U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 PM

506 posts, read 327,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'm glad people believe everything they see on tv. I lived in Hilltop for 4 years and never had a single issue. It's obviously not one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city, but the danger is overblown. Violent crime in Columbus has dropped by more than half in the last 20 years. Hilltop/Franklinton have seen the same trends. If heroin was a huge and/or growing issue, it's hard to believe that would be happening.
Columbus, or rather its suburbs like New Albany, are filled with hardcore racist morons, so it is no wonder the local news continually promotes danger in certain areas of the city. This illusion provides the police with the absolute power to do whatever they want while "policing" of certain neighborhoods. Certainly, it also provides police forces, like New Albany to freely pursue their goal of a whites-only city by arrest and brutally beating any non-white person brave or stupid enough to cross the towns borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 PM

3,863 posts, read 2,912,981 times
Franklinton is one of the oldest inner city neighborhoods in Columbus. It's been crime infested and unsafe for years. I worked in field insurance claims back in the 70's and even then in broad daylight it wasn't a safe place to be. I can recall driving down some of the streets there on a summer weekday and seeing the locals out on the porches of their dilapidated houses sipping from their 40 ouncers watching the world go by.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:53 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,736,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
In 5 years, the area east of 315 will be radically different. There are well over 1,000 residential units in multiple projects in the works between 315 and the railroad tracks to the east. A new performing arts space is planned and the artist communities seem to be expanding at a rapid pace. East of the railroad tracks, at least 2,500 more units are planned in a mix of mid to high-rise mixed-use buildings, a new park, a new Vets Memorial, etc. And it's all within walking distance (or a short bike ride) to what will be 33 new acres of parks and trails along the restored Scioto River.

So while, at this moment, it doesn't look great, if you can find a place to buy, it would be a great investment. Of course, it just depends on how long you're willing to stick with it, and if you don't feel safe now, no future changes are going to help.
Yes, not to mention the work CIF is doing with their space, and the various other small businesses that are starting to sprout up near the location.

For those who have not been, Strongwater is a fun place to hang out.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,216 times
Default Franklinton Fun

I live in Franklinton! And I love it.

The arts scene is thriving in Franklinton, not only is there the Creative Idea Foundry, there's 400 West Rich, Ethical Arts, and Glass Axis too. In the last year and a half three new hip bars have gone in. World's Naked Bike Ride happened last weekend in Franklinton, and there were naked girls rollerblading down my street and no one was ****ing with them. In the last year there's been about 20 local artists that have moved into Franklinton renting and buying.

The growth is phenomenal. If you look you can't even purchase property of any sort in Eastern Franklinton, any guesses why? Because big business has been purchasing up all the land in Franklinton East. Oh wait... there's one lot for sale on the corner of McDowell and Rich. And the only reason it's still for sale is that it's listing price is higher per square foot than it would be to purchase directly in downtown Columbus.

Watch the trends on Franklinton West, houses are getting completely redone and flipped by people left and right. Four houses on my block (literally just counting the houses on one side of my street) are basically brand new since January.

You know what the neighborhood does have? Low income families. Right now it's a wicked cheap place to live and buy (just like Old Town East). And in low income areas there's more drugs. Low income areas also mean less electronics in the household, so most people in the neighborhood hang out outside in warm weather. Ever live near campus? It's a lot like that only they don't have the money to get a college degree. Neighbors are friendly. Most everyone has lived in the neighborhood forever.

Looking into the trends of Columbus music venues, build Polaris, suddenly there's a bunch of stuff sprouting up around it. Build Promowest? Suddenly what used to be old warehouses and drug hangouts is high rise lofts, new baseball stadiums, and B.D.'s Mongolian BBQ. They already have started the Vet's rebuild. The old empty car lots that you see getting off 315 on Broad? Not abandoned. Nationwide bought them all out and are just sitting on them. Check out the Lucas Lofts that are going in on Lucas Ave.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:43 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,066,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misformadame View Post
I live in Franklinton! And I love it.

The arts scene is thriving in Franklinton, not only is there the Creative Idea Foundry, there's 400 West Rich, Ethical Arts, and Glass Axis too. In the last year and a half three new hip bars have gone in. World's Naked Bike Ride happened last weekend in Franklinton, and there were naked girls rollerblading down my street and no one was ****ing with them. In the last year there's been about 20 local artists that have moved into Franklinton renting and buying.

The growth is phenomenal. If you look you can't even purchase property of any sort in Eastern Franklinton, any guesses why? Because big business has been purchasing up all the land in Franklinton East. Oh wait... there's one lot for sale on the corner of McDowell and Rich. And the only reason it's still for sale is that it's listing price is higher per square foot than it would be to purchase directly in downtown Columbus.

Watch the trends on Franklinton West, houses are getting completely redone and flipped by people left and right. Four houses on my block (literally just counting the houses on one side of my street) are basically brand new since January.

You know what the neighborhood does have? Low income families. Right now it's a wicked cheap place to live and buy (just like Old Town East). And in low income areas there's more drugs. Low income areas also mean less electronics in the household, so most people in the neighborhood hang out outside in warm weather. Ever live near campus? It's a lot like that only they don't have the money to get a college degree. Neighbors are friendly. Most everyone has lived in the neighborhood forever.

Looking into the trends of Columbus music venues, build Polaris, suddenly there's a bunch of stuff sprouting up around it. Build Promowest? Suddenly what used to be old warehouses and drug hangouts is high rise lofts, new baseball stadiums, and B.D.'s Mongolian BBQ. They already have started the Vet's rebuild. The old empty car lots that you see getting off 315 on Broad? Not abandoned. Nationwide bought them all out and are just sitting on them. Check out the Lucas Lofts that are going in on Lucas Ave.
This is spot on. I have been looking into property in east franklinton (across from downtown) and there's none going for sale. Big business is sitting on it and buying it up left and right. The area has such a strong arts community (typically the first wave of gentrification) and is now seeing Nationwide Realty (developers of the arena district) buying blocks and blocks for development. Bars and restaurants are starting to sprout too.

West franklinton (other side of 315) is more residential and seeing many homes being purchased and fixed up. It will take longer for this area, of franklinton, to improve and the highway will be an obstacle, but it should be a good longer term investment. Now would be the time to buy there if you're a urban pioneer or investor.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:50 AM

61 posts, read 56,888 times
They said Franklinton was the "hip place to move" 8 or 9 years ago. It looks exactly the same, still. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:04 AM

12,791 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDqTX View Post
They said Franklinton was the "hip place to move" 8 or 9 years ago. It looks exactly the same, still. I don't see it changing anytime soon.
No one was saying that 8 or 9 years ago. The floodwall wasn't even completed until 2004 (no one talked about it at all before then), and the city didn't really push for investment there until about 2011-2012. It's only been in the past 3-4 years that Franklinton's profile (particularly East Franklinton) has really been rising. The last year has seen a tremendous surge in activity. I could post the list of completed, under construction and planned projects if you'd like. East of 315 will look radically different within 5 years, and West Franklinton will be seeing a lot more activity as well, but it'll take longer because there is just so much to fix. This is the place to invest right now, though. Besides maybe Weinland Park, I can't think of any neighborhood in the city that is seeing so much momentum compared to just a few years ago.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:20 AM

Doubt it.

A lot of thirty-somethings finally having kids right now after dragging their feet the past five-ten years reside in Harrison West, Short North, OTE, etc. Problem is, a lot of these people are having a hard time living there as it is, and within 3-4 years, you are going to see a huge flight of people move out to Northwest and Eastern Columbus. Why? Schools. Columbus Public is horrible and not taking any type of notice of taking advantage to this. Whetstone could have quickly become one of the best schools in the city, but they are invest zero money into trying to at least make two or three schools even desirable for kids to be sent to. Once all of these people leave, and it's going to be soon, it has to be, these neighborhoods are going to be struggling to keep their high values. No one is going to be heading to Franklinton any time soon.

The whole concept of gentrification is fantastic, only problem is, 90% of the people live in those neighborhoods will have to leave eventually, and that time is starting to happen now. It's a cycle that has gone on for a long time.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:45 PM

12,791 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDqTX View Post
Doubt it.

A lot of thirty-somethings finally having kids right now after dragging their feet the past five-ten years reside in Harrison West, Short North, OTE, etc. Problem is, a lot of these people are having a hard time living there as it is, and within 3-4 years, you are going to see a huge flight of people move out to Northwest and Eastern Columbus. Why? Schools. Columbus Public is horrible and not taking any type of notice of taking advantage to this. Whetstone could have quickly become one of the best schools in the city, but they are invest zero money into trying to at least make two or three schools even desirable for kids to be sent to. Once all of these people leave, and it's going to be soon, it has to be, these neighborhoods are going to be struggling to keep their high values. No one is going to be heading to Franklinton any time soon.

The whole concept of gentrification is fantastic, only problem is, 90% of the people live in those neighborhoods will have to leave eventually, and that time is starting to happen now. It's a cycle that has gone on for a long time.
Even if some of the current residents move out because of kids, why do you think no one will replace them? The neighborhoods are improving, which creates momentum of its own and encourages more of it. 25 years ago, the Short North was a haven for crack addicts and prostitution. A lot of the original people involved in the early gentrification are long gone, but that has not stopped the continued improvement there. If anything, it's even stronger today. And the population keeps rising.

And while, in general CCS are not good, there are plenty of options for urban dwellers, including private and alternative schools, and even within CCS there are very good individual schools. This idea that you have to move out of the city once you have kids is pretty antiquated.

Franklinton has about 3,000 residential units planned as we speak, and they should all be complete within the next 2 years. Even on a 1-1 basis, that's 3,000 people. The entire population of Franklinton is only about 8500. If you really believe that that will have no affect on the fortunes of the neighborhood, I have no idea what your reasoning is.

Oh, and German Village is a neighborhood that completely defies what you're saying. It too was a run-down ghetto back in the 1940s and 1950s. The city actually was going to bulldoze a lot of it for public housing, but preservationists stepped in and it ended up as one of the largest tracts on the National Register of Historic Places, even to this day. So if you don't buy the Short North, how about GV? It went through gentrification decades before the Short North, yet it remains a strong and even growing neighborhood. Why didn't everyone move out?

Old 06-20-2015, 08:45 AM

German Village's demographics contain virtually no families with kids, and if so, they go private. I don't think people like to admit the fact that 90% or more of the inhabitants of the Short North, Harrison West, OTE, all grew up in suburbs, and you know where they are all starting to head back to? The suburbs. Alternative and charter schools are worse than CCS. I'm telling you, and it's not just Columbus, in four or five years it all hits the fan in many cities. Columbus isn't growing nearly as much as other cities in the South and Western U.S. to handle the flight, and it's going to be a lot of people that head to the suburbs. The generation of people that makes up 75-80% of those homes are people who waited a while to get married, and waited to have kids, but it's happening now.

Go to some cities in the South and see where they tried gentrifying too quickly and what happened. Not good results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus