American college courses than many other countries, and that some (but not many) professors require attendance at most or all of those lectures. Another big shock is having to take courses in a whole bunch of different subjects (these are called general education classes or GECs). Some of the GEC classes can have 200 or more people in them, but there are often 10-20 classes that can fill each GEC requirement, and many of them have class sizes of 30 or smaller. Often the smaller classes are on more interesting topics as well like the sociology of the Amish or Korean poetry or Central Asian art.
I'll let other people answer the living part since Columbus has changed a lot lately and some of the things I would probably type are no longer true.
2. It depends. People who live in the South Campus area are more about partying and less about studying, and people in the North Campus area are more about studying and party, but not as much as the South Campus people. Most first-year students have to live in the South Campus dorms, but there are many quiet places to study on campus if your dorm is too loud.
3. Columbus is relatively safe (well below the national average in almost every category of crime), it just has a much higher than average rate of rape, which is thankfully declining rapidly. There's also a bunch of vandalism that mostly happens on the weekend, but it's relatively easy to avoid. There used to be some rioting issues during Beat Michigan Week, but not really as much anymore.
4. Most of the year, the temperature is mild or warm, but in the winter, it snows a little. During the winter, the campus is usually right under a frontal boundary where it snows to the north and west and rains to the south and east. Campus usually ends up just on the rain side.
5. I realize that the MLS isn't anywhere nearly as good as Brazil's professional soccer league, but Crew Stadium is not that far from campus and people like to go to Crew games. Nationwide Arena is not far from a frequent bus route if you want to become and ice hockey fan. Outside of sports and partying, OSU has lots of organizations for pretty much any interest, and because it is a large university, it gets lots of big names in academia that speak, such as having a recent Nobel winner in physics speak at least once a year. Also, a lot of popular music acts perform on campus as well. There are lots of things to keep you busy/entertained on or near campus.
6. I have both experienced and heard from a lot of other people that it's a lot easier to make new friends at OSU than it is at many other places.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:54 PM

2,359 posts, read 3,314,592 times
dxdtdemon answered everything fairly accurately...I graduated from Ohio State in 2001 and I know things are different now especially since they switched from the Quarter system that I was on to the semester system.

1) You will take most of your GEC classes in your 1st 2 yrs, and move more into your focused courses of your major in the later years.
2) Yes...Columbus really caters to OSU...Buck ID allows you free bus rides on COTA...OSU is close to the downtown enternainment districts...OSU campus has plenty of activitities going on for students (I suggest you get involved in at least 1 student group...focusing on something you enjoy...I did intramural sports, I was a member of the Student Alumni Council, was involved w/ the Young Democrats, LGBT Student Alliance, Undergraduate Business Student Forum, and Transportation Logistics Associations, and got to participate in the Global Supply Chain Forum...I also worked part time on campus as a prospective student tour guide)...so get involved on campus...it makes it even easier to make friends, and good network connections...and it allows you to make the very large campus community feel much smaller because you are involved. I always found the students that didn't make it were the ones that either only went to class and studied...or they really didn't care about their studies or the university and only partied...so study hard, but get involved...that will help you Do Something Great.
3) For the most part yes...and campus is very safe. There are a few minor precautions to always take...never walk alone in some of the alleys after dark in the campus and immediate off campus area...in fact, even in well lit areas, walking w/ someone tends to make one feel safer...also, make sure you keep your room in the dorms and if you rent an off campus apartment, then the doors to your apartment locked...that's common sense for any large city. Columbus is a city of about 800,000 people w/ a metro of about 1.9 million people.
4) Columbus gets 4 seasons...winter is generally cloudy and cold and it does snow some...we get about 30" of snow per season...spread out in about 3-4 decent snows (3" or more) and a few minor snows (less than 3")...the decent snows will paralyze traffic around here for a while but are never too terrible...spring sees a lot of rain and thunderstorms...the weather gets unpredictable then...1 day can be really warm and humid, and the next day it's nearly freezing, then a couple days later it's warmed back up...Summer is generally warm and a little humid...occasionally we'll see some thunderstorms and rain but not very often....Fall is the best weather season...it's still generally mild, the humidity is much lower...and morning and nights can get really cool but daytime will still get nice.
5) It just depends on what sort of things you enjoy...there are clubs down in the Arena District and Short North Arts district...live music venues, nice parks, good movie theater close to campus, lots of shopping and dining options all over and more.
6) Apply...and if you can come for a visit somehow do it.
If you can't, try and connect w/ any students or past students you can to talk to them.
I hope you become one of our Buckeye brothers...our alumni association is 400,000 plus members strong...living all over the world...and we are all one big family tied together by our similar experiences.

BTW, the 2014 incoming freshman class...42,790 People Applied...9,750 were accepted (7,000 on the main Columbus campus)...students in this class are from 49 of the 50 United States and 33 countries from around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus