U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 08:39 AM

6,980 posts, read 4,050,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
All state capitals by their nature have government jobs located there.In the 80's and 90's Ohio tried decentralization,moved agencies across the state out of Cbus,it proved alot more expensive,was deemed a failure
Technology has changed greatly since the 1980s and 1990s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 02:38 AM

113 posts, read 80,148 times
Watched the Northbank Condos being constructed from Nationwide Plaza. The only "skyscraper" built in the city in my lifetime.

Being a sprawling city, most companies decide to settle on the cheap land on the fringe of the city instead of opening up shop dowtown. I assume this is why downtown Columbus hasn`t built a skyscraper in years...

Gift or Curse? Maybe both.

Last edited by logongst; 04-17-2016 at 04:08 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 07:54 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,030,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logongst View Post
Watched the Northbank Condos being constructed from Nationwide Plaza. The only "skyscraper" built in the city in my lifetime.

Being a sprawling city, most companies decide to settle on the cheap land on the fringe of the city instead of opening up shop dowtown. I assume this is why downtown Columbus hasn`t built a skyscraper in years...

Gift or Curse? Maybe both.
I remember North Bank Condos going up: and touring one of the units. It's more than just that Columbus is sprawling. There are lots of sprawling suburbs around real cities and companies still choose to build high in the city vs a fringe suburb. Columbus needs policies that favor conditions for high-rises to be built, which it clearly does not have.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:05 AM

12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
I remember North Bank Condos going up: and touring one of the units. It's more than just that Columbus is sprawling. There are lots of sprawling suburbs around real cities and companies still choose to build high in the city vs a fringe suburb. Columbus needs policies that favor conditions for high-rises to be built, which it clearly does not have.
What conditions are those, exactly? Columbus has low vacancy rates, a strong economy and general low cost of living, all of which are attractive to new companies or for larger building construction. I think the one thing it does not have is national developers.

And if you're thinking transit, all of Columbus' skyscapers came in a period where there were no other options but a bus (with the exception of LeVeque). Cincinnati's most recent was built before the streetcar was under construction, and before it was even likely to be built. Cleveland has much more transit than Columbus and yet it has still only had a handful built in the last 30 years.

There are some rumors of potential skyscrapers coming up though: The recently vacated Dispatch site, particularly its large parking lot on Capital Square, a new tower that would include a new museum somewhere Downtown, and the Nationwide site on 4th, as it continues to bring in employees from the suburbs and grow in general.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:44 PM

372 posts, read 588,384 times
Yes, I think skyscrapers are in Columbus' future. Looks cool.

25-Story “Millennial Tower” Announced for Downtown Columbus | ColumbusUnderground.com

Old 06-03-2016, 07:01 AM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
Yes, I think skyscrapers are in Columbus' future. Looks cool.

25-Story “Millennial Tower” Announced for Downtown Columbus | ColumbusUnderground.com
Horrible name. Can't believe that got out of the meetings.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Horrible name. Can't believe that got out of the meetings.
It's a temporary name. An official one will come later, according to the developer.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It's a temporary name. An official one will come later, according to the developer.
That's good. I don't see how any self-respecting person could tell someone that they live in Millennial Tower.

Not really sure about the whole "live work play" thing though. I feel like they are pretty lame, judging by similar buildings I see in Boston. Not sure where these 20 somethings and early 30 somethings are getting all this money to blow on rent either. Just more young people isolating themselves it seems. As soon as this generation starts having more children, I think these places are in trouble.

Reading through the comments kind of surprised me in that everyone thinks it's so stunning and awesome looking. Reminds me of the Fenway neighborhood in Boston, i.e. sterile and alienating https://www.warrenre.com/uploads/ima...-exterior.jpeg

The bottom levels of a lot of these Fenway developments also have a bunch of boring stuff: Long Horn Steakhouse, Panera, Starbucks, Wahlburgers, etc. And a Tilted Kilt is on the way.

I just don't know why you'd move into this building when you could live in Victorian Village or German Village or some place way better.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
That's good. I don't see how any self-respecting person could tell someone that they live in Millennial Tower.

Not really sure about the whole "live work play" thing though. I feel like they are pretty lame, judging by similar buildings I see in Boston. Not sure where these 20 somethings and early 30 somethings are getting all this money to blow on rent either. Just more young people isolating themselves it seems. As soon as this generation starts having more children, I think these places are in trouble.

Reading through the comments kind of surprised me in that everyone thinks it's so stunning and awesome looking. Reminds me of the Fenway neighborhood in Boston, i.e. sterile and alienating https://www.warrenre.com/uploads/ima...-exterior.jpeg

The bottom levels of a lot of these Fenway developments also have a bunch of boring stuff: Long Horn Steakhouse, Panera, Starbucks, Wahlburgers, etc. And a Tilted Kilt is on the way.

I just don't know why you'd move into this building when you could live in Victorian Village or German Village or some place way better.
Different people have different living preferences. It's as simple as that. I think suburban living is the 9th circle of hell, but some people like that. Having all kinds of housing options is a good thing.
As far as these projects being in trouble at some point, that seems very doubtful to me.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Different people have different living preferences. It's as simple as that. I think suburban living is the 9th circle of hell, but some people like that. Having all kinds of housing options is a good thing.
As far as these projects being in trouble at some point, that seems very doubtful to me.
My concern is that people are spending their money on unnecessary dwellings, when they should be saving. Sure, do what you want with your money, but I don't think that's sustainable.

Also, that's what they said about condos in Miami in 2006. Interesting developments on that front again now, curiously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or