U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:42 AM

14 posts, read 39,592 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am relocating to Columbus, OH. I am early 30's single, African American (AA) female, and looking for a diverse open area to reside. I would like to live somewhere were there are a good number of other AA professionals? The first year, I will rent (apartments) then the following year hopefully purchase a home? Any suggestion and advice are appreciated! What apartments do your recommend, what areas have the nice malls and shopping centers? Are the people progressive minded in Columbus? Will I have fun entertainment type things to do in Columbus. Are the winters horrible? I am coming from the South :0), so I do not know what a real winter is and do not think I want to know what should I expect in term of weather will I have to shovel snow .

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 PM

166 posts, read 244,100 times
I'm not sure if there are any areas of the city that are hot spots for AA young professionals specifically, but you probably can't go wrong with the Short North area, which includes Victorian Village, Italian Village, and Harrison West. It's a vibrant urban community just north of downtown with tons of stuff to do. Very progressive neighborhood, and a hub for young professionals in general. It is definitely majority white, but it is a very accepting community.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:22 PM

14 posts, read 39,592 times
Hi Robert,

Thanks for sharing. Being from the South, I am use to a good mix (mostly AA and in high profile positions), and I am not use to being the minority which is something which will definitely be odd. However, I am more for progressive which is why I was willing to leave the South and try the Midwest. However, I would like my cake and eat it to. I would like a good strong professional presence of African Americans with progressive communities that are diverse and comfortable to walk around. So, I kind of want the Midwest's version of an Atlanta suburb minus the thug culture. I want to be able to go to nice diverse clubs, participate in biking and jogging without being in a sea of one race given me weird stares, which in some are "POCKETS" definitely not the majority in the South were you still have the "this is our thing" mentality from some non-progressive minded people like there are not black people that play golf, cycle, or participate in marathons. However, for most parts of the South this is not a problem but the South could just be progressive when it comes to education, IT, green initiatives, healthier life-styles, etc. I do not believe in the antiquated notion of a "know your place" mentality, it was sickly wrong then and most definitely sickly wrong now. One of my close friends is a white female from San Francisco whom came to college in the South and got the ugliest stares because she would change her hair color very often to flamboyant colors but still chic. I thought the reactions she received were just flat out too backwards! I personally want to enjoy life without feeling restricted. I want to go to events and not feel this is a "for them or for us" type of vibe. So, if a community is progressive and inclusive, I would be fine. Just give me good shopping, a good church, decent weather and a beautiful scenery, and I am good! Any suggestions on mid west cities that would offer what I am looking for? Thank you for any and all advice you can offer!

Last edited by tiamariakia; 09-30-2014 at 03:07 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 06:44 PM

688 posts, read 863,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiamariakia View Post
Hi Robert,

Thanks for sharing. Being from the South, I am use to a good mix (mostly AA and in high profile positions), and I am not use to being the minority which is something which will definitely be odd. However, I am more for progressive which is why I was willing to leave the South and try the Midwest. However, I would like my cake and eat it to. I would like a good strong professional presence of African Americans with progressive communities that are diverse and comfortable to walk around. So, I kind of want the Midwest's version of an Atlanta suburb minus the thug culture. I want to be able to go to nice diverse clubs, participate in biking and jogging without being in a sea of one race given me weird stares, which in some are "POCKETS" definitely not the majority in the South were you still have the "this is our thing" mentality from some non-progressive minded people like there are not black people that play golf, cycle, or participate in marathons. However, for most parts of the South this is not a problem but the South could just be progressive when it comes to education, IT, green initiatives, healthier life-styles, etc. I do not believe in the antiquated notion of a "know your place" mentality, it was sickly wrong then and most definitely sickly wrong now. One of my close friends is a white female from San Francisco whom came to college in the South and got the ugliest stares because she would change her hair color very often to flamboyant colors but still chic. I thought the reactions she received were just flat out too backwards! I personally want to enjoy life without feeling restricted. I want to go to events and not feel this is a "for them or for us" type of vibe. So, if a community is progressive and inclusive, I would be fine. Just give me good shopping, a good church, decent weather and a beautiful scenery, and I am good! Any suggestions on mid west cities that would offer what I am looking for? Thank you for any and all advice you can offer!
Short North. Clintonville and generally anything around campus. You may also want to look into German Village. It's over 50% white but it doesn't get much more liberal than German Village in Columbus Ohio. Many young professionals and even a handful of professors live in the Village.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 PM

166 posts, read 244,100 times
If you want progressive, Columbus will be one of your best bets in the midwest. With Ohio State, our arts and music scenes, and one of the most active LGBT communities in the country, I think Columbus tends to be a little more progressive than other cities in the midwest.

Unfortunately I don't think you are going to find suburbs in midwestern cities that are predominantly black and upper middle class outside of maybe Chicago. You might want to look in the Berwick area, just south of Bexley. That's probably the closest thing we have to a progressive, professional suburb with a large African American presence (although it's not technically suburban, it is almost entirely single-family homes with decent sized lots).

The southeast suburbs tend to have more African Americans than other areas -- Pickerington and Reynoldsburg, for example. Also, although it doesn't have a large African American population, I sometimes hear Worthington is arguably the most progressive suburb of Columbus.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:19 AM

372 posts, read 588,876 times
Gahanna is as an area popular with professional African-Americans - it's very suburban though.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:30 PM

688 posts, read 863,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
Gahanna is as an area popular with professional African-Americans - it's very suburban though.
Suburban as in family centered activities. If you're into soccer moms, minivans, and that sort of thing then any of the outer ring suburbs will be fine for you - black, brown, white, yellow, or whatever. If you're looking for a yuppie (young urban professional) lifestyle I'd stay closer to downtown.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:52 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,301,623 times
Definitely Short North/Victorian Village/Harrison West is the area you should most look at. If your job is in one of the suburbs in the northern part of the county, then I'd look into Clintonville or the suburb of Worthington. None of these areas are going to be a majority African American, but you aren't going to be the only one either...they are very open minded accepting neighborhoods & communities where you will be welcomed w/ open arms....they are all walkable (especially SN/VV/HW)...SN has a ton of local owned shops and galleries and bars and restaraunts...all the upscale shopping is either out in Easton or up at Polaris which are in the burbs...

Old 10-02-2014, 11:30 AM

419 posts, read 676,669 times
Check out Victorian Village, you'll live that area.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:42 PM

87 posts, read 144,596 times
Arena District
Easton
Bexley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or