U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:33 PM

134 posts, read 113,697 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move out to Ohio because I live in Connecticut and it's soooo expensive to live here. I fell in love with Columbus when my daughter started OSU. If I'm going to make this big ol' life change at 51, I really want to make sure where I live is really what I want. That being said...I'm looking for a neighborhood that's kind of funky, has a real 'neighborhood' feel, is walking distance to a grocery store or CVS or coffee shop. I need it to be cheap, but not so cheap that I'm surrounded by neighbors parking on the lawn or absentee landlords packing the houses; I get enough of that where I am now! I'm not afraid of diversity, I don't need to worry about schools. That being said (and I'm sure it's a tall order) where would you suggest I look? Love German Village, but can't afford it for sure! Clintonville looks great, but I don't think I can afford that either. I'm a teacher/artist. Brainstorm for me, people! Any suggestions!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 07:30 AM

259 posts, read 303,871 times
I would say Worthington or Westerville or Clintonville. Also, I think you need to be clearer about your definition of "cheap". You can also get small houses that are in the Columbus school district but walkable to Grandview cheaper than buying in Grandview proper, so add that to your list too. You can find rentals and cheaper houses in Westerville and Clintonville too.

Houses that are walkable to Old Worthington range from $200-$600,000. What kind of house do you want? How many bedrooms, style, age of construction? You can also find condos or rentals in Worthington that are even cheaper than a house mortgage, but still walkable. I have posted many times about the benefits of Worthington, so click on my username and look at my older posts. Worthington is a real old-school community. It has a wonderful, year-round farmer's market and a new walkable natural grocery store is being built right now, award-winning libraries, a really great community center, bike trails, etc. If you lean toward the liberal/crunchy end of the spectrum, you will love the people in Colonial Hills (which is a neighborhood) but most of the walkable neighborhoods are pretty laid back.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 AM

12,785 posts, read 12,759,016 times
If you like German Village, Merion Village to the south is much cheaper, but it gradually improving overall. Or Old Towne East... incredibly cheap houses very close to Downtown. Again, rough around the edges, but also continuously on the way up. Or Weinland Park, same story. Walkable to High Street and the Short North, and there's a Kroger grocery store nearby.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:53 PM

688 posts, read 863,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
If you like German Village, Merion Village to the south is much cheaper, but it gradually improving overall. Or Old Towne East... incredibly cheap houses very close to Downtown. Again, rough around the edges, but also continuously on the way up. Or Weinland Park, same story. Walkable to High Street and the Short North, and there's a Kroger grocery store nearby.
Make sure to budget for an assault rifle. Improving or not, I've lost count how many colleagues and friends have been victims of property crime in German Village and Merion Village is no better.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:49 AM

11,795 posts, read 9,721,360 times
lol...assault rifle. I was going to recommend Merion Village or Hungarian Village (just south of MV), since it's cheaper than GV but still in striking distance to the cafes & bars and such. The S. High corridor in general is cheaper than N. High, but like anywhere else, the closer (more walkable) to entertainment, the more expensive it's gonna be.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:45 AM

575 posts, read 936,745 times
I think you'd like Clintonville. It's much more affordable but still has the things you're looking for. I wouldn't go too far North though. Also, check out the Columbus City Police Dept's website. They have a crime map on there so you can check crime in the area you want to move. Short North is perfect for what you want too (very artsy, lots of diversity) but I don't know if that would be in your budget.

What exactly is cheap to you? Are you wanting to rent or buy? How many bedrooms and bathrooms?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:32 AM

12,785 posts, read 12,759,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Make sure to budget for an assault rifle. Improving or not, I've lost count how many colleagues and friends have been victims of property crime in German Village and Merion Village is no better.
That's a pretty large exaggeration. I used to live in Hilltop, which has a way worse crime reputation than either German or Merion villages and had no issues. And crime is falling in all these areas. Crime happens everywhere... that doesn't make it necessarily unsafe. It has to be put into context like anything else. I have friends that have been mugged at gunpoint in places like Hilliard and Dublin, but neither has a reputation for being dangerous.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:39 AM

688 posts, read 863,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That's a pretty large exaggeration. I used to live in Hilltop, which has a way worse crime reputation than either German or Merion villages and had no issues. And crime is falling in all these areas. Crime happens everywhere... that doesn't make it necessarily unsafe. It has to be put into context like anything else. I have friends that have been mugged at gunpoint in places like Hilliard and Dublin, but neither has a reputation for being dangerous.
German Village and Merion Village are beacons for property crime. They are both gentrified or undergoing gentrification but are yet surrounded by low income ghettos just across Parson Ave. I am not going compare GV or MV to The Bottoms or any other areas with poor demographics and I won't to get in to official crime statistics because I don't know a lot of people in Franklinton and West Columbus. What I will say is I know and have worked with several people that have decided to settle in German Village for its charm, walkability, and proximity to downtown. These same people disproportionately report being victims of theft and property damage (car break-in) than colleagues from Hilliard, Dublin, and other suburbs of Columbus.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:30 AM

12 posts, read 12,623 times
Short North would be ideal (definitely artsy, funky and hip), but I think it would be too expensive. I would suggest Grandview or Clintonville. To be more affordable, you may have to live a little farther away from the downtown areas but not that far away. Not sure if you're wanting to buy a home or rent, but you can find some smaller homes that are affordable in the Beechwold area of Clintonville (south of Morse Rd, east of High Street). I also wonder if Victorian Village would be a good fit. I'm not as familiar with that area, but it's within walking distance of the Short North.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:00 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,031,781 times
Since when do Worthington or Westerville qualify as "funky"? Has J Crew gone all avant-garde while I wasn't paying attention? Unless you're wealthy, white, and dress plainly (see above reference) neither suburb fits what you're describing. Speaking of wealthy, the prices of both are out since you said German Village and Clintonville have been vetted due to price.

I'm thinking Old North would be a solid fit: just south of Clintonville and less expensive. Its stretch of High St from Arcadia to Lane is definitely more busy than the neighboring one just north in Clintonville, but also safer and more walkable (north of Arcadia, High St becomes two lanes wider and is designed to function like a mini-highway: pedestrians keep getting killed here as a result on occasion). The rule of thumb is to stay a few blocks or so off of High St and stay north of Norwich to keep a buffer from the fratboy types down south. There's largely a mix of artists, musicians (be sure to check out the area at night to hear if there are bands practicing next door when you'd be wanting to sleep), bohemian types in general. Check out Oakland Ave east of High on streetview: lots of nice brick homes there.

The businesses here make it the quirkiest neighborhood in the city: your neighborhood coffeeshop would be Kafe Kerouac: also sells books, vinyl, and can even make your coffee Irish if you wish and there's Mediterranean Foods for your nearest grocery store. The neighborhood is a stable one and has been for a long time. Take a look at the businesses lining High and the ones tucked away on Summit to the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus