U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 PM

545 posts, read 757,248 times

Advertisements

Is Columbus really at risk for dangerous tornadoes? I read this list of US cities based on safety from natural disaster risk, and Columbia was in the BOTTOM ten. Meanwhile, Dayton was in the top 10 on another list. Why is Columbus so much more at risk than Dayton? What are the tornado risks in Col?

http://www.livescience.com/936-natur...us-cities.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 03:08 PM

204 posts, read 182,105 times
This is just antecdotal, but I moved to Kansas City and hear much less about tornadoes and tornado warnings out here than when I lived in Columbus, so maybe there is something to it.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:48 PM

166 posts, read 243,870 times
Tornadoes seem less frequent and less severe in Columbus as compared to Cincinnati, where I grew up. I've lived here for 5 years and haven't had to take shelter once. We do get some tornado warnings, but if there is a touchdown, it's almost always an EF-0 or EF-1 (weak). In fact, I am looking at records dating back to 1950 and Franklin County hasn't had anything stronger than an F-3 (old scale), while Hamilton County has had one F-5 and three F-4's. As for Dayton, I would imagine the risk for tornadoes is slightly less than Cincinnati and slightly more than Columbus. Storms tend to weaken considerably as they enter the Columbus metro area -- I suspect there is a geographical reason for this.

On the list you linked to, I would really like to know the methodology behind it. There are a lot of cities that rank as safer than Columbus that have much more frequent and violent thunderstorms and tornadoes such as Memphis, Louisville, and Indianapolis. I can't think of any other natural disaster risks we have here that those cities don't have.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:48 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,531,265 times
Well, you read it in a list on the Internet -- that pretty much clinches it.

All tornadoes can be classified as dangerous and a tornado can happen anywhere. Dayton would be no less susceptible to them than Columbus as the geography is pretty much identical. Not to mention, they're less than 100 miles from each other on pretty much the same latitude.

WB - my guess is that KC doesn't sensationalize it as much as other places. KC is part of what some call the "new" tornado alley.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:53 PM

166 posts, read 243,870 times
Here's a good link for tornado history in Ohio, BTW: Ohio tornado history with details of each tornado since 1950 | cleveland.com

Interestingly, Franklin County has had 31 tornadoes compared to 9 for Montgomery County (Dayton). Part of it can be attributed to Montgomery County being smaller and more sparsely populated. A lot of tornadoes in rural areas go unreported, especially in the days before doppler radar, social media, etc.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:55 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,299,773 times
Having lived in each of the 3 Cs in Ohio...it seems Cincy and Cleve get more violent T Storms than Columbus gets.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:22 PM

381 posts, read 484,152 times
Columbus is on the very eastern edge of a more active tornado area. It's is not at all like Oklahoma or Kansas, which is the true "Tornado Alley".

Old 09-28-2014, 01:01 AM

11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
Greene County, and Xenia in particular, seems to have most serious tornado history in the state.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:01 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,608,697 times
I have been interested in relocating to Ohio for awhile now. In my research I discovered that Ohio hasn't had a major tornado since the 70s or so. After living out West, a rare F0 or F1 is nothing.

In general, Ohio has a very moderate climate with very few extremes. It is a huge positive that the state should promote more.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:29 AM

220 posts, read 248,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
In my research I discovered that Ohio hasn't had a major tornado since the 70s or so.
I wish that were true, BCBear!

"On November 10, 2002 tornadoes were reported in several counties of Ohio including Putnam County and Van Wert County. The tornado reported in Van Wert County in 2002 was a violent F4 tornado with 4 fatalities.

There were also reported tornadoes in Union County and Seneca County in Ohio. Both of these tornadoes were a severe F3s, and there was a fatality near Republic, Ohio....

Overall, five people were killed because of these violent storms in Van Wert, Putnam, and Seneca Counties."

2002 Veterans Day Weekend tornado outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was rare though, and was part of the freak eighty-three tornadoes that hit 17 states on that weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or