U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 08:01 PM

9 posts, read 9,544 times

Advertisements

Hello -
We have to move to Columbus from Boston. Our 5 year old son who is on spectrum, receives many services in Boston area. He has an IEP.
Can you please suggest which suburb is good for us. My work will be based in Dublin, OH. But I am flexible to commute to work for an hour or so each way. Our preference will be purely based on where our son can get good services.
Will public schools in Dublin or cities around, honor IEP from other states?
Do they offer special services like OT, PT and speech therapy for kids with need?
What other options do we have.

I was told that Dublin is better than other cities but not sure if we get service in publis schools are do we have to send him to a private schools.
Is private schools an option financially?
What good private schools are there for children with special needs in this area?

Our son is verbal and can be accomodated into integrated environment. Just needs special services.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 09:02 PM

12 posts, read 12,606 times
First off let me say, I do not have personal experience as a parent with Dublin City Schools, although I live in the central Ohio area. Dublin City Schools has an excellent reputation. I am also very familiar with several of the occupational therapists that work there, and they are extremely knowledgable. If your child has an iep, then any public school district in this area would be able to provide services, whether it's OT, PT or Speech. I can not speak to what services you would receive from a private or charter school. There are other districts that are equally good with serving children with special needs and are in proximity to Dublin, including Olentangy Schools, but if you're working in Dublin I would consider them first. I would recommend contacting Dublin (or any other district) directly, as they could better answer your questions.

Be assured, the services your child will receive here will be comparable to what he's been receiving in Boston.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:51 AM

259 posts, read 303,390 times
I don't know about other districts, but many people in our district (Worthington) take advantage of the Ohio Autism Scholarship. (Autism Scholarship Program | Ohio Department of Education ). I know of people utilizing the scholarship who speak highly of Step By Step and Haugland schools.

There is a FB group for families with kids with autism in Columbus. They may have some good resources for you.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 9,544 times
Thank you both for the help.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 AM

49 posts, read 79,504 times
We are a military family that has moved to several new states over the years. My son is fairly low functioning and requires multiple services. We will also be moving to Columbus next summer when my hubby retires from the Army. Based on your post, it sounds like you have never moved outside your current public school district with your child. If that is true, you need to learn about the IDEA - Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. The most important part of that right now for you is the tenet that states that the incoming school district (i.e. the one in Ohio) is required by law to provide comparable services to what you received in the outgoing district (Boston). So, theoretically, if your son has an IEP that includes speech therapy, etc. then the new district has to provide the "same" OR refer your child to a non-public agency (i.e. private school) who can. The fuzzy part of this law, though, is the definition of "comparable services." It's not a black and white concept. So it's definitely better to move to a district where you know the services are better, if you can afford it.

While not an absolute certainty, it's USUALLY better to move to the most affluent area you can afford because because those schools will have more money to provide services. However, it's not always true. I've done quite a bit of research over the last several months, and the general impression I get (from both parents and professionals) is that the best public programs for kids with special needs is Dublin. Olentangy also seems to rank up there. Upper Arlington, while great for general education and gifted students, doesn't seem to have a very good reputation for special needs. If you can afford Dublin or Olentangy districts, I would look there, especially if your job is in that area. Remember, though, that the districts in Ohio DO NOT correspond to the city/township boundaries. So always be sure to check the assigned school district for every home you look at.

If you wish to look at private schools, you need to learn about the Ohio Autism Scholarship as another poster stated. If you qualify, it will cover most (but probably not all) of the expenses of the private schools. It's a huge bonus and I don't know of any other state that offers it. There are at least four schools in the Columbus area that you should look at that may be good for your child. They are Oakstone, Haugland, Step by Step, and Helping Hands. There may be others but it would depend on the age and functioning level of your child.

I will be glad to talk to you more if you want to send me a PM. Hope this helps!

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or