U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:41 PM

418 posts, read 419,004 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at houses in the New Albany, Blacklick and surrounding areas and the quality of the construction is very poor. The majority of houses are less than 10 years old and have major problems. The foundations are cracked, exterior stucco has water damage, and the list goes on and on. These houses are not what I would consider cheap. They are 359k and up. Why is the quality so poor? I don't think that a house that is less than 10 years old should have as many problems as the houses that I am seeing. The big box builders are the worst offenders. I have seen people use gorilla glue to seal leaky windows in a house selling for over 400k. People using extension cords for major basement renovations. Shoddy work in the installation of bathrooms. It is so sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 06:41 AM

703 posts, read 655,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
I have been looking at houses in the New Albany, Blacklick and surrounding areas and the quality of the construction is very poor. The majority of houses are less than 10 years old and have major problems. The foundations are cracked, exterior stucco has water damage, and the list goes on and on. These houses are not what I would consider cheap. They are 359k and up. Why is the quality so poor? I don't think that a house that is less than 10 years old should have as many problems as the houses that I am seeing. The big box builders are the worst offenders. I have seen people use gorilla glue to seal leaky windows in a house selling for over 400k. People using extension cords for major basement renovations. Shoddy work in the installation of bathrooms. It is so sad.
That is just amazing. Yeah, don't expect that much from that vicinity of Columbus. It's not really that good. Good Insight.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:01 AM

146 posts, read 286,442 times
Production built homes are unfortunately going to show these issues, this isn't just a New Albany, Blacklick issue.... They are built as quick and as cheap as they can with every value engineering trick you can think of. Unless you stay on top of your builder and visit the site everyday, poor craftsmanship can be a big issue.

Before I would buy any of these homes I would research who the original builder was and if there were any major claims during that era' against them. There are good builders out there, but unfortunately the pace and the way the industry runs makes finding a good craftsmanship tough.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other1 View Post
Production built homes are unfortunately going to show these issues, this isn't just a New Albany, Blacklick issue.... They are built as quick and as cheap as they can with every value engineering trick you can think of. Unless you stay on top of your builder and visit the site everyday, poor craftsmanship can be a big issue.

Before I would buy any of these homes I would research who the original builder was and if there were any major claims during that era' against them. There are good builders out there, but unfortunately the pace and the way the industry runs makes finding a good craftsmanship tough.
I don't believe it's a New Albany issue. It's more of a Blacklick issue.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:13 PM

688 posts, read 862,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
I don't believe it's a New Albany issue. It's more of a Blacklick issue.
No, it definitely is a New Albany issue. I have more than a few friends who after deciding to remodel discovered shoddy workmanship on their New Albany homes.

Muffy1, for a litmus test consider when the home you are looking at was built. If it was built in the post-2000 real estate boom then chances are it has the potential for shoddy workmanship. The real estate market was really humming after the Federal Reserve took interest rates down to 1% following 9/11. With so much demand, builders could hardly keep up and they subcontracted out a lot of the construction work. Blacklick and New Albany are the quintessential suburbs that grew up during this time. Gahanna less so. There may be a handful of houses that were built post-2000, but most were built in the '80s and '90s. So while they may be slightly dated and in need of a makeover, they will not likely harbor the same issues as outer ring suburbs like NA and Blacklick. And not to pick on NA and Blacklick exclusively. Again, any home built in this area from ~2001-08 is a candidate for cheap subs to have done the build. It's just that the bulk of the housing stock in these two aforementioned communities was constructed during this time.

The best thing you can do is hire a qualified home inspector and let them know of your concerns. They won't go removing drywall sheets but they should have insight as to whether there are clues a home is going to be a problem for you.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
No, it definitely is a New Albany issue. I have more than a few friends who after deciding to remodel discovered shoddy workmanship on their New Albany homes.

Muffy1, for a litmus test consider when the home you are looking at was built. If it was built in the post-2000 real estate boom then chances are it has the potential for shoddy workmanship. The real estate market was really humming after the Federal Reserve took interest rates down to 1% following 9/11. With so much demand, builders could hardly keep up and they subcontracted out a lot of the construction work. Blacklick and New Albany are the quintessential suburbs that grew up during this time. Gahanna less so. There may be a handful of houses that were built post-2000, but most were built in the '80s and '90s. So while they may be slightly dated and in need of a makeover, they will not likely harbor the same issues as outer ring suburbs like NA and Blacklick. And not to pick on NA and Blacklick exclusively. Again, any home built in this area from ~2001-08 is a candidate for cheap subs to have done the build. It's just that the bulk of the housing stock in these two aforementioned communities was constructed during this time.

The best thing you can do is hire a qualified home inspector and let them know of your concerns. They won't go removing drywall sheets but they should have insight as to whether there are clues a home is going to be a problem for you.
I definitely disagree with that. The most represented homes in New Albany (what it's known for) would be the $600,00 homes (brick & new). If you read some of the reviews of those homes and quality reviews, they say that those homes are in good standing customer and construction wise. It's some of the cheaper homes that they tried to cram into those areas.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I definitely disagree with that. The most represented homes in New Albany (what it's known for) would be the $600,00 homes (brick & new). If you read some of the reviews of those homes and quality reviews, they say that those homes are in good standing customer and construction wise. It's some of the cheaper homes that they tried to cram into those areas.
Money doesn't always buy quality. What I posit is that in Central Ohio the build year is a greater determinant of the odds of subpar construction. I'm not making this up. Many of those nice looking Georgian style home in NA are nothing but gilded garbage. I have current and former coworkers that own exactly the home you describe - $500k and up, and unfortunately some of them have experienced the shoddy workmanship NA is known for.

And again, not to pick on NA. Up in your neck of the woods, I'm sure you are familiar with Tartan Fields. Go ask some of those homeowners how they like having to completely replace the facades of their homes due to poor workmanship. Not only did they have the privilege of paying half a million dollars for their post-2000 build year homes, but now they get to drop another six figures to fix their homes siding and exterior with no recourse to the builder since the builder went out of business.

It can't be reinforced enough, if you are considering a Central Ohio home built from 2000/01 through 2008, regardless of the asking price of the homes, get yourself a good home inspector and make sure you get answers to your concerns of poor workmanship.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Money doesn't always buy quality. What I posit is that in Central Ohio the build year is a greater determinant of the odds of subpar construction. I'm not making this up. Many of those nice looking Georgian style home in NA are nothing but gilded garbage. I have current and former coworkers that own exactly the home you describe - $500k and up, and unfortunately some of them have experienced the shoddy workmanship NA is known for.

And again, not to pick on NA. Up in your neck of the woods, I'm sure you are familiar with Tartan Fields. Go ask some of those homeowners how they like having to completely replace the facades of their homes due to poor workmanship. Not only did they have the privilege of paying half a million dollars for their post-2000 build year homes, but now they get to drop another six figures to fix their homes siding and exterior with no recourse to the builder since the builder went out of business.

It can't be reinforced enough, if you are considering a Central Ohio home built from 2000/01 through 2008, regardless of the asking price of the homes, get yourself a good home inspector and make sure you get answers to your concerns of poor workmanship.
Money most certainly does buy quality when hiring that right individuals. If they had to pay another $600k to get the homes fixed, then it's not worth staying in, but I don't live in NA. I stay away from the eastern side of Columbus, and not every home in NA is that way. Most, if not, all homes I know from 2000+ are very nice, and show no issues. It just goes to show you what kind of place NW Cbus is.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Money most certainly does buy quality when hiring that right individuals. If they had to pay another $600k to get the homes fixed, then it's not worth staying in, but I don't live in NA. I stay away from the eastern side of Columbus, and not every home in NA is that way. Most, if not, all homes I know from 2000+ are very nice, and show no issues. It just goes to show you what kind of place NW Cbus is.
You admit it is subjective. Exactly my point. Just because you shell out half a million dollars does not guarantee quality. NA is an example of that. Did you overlook the part of the post above stating Tartan Fields has major issues. Where again is that located? Sure isn't the east side.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:06 PM

12,763 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Quote:
You admit it is subjective. Exactly my point. Just because you shell out half a million dollars does not guarantee quality. NA is an example of that. Did you overlook the part of the post above stating Tartan Fields has major issues. Where again is that located? Sure isn't the east side.
I tend to agree with you. Money doesn't guarantee quality, and in regards to New Albany, I think a big part of the price is to say you live in New Albany. It's basically like paying for a brand more than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or