U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:17 PM

703 posts, read 655,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyellowdog36 View Post
Ehhh...really, really nice is one of the last ways I'd ever describe Carmel. I'm fairly certain our child (not children) who isn't due to make his grand entrance for another 5 months, will do wonderfully in the highly rated Olentangy school system 5 years from now. I feel terrible that your reading comprehension isn't better. *Sigh*
Carmel has one of the best public school systems in the country, and the homes are priced very nicely for the quality. Your statement about my reading comprehension makes no sense. I know a lot about how the public school system functions, and I can tell you that you're making a mistake by putting them through Olentangy. Dublin has a lot more to offer. I'm telling you right now. I'm telling you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:43 AM

259 posts, read 303,390 times
BigYellowDog36,
I am sure you will be very pleased with your new home. Welcome to the area! Don't let negative people get you down. There are a lot of great places to live in Central Ohio. I have heard lots of good things about Powell and I am sure your new home will be lovely.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrrl7 View Post
BigYellowDog36,
I am sure you will be very pleased with your new home. Welcome to the area! Don't let negative people get you down. There are a lot of great places to live in Central Ohio. I have heard lots of good things about Powell and I am sure your new home will be lovely.
I've heard the opposite of Powell. It's not a bad place to live, but commute times and the Olentangy school system are going to be a real let down. I know a few people who went through Olentangy, and they wished they would have went to neighboring Dublin or Hilliard at the very least. Come on, SG, you know Columbus.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 10,537 times
Supergrrl7 ~ thank you!! We are beyond excited for all the wonderful possibilities this move will bring...great new job, house, city...my husband and brother have already decided to go in on Blue Jackets season tickets together and my biggest excitement is that Columbus has a Bikram Hot Yoga studio :-) We have been athletically deprived lol

lewimaech235 ~ you wrote that you feel terrible that my children (plural) are getting into the Olentangy school system and that I'm making a mistake by putting them (plural) through Olentangy As previously stated, I currently do not have children. My husband and I are, however, expecting our first child (singular) in May and we are quite trusting of the ultrasounds that have shown only one baby. Reading comprehension includes knowing the difference between singular and plural. Time to tighten up!

Old 12-30-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Supergrrl7 ~ thank you!! We are beyond excited for all the wonderful possibilities this move will bring...great new job, house, city...my husband and brother have already decided to go in on Blue Jackets season tickets together and my biggest excitement is that Columbus has a Bikram Hot Yoga studio :-) We have been athletically deprived lol

lewimaech235 ~ you wrote that you feel terrible that my children (plural) are getting into the Olentangy school system and that I'm making a mistake by putting them (plural) through Olentangy As previously stated, I currently do not have children. My husband and I are, however, expecting our first child (singular) in May and we are quite trusting of the ultrasounds that have shown only one baby. Reading comprehension includes knowing the difference between singular and plural. Time to tighten up!
You're just arguing semantics with me. It's probably because I'm trying to get to the point. This isn't my graduate school essay. I just don't want you to regret the decision you made. I was reading a thread on the Carmel, IN forum, and they were talking about how people are moving out for a little bit, and then going back. I hope you don't do that. You know it's not good to move around constantly when you have children.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:47 AM

12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
And Carmel is a really, really nice suburb. It's too bad you chose Powell. I feel terrible that your children are getting into the Olentangy school system. *Sigh*
Geeze, what is with you? Are you intentionally trying to alienate every single person looking for advice?

Olentangy may not be the #1 district in the metro, but they are still highly-rated schools and their kids will still receive a great education.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Ehhh...really, really nice is one of the last ways I'd ever describe Carmel. I'm fairly certain our child (not children) who isn't due to make his grand entrance for another 5 months, will do wonderfully in the highly rated Olentangy school system 5 years from now. I feel terrible that your reading comprehension isn't better. *Sigh*
I wouldn't pay any attention to that, it seems to be a pattern with this poster. Olentangy is a great district and I hope you love living in the area.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Geeze, what is with you? Are you intentionally trying to alienate every single person looking for advice?

Olentangy may not be the #1 district in the metro, but they are still highly-rated schools and their kids will still receive a great education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I wouldn't pay any attention to that, it seems to be a pattern with this poster. Olentangy is a great district and I hope you love living in the area.
I don't try to alienate anyone, but when you're coming on here looking for advice, then I'm going to tell you the truth. Why would I tell you something that isn't true? Olentangy might be better than some of the rural and micropolitan schools in Ohio, but for Columbus, it's no better than Canal Winchester. If I were trying to get my kid to Harvard through the public school system, and I were choosing between Dublin and Powell, I would definitely not go with Powell just because of the school system. Not only that, but it's so far away from anything compared to the other locations around Columbus. I don't know. She'll figure it out on her own when her child goes to Ohio State.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
I don't try to alienate anyone, but when you're coming on here looking for advice, then I'm going to tell you the truth. Why would I tell you something that isn't true? Olentangy might be better than some of the rural and micropolitan schools in Ohio, but for Columbus, it's no better than Canal Winchester. If I were trying to get my kid to Harvard through the public school system, and I were choosing between Dublin and Powell, I would definitely not go with Powell just because of the school system. Not only that, but it's so far away from anything compared to the other locations around Columbus. I don't know. She'll figure it out on her own when her child goes to Ohio State.
You confuse the giving of advice with making judgments as to someone's character and morality. If you think Dublin is the better district, that's fine, and you can say as much. But you take it further and try to lay one some kind of unnecessary guilt trip.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:15 AM

7 posts, read 10,537 times
Wow.
Well that sealed the deal for me. Clearly Powell is better than Dublin.
And all along I was just inquiring about the early-morning commute...

Thank you andyinzihuatanejo for all of your helpful input and the courage to tell your story. I can't imagine the anguish you had to go through right now; reliving the rise and fall of your personal empire, the feelings of inadequacy rushing over you with the knowledge that you were underminded by a mere Olentangy Public School district/Ohio State graduate and of course I will never be able to repay your being so generous as to devote your prison internet time to the future of my unborn child.

Bravo andyinzihuatanejo!! You have restored my faith in humanity on this 2014 New Year's Eve eve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus