Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,733 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Columbus soon to start a new job, and I'm hoping to live in Victorian Village. I don't think it's the best time of year to rent in this area, as there doesn't seem to be much available, particularly because I have a small dog, as well.

I'm looking at a 2BR place for $1500. I'll be making about $55,000 gross. I know the typical 30% of income calculation, but from those who know the area, would it be reasonable and livable to pay $1500 a month? I do pay about $400-600 total a month for loans, car payment, etc. The place I'm looking at includes water and trash, doesn't require extra pet rent or deposit, and has a washer/dryer in the unit.

I would be able to walk nearly everywhere; I could walk to work in 20 minutes, and there's also a bus that would get me there in less than 10 minutes. I'd also be able to walk to restaurants, bars, coffee shops, the library, etc. I would still have my car, but I wouldn't have to pay for parking, and I would probably only drive regularly to the grocery store and occasionally elsewhere. (I've lived in Columbus before, and even in a less central location, I only filled up my car about once a month, so gas shouldn't be much of an expense.)

Although I would prefer a 2BR, I would be willing to rent a 1BR. I haven't found much for less than $1000, though, which is hard for me to justify when I can find a 2BR for $1500 or less. I would also be willing to rent in Italian Village or Harrison West, but haven't found any properties that I like as much as the one I mentioned.

Any thoughts or advice? Is $1500 a month outrageous, or is it reasonable for the area and my income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 07:56 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
$1500 for a 1-bedroom is probably on the high side, but not necessarily for that area. As you have discovered, vacancies are just about non-existent, so rentals have come up in price in recent years.

Is VV the only area you've looked? Have you tried Downtown/Arena District or anywhere else?

Old 12-20-2014, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,733 times
It's actually a 2 bedroom that I'm looking at for $1500. I haven't looked much downtown or in the Arena District as I really want to be within walking distance from work, but I have browsed a little bit in other areas.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudleyK View Post
It's actually a 2 bedroom that I'm looking at for $1500. I haven't looked much downtown or in the Arena District as I really want to be within walking distance from work, but I have browsed a little bit in other areas.
Then I'd say go for it if it's 2 bedrooms, especially if you can walk to work. That's a lot of money you'd end up saving from having to drive or take transit. And for 2 bedrooms, that's not too bad for that area. You'll be close to a lot of things.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 AM

212 posts, read 199,270 times
This is why young people have no savings. You should be aiming for $800 a month in living expenses. That's rent, utilities, insurance, everything.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
This is why young people have no savings. You should be aiming for $800 a month in living expenses. That's rent, utilities, insurance, everything.
Some people are willing to pay a premium to be near the things they want, or to be in the neighborhood they want. That's not something that only young people do.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Some people are willing to pay a premium to be near the things they want, or to be in the neighborhood they want. That's not something that only young people do.
And then complain when Social Security can't pay for a decent lifestyle for their final 30 years. This guy has car payments, I assume he means school loans, and makes only 55k, but wants to spend almost half of his take home pay on rent, not including utilities? Just because you can pay for things doesn't mean you can afford them.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:01 PM

80 posts, read 67,587 times
Life is short. Why would you postpone enjoyment during your best years?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:37 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
And then complain when Social Security can't pay for a decent lifestyle for their final 30 years. This guy has car payments, I assume he means school loans, and makes only 55k, but wants to spend almost half of his take home pay on rent, not including utilities? Just because you can pay for things doesn't mean you can afford them.
It's the millennial mindset. Why pay $800 and save when you can pay $1500

Old 10-26-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sruckus View Post
Life is short. Why would you postpone enjoyment during your best years?
Life is not short. Most young people will never be able to retire. Much like many folks who should be at an age they can retire now. Retirement is the "golden age". Your 20s and 30s aren't your best years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus