U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:39 PM

1,895 posts, read 2,014,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'd love to hear some hardcore facts.

Ohio has plenty of problems. I have never said otherwise. If you don't like extreme weather, though, moving to Florida from Ohio is not a trade-up. You're just replacing one extreme for another. There are tons of places that are better, both in and out of the US.

Ohio to Florida domestic migration has fallen by over 70% since 2005, and even out of those that move there, 8 in 10 end up moving back.
I just don't understand your constant belittling of states you see as inferior to Ohio. I respect your opinions but sometimes it seems like you make the most ridiculous notions about places you never been to. Yes you may have lived in Florida at one point but how long ago was that ? Coming from the Florida forum as well as looking at other Southern state forums the migration has not let up one bit. However some transplants do end up going back home after realizing that it may have not been the right choice at that time. Like a mature people would do I never say anything stupid or crazy about Ohio or any other states for that matter. I've been watching this forum for a couple of years now and I never expect anything different from you but insane boosterism to the fullest. Ok you love Ohio but at least give credit where its due. As far as weather is concerned some people rather tolerate the more tropical type than shoveling snow all the time. You cant get mad if someone prefers island weather versus a frozen tundra which might sound like a exaggeration nevertheless that's how some people feel. Finally according to the census Georgia , North Carolina are about average when it comes to being educated if you consider people with Bachelors or higher degrees an Ohio is below. Ohio QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau So much for how stupid these states and all the false accusations you seem to spread around on this forum about Southern states.

National Avg- 28.8
Georgia- 28.0
North Carolina-27.3
Texas-26.7
Florida-26.4
Michigan-25.9
Ohio-25.2
South Carolina-25.1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 07:41 PM

12,793 posts, read 12,771,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
I just don't understand your constant belittling of states you see as inferior to Ohio. I respect your opinions but sometimes it seems like you make the most ridiculous notions about places you never been to. Yes you may have lived in Florida at one point but how long ago was that ? Coming from the Florida forum as well as looking at other Southern state forums the migration has not let up one bit. However some transplants do end up going back home after realizing that it may have not been the right choice at that time. Like a mature people would do I never say anything stupid or crazy about Ohio or any other states for that matter. I've been watching this forum for a couple of years now and I never expect anything different from you but insane boosterism to the fullest. Ok you love Ohio but at least give credit where its due. As far as weather is concerned some people rather tolerate the more tropical type than shoveling snow all the time. You cant get mad if someone prefers island weather versus a frozen tundra which might sound like a exaggeration nevertheless that's how some people feel. Finally according to the census Georgia , North Carolina are about average when it comes to being educated if you consider people with Bachelors or higher degrees an Ohio is below. Ohio QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau So much for how stupid these states and all the false accusations you seem to spread around on this forum about Southern states.

National Avg- 28.8
Georgia- 28.0
North Carolina-27.3
Texas-26.7
Florida-26.4
Michigan-25.9
Ohio-25.2
South Carolina-25.1
I lived in Florida (last year, so recently) and have travelled through much of the South. It's not like I've never left Ohio (I don't even live there now.) I also think that people seem to equate the posting of data/numbers and things as a direct threat to their own view of their respective living place. As if my posting of Florida migration numbers vs. Ohio means I think that no one can like Florida.

Sorry, domestic migration from Ohio to Florida has dropped 71% since 2005. Overall, domestic migration from all Northern states to Florida has fallen about 48%, and from the entire nation as a whole, it's down 44%. This isn't an opinion or based on perception. It's really a fact. Now, this doesn't mean that Florida is completely undesirable, because obviously there are plenty who think otherwise. That's fine, but for one reason or a combination of reasons, Florida isn't attracting near the amount of people that it once did. Meanwhile, Ohio's outmigration has improved by over 61% in the same time vs. the nation as a whole. Again, not something I'm making up or spouting boosterism. It is what it is, like it or not.

I didn't bring up Southern education levels in this thread, though you won't see too many on a best schools list. Most of them are in the Northeast.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:30 PM

688 posts, read 864,747 times
Quote:
I lived in Florida (last year, so recently) and have travelled through much of the South. It's not like I've never left Ohio (I don't even live there now.) I also think that people seem to equate the posting of data/numbers and things as a direct threat to their own view of their respective living place. As if my posting of Florida migration numbers vs. Ohio means I think that no one can like Florida.

Sorry, domestic migration from Ohio to Florida has dropped 71% since 2005. Overall, domestic migration from all Northern states to Florida has fallen about 48%, and from the entire nation as a whole, it's down 44%. This isn't an opinion or based on perception. It's really a fact. Now, this doesn't mean that Florida is completely undesirable, because obviously there are plenty who think otherwise. That's fine, but for one reason or a combination of reasons, Florida isn't attracting near the amount of people that it once did. Meanwhile, Ohio's outmigration has improved by over 61% in the same time vs. the nation as a whole. Again, not something I'm making up or spouting boosterism. It is what it is, like it or not.

I didn't bring up Southern education levels in this thread, though you won't see too many on a best schools list. Most of them are in the Northeast.
How much of that is economically related? A couple of things about the last 9 years or so: The country experienced an unprecedented real estate boom. Home values in the Southwest and Florida doubled in a short period of time. This would understandably choke out more than a few transplants purely from an affordability standpoint. Second, up until just a couple of years ago many in this country felt we were experiencing the second Great Depression, and for those outside the top-20% of wage earners sentiment polls still show things are relatively tough. Ergo, many people can't afford to move due to a different type of affordability issue. Add to it many folks are underwater on their mortgages and can't sell if they wanted to and there are a whole host of issues why mobility may be down in the last 8 or 9 years other than a broad change in people's perception of the weather in the South.

On the other hand Miami is experiencing a revitalization. Much of it is from foreigners buying real estate in the area after the real estate bubble burst. Clearly someone still finds FL desirable.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:30 AM

2,117 posts, read 3,542,040 times
Quote:

another untrue post..
Colleges in South listed in the top Forbes top 100:
Duke, Davidson, UNC, Emory, Clemson, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Wofford, Furman, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Texas, Wake Forest, Rice.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:56 PM

418 posts, read 420,242 times
ArmyMO0205 good luck with your move to Columbus. I am not sure where you are now but Cbus is ok. It depends what you are looking for. If you are looking at lists of best cities to move to, most of them say Cbus is very affordable. It can be if you live 40-45 minutes out. The majority of houses that are in a good price range need a ton of work and I mean alot of work. Many of the houses are made of stucco and it looks like they have wood rot but homeowners don't know enough to know, ignore it, or just can't afford to fix it.

2 Da Beach, you do whatever is good for you and your family. Sometimes you just need a change. I moved and the grass isn't always greener but do whatever you need to do. Florida is a nice place depending where you are.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 PM

80 posts, read 104,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
ArmyMO0205 good luck with your move to Columbus. I am not sure where you are now but Cbus is ok. It depends what you are looking for. If you are looking at lists of best cities to move to, most of them say Cbus is very affordable. It can be if you live 40-45 minutes out. The majority of houses that are in a good price range need a ton of work and I mean alot of work. Many of the houses are made of stucco and it looks like they have wood rot but homeowners don't know enough to know, ignore it, or just can't afford to fix it.

2 Da Beach, you do whatever is good for you and your family. Sometimes you just need a change. I moved and the grass isn't always greener but do whatever you need to do. Florida is a nice place depending where you are.
Muffy are you on plowsite.com? Same name/handle

Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
How much of that is economically related? A couple of things about the last 9 years or so: The country experienced an unprecedented real estate boom. Home values in the Southwest and Florida doubled in a short period of time. This would understandably choke out more than a few transplants purely from an affordability standpoint. Second, up until just a couple of years ago many in this country felt we were experiencing the second Great Depression, and for those outside the top-20% of wage earners sentiment polls still show things are relatively tough. Ergo, many people can't afford to move due to a different type of affordability issue. Add to it many folks are underwater on their mortgages and can't sell if they wanted to and there are a whole host of issues why mobility may be down in the last 8 or 9 years other than a broad change in people's perception of the weather in the South.

On the other hand Miami is experiencing a revitalization. Much of it is from foreigners buying real estate in the area after the real estate bubble burst. Clearly someone still finds FL desirable.
Economics are always the #1 factor in relocation. I'm sure the recession played a role in reducing migration because it was harder for people to move. We'll see if rates ever return to what they were, but it seems unlikely at this point. Also, it doesn't explain all the trends. For example, Ohio more than doubled it's net domestic migration from other Northern states 2005-2013, and was up by 10x from Western states. If it was harder for people to move, why would domestic migration actually increase unless there were other factors at play?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
another untrue post..
Colleges in South listed in the top Forbes top 100:
Duke, Davidson, UNC, Emory, Clemson, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Wofford, Furman, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Texas, Wake Forest, Rice.
It's not untrue. All areas have some good higher education schools, but I'm referring to the state of general public education. Most of the best ones are in the Northeast.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,025,376 times
Quote:
Ohio to Florida domestic migration has fallen by over 70% since 2005, and even out of those that move there, 8 in 10 end up moving back.
I absolutely do not believe that 8 out of 10 move back. Prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus