U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 05:30 AM

80 posts, read 104,496 times

Advertisements

I would rather be hot for 6 months than deal with single digit temps..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 AM

506 posts, read 327,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Da Beach View Post
Most people from Northern areas move to Florida with the belief that they'd rather be hot than cold, then spend 85% of their time locked inside climate controlled environments complaining about the one foot walk they had to take between the A/C'ed environment of their car to the A/C'ed environment of the grocery store.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:19 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,303,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
What's considered to be a "big" snowstorm?
A foot or more. Boston just had 3 in a row in the matter of 2 weeks.

I lived here from 1997 through 2005 and again since late 2013 til now. 10" once was the most I've seen here. In like Feb 2003. Look at the National Weather Service websites for record snows in Columbus...the 24 hr record snowfall was in April 84 or something like that...and it's 12.3"

Old 02-14-2015, 07:27 AM

419 posts, read 676,957 times
Columbus is a great city, very underrated in my opinion. Great place to raise a family. The weather here isn't that bad. November and December are mild for the most part. January and February get very cold and are the two months where the weather gets a little unbearable but the good news is that we really don't get much snow here. A typical snowstorm here is 3-4 inches. Overall I would say we have ten months of good weather out of the year and we get four distinct seasons. Give me that any day of the week over the cultural cesspool known as Florida. Yeah its nice to get to Naples for a week in the middle of January/Florida but you couldn't pay me enough money to live in that dump of a state.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:42 AM

12,785 posts, read 12,761,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
A foot or more. Boston just had 3 in a row in the matter of 2 weeks.

I lived here from 1997 through 2005 and again since late 2013 til now. 10" once was the most I've seen here. In like Feb 2003. Look at the National Weather Service websites for record snows in Columbus...the 24 hr record snowfall was in April 84 or something like that...and it's 12.3"
10" or more in Columbus is actually extremely rare. Here are all those times since 1878.

January 8-9, 1884: 10.2"
March 19-20, 1906: 10.0"
January 6-7, 1910: 11.7"
February 11-12, 1910: 10.6"
February 16-17, 1910: 15.0"
January 13-14, 1917: 10.0"
November 23-29, 1950: 15.2"
April 3-5, 1987: 12.6"
February 14-17, 2003: 15.5"
March 7-8, 2008: 20.5"
February 15-16, 2010: 10.4"
February 4-5, 2014: 10.6"

So just 12 times in 136 years. 12" or more has happened only 5 times. The daily record is 15.5" on March 8, 2008.

Columbus just isn't in the right location for huge storms because the Appalachian mountains funnel warm air into Central Ohio and change a lot of storms over to mix or rain before big totals can occur. It's 6" climatology is much more common, happening about once a winter.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:18 AM

688 posts, read 864,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
Having lived in Florida, the only advantage FL has are the low(er) taxes and mild winter.

Everything else is more expensive and it's traffic light/congestion city. And the summers are horrible.
Not sure the last time you were in Central Ohio (if ever) but congestion isn't much better here and may be worse. I visit Florida about once a year in the Ft. Myers / Naples area. Never have much trouble getting around. Granted we are there on vacation and during the offseason (Memorial Day to Labor Day). Compare that to I-670 or Rt. 315 in Columbus AM and evening rush hours from January to May and September to mid-December and you are lucky to reach school zone speeds on the so-called 'expressway.'

Too many people. Too much congestion. Density is high and being further encouraged.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Not sure the last time you were in Central Ohio (if ever) but congestion isn't much better here and may be worse. I visit Florida about once a year in the Ft. Myers / Naples area. Never have much trouble getting around. Granted we are there on vacation and during the offseason (Memorial Day to Labor Day). Compare that to I-670 or Rt. 315 in Columbus AM and evening rush hours from January to May and September to mid-December and you are lucky to reach school zone speeds on the so-called 'expressway.'

Too many people. Too much congestion. Density is high and being further encouraged.
Then you should support things like alternative transit. Even a few people pulled out of their cars is fewer cars in traffic. Btw, the traffic issue is not from density, because density promotes walkability, not drivability. Studies have shown again and again that expanding roads causes more traffic because it encourages more driving. And where are all the traffic issues? The Outerbelt and suburban areas like Polaris.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Da Beach View Post
Agreed. As a marathoner the winters in Central Ohio make training difficult. Treadmills are an option (add this to the alleged low cost of living here - plus hundreds or dollars in cold weather running gear) but stationary running, despite the ability to increase grade and speed, is not the same as running outdoors. When we visit FL and the Carolinas, often in the Summer months, I at least have the option to run in the mornings when it is cooler. But when the daytime high in Columbus doesn't get out of the 20s, and the sidewalks are blanketed with snow, there isn't truly a good alternative to training. One of the biggest issues with this is many of the coveted marathons are in the Spring months when the weather is optimal which translates to a shortened training calendar.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Then you should support things like alternative transit. Even a few people pulled out of their cars is fewer cars in traffic. Btw, the traffic issue is not from density, because density promotes walkability, not drivability. Studies have shown again and again that expanding roads causes more traffic because it encourages more driving.
I don't disagree with this. We may not be on the same page with respect to the definition of density in this particular case (and I don't care to split hairs). What I am referring to is when I go out to the lake house in Guernsey County there is no traffic to speak of. No mass transit either to relieve traffic pressures. There are simply fewer people. With all the development in Powell, Delaware County, Dublin, Westerville, Orange Township, and New Albany it is a cluster getting out of downtown no matter the route that you choose to take. Eliminate a few tens of thousands of households along the northern corridor and I bet traffic becomes more tolerable.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
I don't disagree with this. We may not be on the same page with respect to the definition of density in this particular case (and I don't care to split hairs). What I am referring to is when I go out to the lake house in Guernsey County there is no traffic to speak of. No mass transit either to relieve traffic pressures. There are simply fewer people. With all the development in Powell, Delaware County, Dublin, Westerville, Orange Township, and New Albany it is a cluster getting out of downtown no matter the route that you choose to take. Eliminate a few tens of thousands of households along the northern corridor and I bet traffic becomes more tolerable.
Maybe so, but I'm not sure that would have any positive outcomes other than reduced congestion. The Columbus area can never go back to being semi-rural, so the best solution is to get fewer people to drive, and the only way that happens is to offer other options. The funny thing about transit debates is that it's usually suburbanites against urbanites, but I tend to think that both groups would benefit pretty equally in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or