U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2014, 02:29 PM
 
372 posts, read 588,540 times
Reputation: 270

Advertisements

Although no major skyscrapers have gone up in downtown Columbus in over a decade, there has been quite a bit of mid-rise activity in the Arena District in the past several years, including the 20-story North Bank condo building, and a host of 5 or 6 story office buildings. If added together, those office buildings probably could have equated to a rather significant skyscraper, but I think smaller buildings that take up more city blocks is what Columbus needs given all of the surface parking lots. Currently, in the heart of downtown there is a 12-story office/apartment building just south of Columbus Commons that just topped out, and across the street an 8-story apartment buidling is about to go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2014, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Reputation: 5440
It's only a matter of time. Office vacancy Downtown is not particularly high, and it's been getting steadily better for the better part of the past 5 years now. I think it's just going to take a company that wants to be in the neighborhood and who has the resources to do it, because a true skyscraper is prohibitively expensive otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2014, 06:24 PM
 
Location: cleveland
2,021 posts, read 3,378,390 times
Reputation: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
The real downtown development that is occurring in each of our major cities is residential/hotel/mixe use...with many buildings available to renovate, you will continue to see that happen before any major Condo/Apt towers are built. So that also strikes out the chance for residental/hotel high rises.

Outside of Chicago and Minneapolis, new high rise development is nonexistent in most of the Midwest. Cleveland is getting it's new Hilton Hotel that's a high rise...but it's being paid for by the County Gov't...the demand simply isn't there for private developers...I think that will be a boondoggle to Cuyahoga County too...if a private developer doesn't see potential return, I highly doubt it will turn out profitable for the County.
Developer just announced another big project for cleveland. Google "nuCLEus Cleveland". Seems like the 3c's are doing OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Dublin, OH
2,359 posts, read 3,301,055 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Developer just announced another big project for cleveland. Google "nuCLEus Cleveland". Seems like the 3c's are doing OK.
All 3 have major development going on in and around downtown...just nothing really in the high rise...a lot of infill and rehab which is awesome. Creates a more walkable vibrant liveable city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 10:14 AM
 
Location: cleveland
2,021 posts, read 3,378,390 times
Reputation: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
All 3 have major development going on in and around downtown...just nothing really in the high rise...a lot of infill and rehab which is awesome. Creates a more walkable vibrant liveable city.
Cleveland has a multiple high rise project(announced this WK). " nuCLEus cleveland" (Google it, very cool). But I agree, mid rise are good also especially if it replaces ugly surface lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 AM
 
4,237 posts, read 3,287,874 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
The real downtown development that is occurring in each of our major cities is residential/hotel/mixe use...with many buildings available to renovate, you will continue to see that happen before any major Condo/Apt towers are built. So that also strikes out the chance for residental/hotel high rises.

Outside of Chicago and Minneapolis, new high rise development is nonexistent in most of the Midwest. Cleveland is getting it's new Hilton Hotel that's a high rise...but it's being paid for by the County Gov't...the demand simply isn't there for private developers...I think that will be a boondoggle to Cuyahoga County too...if a private developer doesn't see potential return, I highly doubt it will turn out profitable for the County.
Cuyahoga County made a wise investment with The Hilton. There's lots of private development in Cleveland, with high-rise residential on deck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Reputation: 5440
Maybe we should define what a high-rise is vs. mid-rise?

To me... low-rise is 1-4 stories. Mid is 5-19. High is anything 20 or over. Skycrapers are 30+. Supertalls are 50+.

Ohio has tons in the 1-19 story height, but few 20 or more. I know Cleveland has a few, Columbus has 1 with the Wexner Medical Center and I'm not sure about Cincinnati.

Almost all of Columbus' urban development recently has been between 4 and 12 stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 09:40 PM
 
4,237 posts, read 3,287,874 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
All 3 have major development going on in and around downtown...just nothing really in the high rise...a lot of infill and rehab which is awesome. Creates a more walkable vibrant liveable city.
This nuCLEus project in downtown Cleveland looks to have at least two high-rise buildings and the One University Circle development will be Cleveland's, possibly Ohio's, tallest residential building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Dublin, OH
2,359 posts, read 3,301,055 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
This nuCLEus project in downtown Cleveland looks to have at least two high-rise buildings and the One University Circle development will be Cleveland's, possibly Ohio's, tallest residential building.
Stark the developer who announced nuCLEus doesnt' have a reputation for coming through...he was to do major major development in the Warehouse District that had a lot of buzz...and everything fell through...so I'll believe nuCLEus when I actually see something go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Dublin, OH
2,359 posts, read 3,301,055 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Maybe we should define what a high-rise is vs. mid-rise?

To me... low-rise is 1-4 stories. Mid is 5-19. High is anything 20 or over. Skycrapers are 30+. Supertalls are 50+.

Ohio has tons in the 1-19 story height, but few 20 or more. I know Cleveland has a few, Columbus has 1 with the Wexner Medical Center and I'm not sure about Cincinnati.

Almost all of Columbus' urban development recently has been between 4 and 12 stories.
I agree w/ your definitions....to take it further...figure at least 10' per floor to get the heights here...a skyscraper to me is at least 300'...high rise 200'...I may go supertalls anything over 1000' though. Key Bank Tower in Cleveland is the only one I'd consider a Supertall in Ohio.

To answer about Cincinnati, 30 story Apt Towers are in planning stages...hopefully they come to fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top