Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 PM

8 posts, read 10,391 times

Advertisements

I travel to Columbus for work regularly and the opportunity may arise for a two year stint in the area in the near future. I am just trying to get an extremely early idea of where my wife and I would want to live if I do move so I can check those areas out when I'm in town next.

Currently, my wife and I own a house in a neighborhood of Birmingham AL. It is a fairly progressive, diverse, and eclectic neighborhood that is home to many young professional couples, widows, artists, hipsters, LGBT, etc. We are both in our late 20's and love our community and it would be great if we found something similar in the Columbus area.

So, here is the laundry list:
- $1000/month rent max (buying is not on the table)
- Apartment preferred, but would entertain a house if it were more ideal for the area we are looking for
- Pet friendly
- Walkable and close to a decent park
- Politically, religiously, ethnically diverse
- Close to good restaurants/bars
- Safe
- Quick access to 33 west in the morning, and back from 33 east in the afternoon (work would be west of Marysville)

Thanks for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 12:43 PM

5,267 posts, read 5,189,202 times
While they won't be really walkable, I would look in Dublin at the many apartment communities here...many of the newer ones have great features and are close to many parks and walking trails. Several brand new ones are just blocks from the Mall at Tuttle Crossing as well which puts you in close proximity to restaraunts and shopping. (Chains yes but you won't find anything eclectic outside of close in urban neighborhoods which would put you quite far from Marysville)

Everything in the Dublin area is quite safe. Politically its typical suburbia but most people will at least keep their opinions to themselves. As a gay man I haven't felt out of place here either (my office is in Dublin too and i like being close enough to work that I can get home at lunch time...my feelings are live close to your workplace because you go there 5 times a weeek..at most you'll go out 2 times per week so why would you need to be closer to that...I don't like wasting time driving or the gas).

Old 01-19-2015, 10:06 PM

8 posts, read 10,391 times
Thank you both for the responses.

I am fairly familiar with Marysville. There is a pizza place with homemade root beer floats that is a favorite of mine. My wife and I do not have kids, and it seems like a very family oriented town. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just don't think we are ready to be that far outside of the city. No talk of kids either... yet.

Dublin is a possibility. I am more familiar with it and have stayed there many nights. I have done the drive out on 33 west and I know it is very reasonable from most anywhere in Dublin. Maybe it is because I have stayed there so frequently and I just feel like I already know it, but I am really looking for something different I think. It is a nice town though.

What could I expect as far as traffic from Grandview Heights or Upper Arlington to Marysville?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:58 AM

275 posts, read 452,651 times
I commute to Hilliard from Marysville and back daily.

The traffic is never unbearable. Typical big-city freeway stuff. It's never at a standstill, and rarely does it crawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus