U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 01:03 PM

2,359 posts, read 3,304,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
^, looks like you might be in the minority about Charlotte, looks like a lot people keep moving to the Queen City. New Census Data Reveals Charlotte Is The #2 Fastest Growing City in America | Global Flare
It's growing because of economic opportunity over anything else.

New Yorkers especially move there in huge numbers...especially those in banking and finance...New Yorker's can get 5,000 sq foot homes with large yards for the same price as their 1,000 sq ft condo with no yard. With B of A HQ'd there...and Wells Fargo w/ a major presence after buying out Charlotte based Wachovia they and many smaller financial companies, it brings them down there.
Other good companies such as Lowes being there helps diversify the area's economy.
But, like most sunbelt cities, it has endless sprawl, w/ overcrowded poorly designed freeways. Like most major cities it's got a lot of growth happening in the urban core but nothing that I would consider really beautiful design...most of it is still pretty cookie cutter.
A couple new towers do look cool, like The Vue. But there is little no character in any historic neighborhoods there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 01:31 PM

252 posts, read 246,384 times
Quote:
^, looks like you might be in the minority about Charlotte, looks like a lot people keep moving to the Queen City. New Census Data Reveals Charlotte Is The #2 Fastest Growing City in America | Global Flare
Everyone loves the new car smell, but let me tell you something: Buildings don't age well down south. I was in Hilton Head a couple of years ago, and it struck my how yucky the place looked to me. Unless you build in brick, the sun absolutely kills buildings and brick is not the most popular choice of materials down south.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:20 PM

2,117 posts, read 3,541,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
Everyone loves the new car smell, but let me tell you something: Buildings don't age well down south. I was in Hilton Head a couple of years ago, and it struck my how yucky the place looked to me. Unless you build in brick, the sun absolutely kills buildings and brick is not the most popular choice of materials down south.
Humorous blanket statements, my house is melting from the overwelming sun, There is a thing called putting money into your house to keep it looking fresh. With your frame of mind I wonder how homes hold up in the cold, months of snow up North..? I go to HHI all the time, in fact in a few weeks for the ProAm, one of my favorite hangouts. You must be traveling in the low rent district...

Old 03-08-2015, 12:37 AM

252 posts, read 246,384 times
Quote:
Humorous blanket statements, my house is melting from the overwelming sun, There is a thing called putting money into your house to keep it looking fresh. With your frame of mind I wonder how homes hold up in the cold, months of snow up North..? I go to HHI all the time, in fact in a few weeks for the ProAm, one of my favorite hangouts. You must be traveling in the low rent district...
Imagine if Charlotte was a city chock full of 1970's homes. Would anybody be talking about Charlotte if that were the case? No. Fast forward 30 years and that's what you're going to have there.

Hilton Head was da bomb back in the 1980's and 1990's. Still a good area but definitely showing its age.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:42 PM

12,786 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Speaking of Charlotte, check out this ranking I did: City Population Rank If All The Same Size

If you standardized cities by square miles, Charlotte would be nowhere near top 25 largest. It's one of the worst inflated cities out there. In the ranking I did, it would be 40th largest, even smaller than Cleveland and Cincinnati, and instead on par with Rochester, NY.

For the record, Columbus would drop too, from 15th to 22nd, so it's a bit artificially ranked as well, but not nearly to the degree that several Sun Belt cities are.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:53 PM

2,117 posts, read 3,541,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Speaking of Charlotte, check out this ranking I did: City Population Rank If All The Same Size

If you standardized cities by square miles, Charlotte would be nowhere near top 25 largest. It's one of the worst inflated cities out there. In the ranking I did, it would be 40th largest, even smaller than Cleveland and Cincinnati, and instead on par with Rochester, NY.

For the record, Columbus would drop too, from 15th to 22nd, so it's a bit artificially ranked as well, but not nearly to the degree that several Sun Belt cities are.
Not sure how this is relevant . Dude, think you got too much time on your hands..

Old 03-09-2015, 10:01 AM

206 posts, read 183,181 times
Quote:
^, looks like a lot people keep moving to the Queen City.
I wasn't aware there was a mass influx of people moving to Cincinnati.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:07 PM

44 posts, read 31,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I wasn't aware there was a mass influx of people moving to Cincinnati.
Charlotte is also known as the Queen City

Old 03-14-2015, 11:14 PM

416 posts, read 546,095 times
Didn't Chiquita leave Charlotte?

Old 03-15-2015, 04:27 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,143,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Why does everyone that I encounter in Cbus want to move down south or think they are down south. Does anyone else encounter this? Columbus is a great city but I feel that people need to invest in the city but maybe this is a Ohio thing.
Well when you kick everyone's arse in football, sometimes being a winner all the time can get boring so some people may want to find out what it's like to live among those that root for an inferior SEC conference who aren't used to being winners so they move down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or