Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 PM

8 posts, read 12,229 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

New to the forum so hello! However, I am looking for some advice.

I am familiar with Chicago and certain neighborhoods have a certain appeal to certain groups.

I am 24 and my boyfriend 30 along with our small dog. We are both young professionals, I likely will have job opportunities within downtown Columbus so I want to be close but neither of us are into the downtown lifestyle but would like to have the option. Additionally, our best friends live in the Westerville location.

What we need in a place is a rental, 2 bedrooms + and I would like to have a small patio/patch of grass that I can take my dog outside to do his business so preferably a town home or a one story apartment complex.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods and or complexes?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 07:24 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
I can't suggest any specific complexes, but are you wanting more suburban or more urban but not necessarily right Downtown?

Townhomes and home rentals are going to be hard to find, honestly. They haven't been building a ton of them in recent years and vacancy rates for them around the city are very, very low. You're better off trying to find a decent apartment.

For more urban neighborhoods but not necessarily in Downtown, the best are anywhere in the Short North, Grandview Heights, Upper Arlington, Clintonville, Old North Columbus, German Village and Bexley. Some of these places are pretty expensive. Less expensive options that are improving over time would be Old Towne East, East Franklinton and Weinland Park.

More suburban areas would be Worthington, Dublin, Hilliard and Westerville. There's also New Albany, but it's the most expensive area in the entire metro and would be the furthest away from your job if you work Downtown.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:52 AM

66 posts, read 114,713 times
YPs, semi-urban w/ short commute to downtown... I'd look at Grandview.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:52 PM

166 posts, read 343,913 times
There are a lot of duplexes/townhomes in Grandview Heights, Clintonville, and the southern/eastern edges of Upper Arlington. I think these areas will give you a nice combination of suburban feel with urban amenities while being a short commute to downtown. Keep in mind, it won't take nearly as long to get from one side of the city to the other here as it does in Chicago, so even if you are on the opposite side of the city from your friends in Westerville, they will still likely be less than a half hour away.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:38 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,901 times
The downtown lifestyle of Columbus is worlds apart from the Loop: more like a little urban neighborhood spread out by some parking lots.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
The downtown lifestyle of Columbus is worlds apart from the Loop: more like a little urban neighborhood spread out by some parking lots.
Columbus isn't Chicago? Breaking news.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:53 PM

Thank you guys for your help... some changes may occur and we may stay closer to Westerville... I like the Lakes at Olentangy but the kitchen is so small ... keeping a look out.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:42 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
Given your best friends are in Westerville, I think living within 10 miles of it makes most sense. I believe M/I Schottenstein have built a couple apt complexes they call "Grand" around 71 and 270 on the Northside.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:49 AM

394 posts, read 1,430,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssommer View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum so hello! However, I am looking for some advice.

I am familiar with Chicago and certain neighborhoods have a certain appeal to certain groups.

I am 24 and my boyfriend 30 along with our small dog. We are both young professionals, I likely will have job opportunities within downtown Columbus so I want to be close but neither of us are into the downtown lifestyle but would like to have the option. Additionally, our best friends live in the Westerville location.

What we need in a place is a rental, 2 bedrooms + and I would like to have a small patio/patch of grass that I can take my dog outside to do his business so preferably a town home or a one story apartment complex.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods and or complexes?

Thanks!
Dublin/Powell/Worthington/Upper Arlington. All are perfect for what you're looking for. I had a great townhouse in the Sawmill/Bethel/Henderson roads area that I miss to this day.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Given your best friends are in Westerville, I think living within 10 miles of it makes most sense. I believe M/I Schottenstein have built a couple apt complexes they call "Grand" around 71 and 270 on the Northside.
Yes, just saw those yesterday.... also found Polaris Place... almost seems perfect, not sure of the rent though.

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus