U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 PM

33 posts, read 53,982 times

Advertisements

As far as Powell I will say it's comparable to Dublin. The city planning is not nearly as well done as Dublin and with the recent school tax voted yes in Olentangy schools the taxes will actually be very close. Give that I would say Dublin is the better value. But the Olentangy/Powell residents are definitely, without question less snobby. It's a hard thing to explain and I know it's a generalization but that's how i feel. In Powell I actually like the location better because you have Dublin to the West and Polaris to the East. Basically sandwiched quite nicely.

Overall thought if a best friend was moving to town I would vote Dublin. Why? Because Dublin has a lot of business tax and will be a great place to live for years and years. It's the safest bet. Even with the real estate downturn Dublin didn't drop much. Dublin may very well be the best planned city that I've ever seen. Take a look at their bike path network and parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 08:35 PM

23 posts, read 67,573 times
As a guy who grew up in Columbus and attended Southwestern City Schools, Groveport-Madison Local Schools, and Hilliard City Schools, I am a bit amused by this thread. I ended up graduating from Hilliard when it still had one high school, but that was after a fair bit of bouncing around.

My parents still live in what was earlier called the "Hillbus" part of the Hilliard school district. (I've never heard of that term previously, but I also find that amusing, because it was never a big deal when there was still only one high school.)

To try to find huge differences between Hilliard, Dublin, and Powell/Olentangy is really like arguing over driving a Lexus versus an Infiniti versus an Acura. I mean, you're not arguing about going to Dublin schools versus Columbus schools here. I think this discussion needs a bit of perspective, which I think I can add since my Dad currently works for Columbus City Schools.

You really can't go wrong with any of the three areas mentioned -- Hilliard, Dublin, or Powell. Now, Powell is the relative newcomer to the party, since up until a few years ago, few people knew there was even a City of Powell. It's definitely the new kid on the block that still has a lot of opportunity to make/change the decisions that will affect its future. I would say the die isn't as fully cast there as it is in Dublin or Hilliard.

People have known about Dublin for quite a while now, because of Jack Nicklaus & Muirfield Village. I was impressed that someone mentioned the pressure of living up to the Muirfield image is sometimes a burden in some ways.

However, Dublin has an earned reputation for being an upscale community, and my Dad once worked for Dublin schools as well. I agree with the previous comment that Dublin is your safest bet from a purely financial perspective. (I even have a MBA in finance, so I know what I'm talking about on that one. LOL!)

Hilliard will never, IMO, be as upscale as Dublin. As mentioned previously in the thread, there is simply more affordable housing in Hilliard than there is in Dublin, relatively-speaking. There are some ritzy subdivisions in Hilliard, but they aren't as common as they are in Dublin.

One could consider that both a blessing and a curse. As also mentioned previously in the thread, you're going to meet a lot greater variety of people in Hilliard's schools than you will in Dublin's schools. However, that also means you're going to meet a greater variety of parents' attitudes about education and that is a tension that Hilliard has had to manage that Dublin has not, for the most part.

Dublin also has the built-in advantage of having a lot more corporate office building properties that greatly benefit the homeowner, since they're paying property taxes into the school district, just like a homeowner. The greater the ratio of corporate office buildings to homes, the less directly burdensome levies will be on homeowners.

Hilliard, unfortunately, has the opposite scenario. The average homeowner has to pick up a greater proportion of the tab to educate that home's children, since there isn't as much commercial development in Hilliard. Hilliard is more of your traditional bedroom community with fewer office buildings.

As someone who went on to Case Western Reserve University after graduating from Hilliard High School, I can definitely say your kids will be fine in Hilliard if you're doing your part at home. The only question is, what kind of experience do you want your child to have for K-12? Only you can answer that.

BTW, if you want an experience more like the one I had while living in Hilliard, you're going to have to move out a lot further to some place like Plain City or Marysville. The old days of having a large FFA or 4-H club in Hilliard or Dublin have long passed, much to my parents' chagrin. However, my aunt and uncle moved out there to get away from Hilliard. They said Hilliard had gotten too "citified" and they couldn't take it any more.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:17 PM

26 posts, read 95,199 times
ex CMHer -

good post....thanks!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 PM

197 posts, read 564,884 times
I'd say that the posts by JilliO and ExCMHer pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:14 PM

26 posts, read 95,199 times
What is Plain City like? I have not heard much about that community.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:02 AM

13,474 posts, read 16,338,489 times
It is a very small and quaint country area, which has a couple of fairly large "typical" developments done within the past five or so years.

I would advise going out there and looking around one afternoon, and stopping by Der Dutchman for lunch or dinner.

Plain City, Ohio (OH) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Der Dutchman Restaurant of Plain City

Old 03-19-2008, 12:53 PM

23 posts, read 67,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgresak View Post
What is Plain City like? I have not heard much about that community.
In essence, Plain City is what Dublin and Hilliard were 30 years ago. It's more rural, and there is still plenty of farmland.

My aunt and uncle live in one of those newer subdivisions out there that look like the subdivisions you see in Hilliard & Dublin. I think they just put some moratorium in place to slow down the growth, but I think it's inevitable that 30 years from now, they'll be having the same discussions that Dublin & Hilliard have today.

Jonathan Alder High School (the one high school in Plain City today) is virtually brand new, and was rated Excellent by the Ohio ODE. That's probably a surprise to some people, but not to me.

I can't recall where you'll be working, but if you'll be working in downtown Columbus, that would be a serious haul. It would turn a normal Columbus commute (which can barely be called a commute) into an Atlanta or DC commute, which is horrendous. I've lived in Atlanta, and I live in DC now; I unfortunately know what a commute is.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2008, 04:32 PM

197 posts, read 564,884 times
For whatever it's worth, here are the Performance Index Scores of the high schools in Dublin, Hilliard, Olentangy and Plain City. All of these high schools were rated Excellent by the ODE.

From what I know & have heard, it seems like Jonathan Alder is probably one of the better rural/semi-rural districts out there. And I'm not just talking about JA's quite good scores on standardized tests. (Standardized test scores are just one measure, after all). JA just seems quite solid overall.

It also seems a little more upscale than most other rural/semi-rural districts. IMHO, Plain City and Jonathan Alder are definitely worth checking out. Just know that it is not suburban in feel - yet.

Dublin Jerome - 111.3
Dublin Coffman - 109.3
Olentangy Liberty - 108.2
Hilliard Davidson - 105.3
Olentangy - 104.8
Dublin Scioto - 104.6
Hilliard Darby - 104.2
Jonathan Alder - 101.3

Last edited by bgfalcons86; 03-19-2008 at 05:11 PM..

Old 03-29-2008, 02:56 PM

33 posts, read 128,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCMHer View Post

My parents still live in what was earlier called the "Hillbus" part of the Hilliard school district. (I've never heard of that term previously, but I also find that amusing, because it was never a big deal when there was still only one high school.)
I am glad you find my Hillbus comment amusing, it is something I came up with when telling people where I purchased my home, due to the school district/zip code/city designation on my house.

My comments were for the person above who had mentioned the Tartan Fields and Muirfield areas where people get caught up in the whole social status symbol/keeping up with the Joneses way of life. I don't have any kids as stated earlier, and I didn't hang around the Hilliard area when I was younger so I was more or less putting the question out there on how the kids were to each other with the whole Hillbus deal and the different schools now. You could have someone such as myself going to Hilliard schools and living in Columbus and another kid living in Hilliard attending Hilliard schools, I just didn't know if the kids even cared or if it added to the social classes that already exist within teenagers in school.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:14 PM

119 posts, read 412,004 times
I have lived in Plain City all my life and i can honestly say that for being only ten minutes away from Dublin, there are huge differences in the attitudes of the people (As well as Powell). The mindset there decidedly snobby (for lack of a better word) and although Dublin is extremely well planned and beautifully manicured, it lacks character. Not to say that Plain City does not have problems, but the people and children here are much more down to earth and even what you would call "rich" children don't seem to have as much of a sense of entitlement. The school system for Plain City (Jonathan Alder) is excellent with a One New Elementary in about 2004, High School built in 2006 and more coming in the future the district is in excellent shape. If you have any other questions I would be happy to oblige, its safe to say I am a Plain City expert (considering I've lived here forever), So I might as well use my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus