Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 08:41 AM

424 posts, read 1,293,959 times

Advertisements

Who here lives in Franklinton?
1.) Where exactly in Franklinton (West, NW, East, South etc) You don't HAVE to lists streets but that would be helpful.
2.) How safe do you feel walking during normal hours?
3.) Do you like living there?
4.) How has it changed since you arrived?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 AM

No one on this board lives in Franklinton??

Old 01-14-2015, 10:05 AM

275 posts, read 455,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
No one on this board lives in Franklinton??
Nope.

Hasn't gentrified nearly quite enough for me to be interested yet.

I'll get back to you in 3-5 years.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:12 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
I used to live in Hilltop, which is just across 70 from Franklinton.

As far as where to live, the farther east you can get, the better. The eastern 1/3rd is the area now seeing a lot of revitalization. There are major development plans for the area, especially east of Rt. 315.

In this area, I would feel reasonably safe walking during the day, but perhaps less so at night. It's still a bit rough, but improving.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:35 PM

688 posts, read 1,117,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I used to live in Hilltop, which is just across 70 from Franklinton.

As far as where to live, the farther east you can get, the better. The eastern 1/3rd is the area now seeing a lot of revitalization. There are major development plans for the area, especially east of Rt. 315.

In this area, I would feel reasonably safe walking during the day, but perhaps less so at night. It's still a bit rough, but improving.
Saw a Drugs, Inc. highlight on the National Geographic Channel where they followed a couple mid and low level dealers and addicts in the Hilltop area. Been a couple years since I've been through the west side, but if the camera footage of the addicts in the parking lots and dealers standing on street corner after street corner is accurate I would say most contributors to these boards would be advised to stay away unless your goal is to score dope or a prostitute.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Saw a Drugs, Inc. highlight on the National Geographic Channel where they followed a couple mid and low level dealers and addicts in the Hilltop area. Been a couple years since I've been through the west side, but if the camera footage of the addicts in the parking lots and dealers standing on street corner after street corner is accurate I would say most contributors to these boards would be advised to stay away unless your goal is to score dope or a prostitute.
I'm glad people believe everything they see on tv. I lived in Hilltop for 4 years and never had a single issue. It's obviously not one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city, but the danger is overblown. Violent crime in Columbus has dropped by more than half in the last 20 years. Hilltop/Franklinton have seen the same trends. If heroin was a huge and/or growing issue, it's hard to believe that would be happening.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:59 PM

Ok update spent some time in Franklinton and began tracking it on the raids online crime site and it is pretty bad. Hence why no one on this board lives there I would assume. East of 315 would be a great suggestion if there were much residential there which there isn't. I enjoyed breakfast at Tommy's and some of the southern streets like Bellows seemed nice but it is a long long way from me feeling comfortable living there with my wife and three year old son.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:54 PM

11 posts, read 14,839 times
Franklinton is west of downtown. It is the area around West Broad street between downtown and the Hilltop. Sadly, It is very poor area. It has a large Appalachian community. Many boarded up houses and absent landlords. Lots of drugs and prostitution. I worked at a preschool in the area and there were days we did not even feel safe taking the kids out on the playground due to shootings. My students who all lived in Franklinton had some pretty horrific home lives. I do not feel safe walking there but I am a woman. Maybe it would be safe for a man? The area is supposed to be gentrifying. But I really do not see much evidence of it. I would not recommend living there. There are many wonderful families that live there but they have very difficult lives and face enormous challenges.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Ok update spent some time in Franklinton and began tracking it on the raids online crime site and it is pretty bad. Hence why no one on this board lives there I would assume. East of 315 would be a great suggestion if there were much residential there which there isn't. I enjoyed breakfast at Tommy's and some of the southern streets like Bellows seemed nice but it is a long long way from me feeling comfortable living there with my wife and three year old son.
Definitely not an area I'd want to live in, especially if I had a child that age. Maybe once it gentrifies but that is several years off.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
In 5 years, the area east of 315 will be radically different. There are well over 1,000 residential units in multiple projects in the works between 315 and the railroad tracks to the east. A new performing arts space is planned and the artist communities seem to be expanding at a rapid pace. East of the railroad tracks, at least 2,500 more units are planned in a mix of mid to high-rise mixed-use buildings, a new park, a new Vets Memorial, etc. And it's all within walking distance (or a short bike ride) to what will be 33 new acres of parks and trails along the restored Scioto River.

So while, at this moment, it doesn't look great, if you can find a place to buy, it would be a great investment. Of course, it just depends on how long you're willing to stick with it, and if you don't feel safe now, no future changes are going to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus