U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 06:18 PM

80 posts, read 104,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Most people from Northern areas move to Florida with the belief that they'd rather be hot than cold, then spend 85% of their time locked inside climate controlled environments complaining about the one foot walk they had to take between the A/C'ed environment of their car to the A/C'ed environment of the grocery store.
Spending 6 months inside waiting for the weather to change warm so you can be outside....

My business puts me outside all day... I love the hot heat, nothing a straw hat cold beer and some good tunes can't handle...... Dam wish it was summer right now..
Instead 3" of snow coming tomorrow and i get to go scrap parking lots and throw salt..Loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 12:55 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,593,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Columbus is a great city, very underrated in my opinion. Great place to raise a family. The weather here isn't that bad. November and December are mild for the most part. January and February get very cold and are the two months where the weather gets a little unbearable but the good news is that we really don't get much snow here. A typical snowstorm here is 3-4 inches. Overall I would say we have ten months of good weather out of the year and we get four distinct seasons. Give me that any day of the week over the cultural cesspool known as Florida. Yeah its nice to get to Naples for a week in the middle of January/Florida but you couldn't pay me enough money to live in that dump of a state.
I agree on the weather in Ohio. But I'm from Canada, so it's practically tropical here. The last two winters have been kind of brutal (this winter less so), but since I've been here in 2008, winters have been rather mild. I recall maybe one big, big snowstorm. The rest is a few inches, which I laugh at. I actually miss it.

Quote:
I don't disagree with this. We may not be on the same page with respect to the definition of density in this particular case (and I don't care to split hairs). What I am referring to is when I go out to the lake house in Guernsey County there is no traffic to speak of. No mass transit either to relieve traffic pressures. There are simply fewer people. With all the development in Powell, Delaware County, Dublin, Westerville, Orange Township, and New Albany it is a cluster getting out of downtown no matter the route that you choose to take. Eliminate a few tens of thousands of households along the northern corridor and I bet traffic becomes more tolerable.
I live downtown and work in Delaware. Perfect for me, but the traffic in the opposite direction is nuts on the 315. Even worse when I was taking the 23. If Columbus is going to do light rail, it really needs to focus on Dublin, New Albany, and Polaris feeding into downtown.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:29 AM

506 posts, read 327,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Da Beach View Post
Spending 6 months inside waiting for the weather to change warm so you can be outside....

My business puts me outside all day... I love the hot heat, nothing a straw hat cold beer and some good tunes can't handle...... Dam wish it was summer right now..
Instead 3" of snow coming tomorrow and i get to go scrap parking lots and throw salt..Loving it.
I've lived in South Florida for many years, so I've heard the tale your telling numerous times and it always results in these northern people that make claims about loving the heat, spending most of their time in climate controlled environments complaining about the heat from April until November. I'm outside most of the year, so I notice these so-called heat lovers not being outside, you may claim that you're different, but your comments tell a different story.

I don't even find Florida to be a particularly hot place compared to other cities I've called home, but please realize your summer in Ohio is our December, January and February, at least in South Florida. You have a few hot days during the summer in Ohio that result in extreme heat warnings being issued, while everyday in Florida for months we experience these and warmer temperatures daily.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:39 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,907,421 times
Not down South but out West. The weather here is almost perfect. It's been in the 70's with sunshine almost every day. I have no intentions of ever moving back to Columbus.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:59 AM

2,117 posts, read 3,539,514 times
I got customers and friends in NE Ohio, Columbus & Midwest. Every conversation I have with them they end up mentioning how the weather sucks and how much the winter just drags on. IMO that is not paradise living 30%+ of time in that weather climate.
fortunately was able to spend glorious time in Miam Beach last week and heading to Marco Island Saturday..

Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 AM

12,785 posts, read 12,759,016 times
There are dozens of things that are objectively far more important for living in a place than the weather. I will never understand the people who make that their priority. I hate the heat/humidity of the South, but that wouldn't be the reason that prevents me from living there again. There are plenty of other negatives from cultural and economic standpoints that would make that decision pretty easy.

And honestly, most people agree because most don't move because of the weather.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 AM

12,785 posts, read 12,759,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I got customers and friends in NE Ohio, Columbus & Midwest. Every conversation I have with them they end up mentioning how the weather sucks and how much the winter just drags on. IMO that is not paradise living 30%+ of time in that weather climate.
fortunately was able to spend glorious time in Miam Beach last week and heading to Marco Island Saturday..
Neither is being miserably hot for at least 30% of the time. I don't get the attraction of sunburns and sweat.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:05 AM

14,976 posts, read 16,555,590 times
Personally, I preter a tougher people. I can't see how people who are too physically and mentally weak to handle the weather leaving the state can be anything but a boon for the genepool.

Historically, these peope did not have the wherewithal to move to a gentler climate so they just withered and died. I am sure they took some of the heartier stock down with their piercing wails and whines, as well.

So it's a good thing to hear about people wanting to move South.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:13 PM

290 posts, read 463,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Personally, I preter a tougher people. I can't see how people who are too physically and mentally weak to handle the weather leaving the state can be anything but a boon for the genepool.

Historically, these peope did not have the wherewithal to move to a gentler climate so they just withered and died. I am sure they took some of the heartier stock down with their piercing wails and whines, as well.

So it's a good thing to hear about people wanting to move South.
So Northerners are tough because they can tolerate the snow and rough winters but Southerners are wimps because they can only tolerate the intense humidity and sweating and sunburns? Northerners laugh at the South when they panic at a couple inches of snow but Southerners laugh at Northerners when they complain of 88 degree heat waves.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:16 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,380,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
So Northerners are tough because they can tolerate the snow and rough winters but Southerners are wimps because they can only tolerate the intense humidity and sweating and sunburns? Northerners laugh at the South when they panic at a couple inches of snow but Southerners laugh at Northerners when they complain of 88 degree heat waves.
We shovel a lot of snow (tons) each year in cleveland. The snow piles can get pretty tall along the driveways.. Something people in the south have never done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or