U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:44 AM

4,984 posts, read 5,746,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Speaking of Charlotte, check out this ranking I did: City Population Rank If All The Same Size

If you standardized cities by square miles, Charlotte would be nowhere near top 25 largest. It's one of the worst inflated cities out there. In the ranking I did, it would be 40th largest, even smaller than Cleveland and Cincinnati, and instead on par with Rochester, NY.

For the record, Columbus would drop too, from 15th to 22nd, so it's a bit artificially ranked as well, but not nearly to the degree that several Sun Belt cities are.
City populations are meaningless and irrelevant except when discussing matter that impact a city's political boundaries. Businesses don't look at city populations, they look at metro numbers or some type of specific industry defined market which are usually similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 PM

416 posts, read 545,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Not sure how this is relevant . Dude, think you got too much time on your hands..
It's certainly relevant to the title of the thread.

So wait? Because someone actually looks up the facts that means they have too much time on their hands? Cheap shot, dude. The numbers just don't go with the way you would want it to be, or goes against the point you're trying to make.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:20 PM

15 posts, read 14,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
So Northerners are tough because they can tolerate the snow and rough winters but Southerners are wimps because they can only tolerate the intense humidity and sweating and sunburns? Northerners laugh at the South when they panic at a couple inches of snow but Southerners laugh at Northerners when they complain of 88 degree heat waves.
I don't think I know more than a couple people in Ohio who complain about 88 degree weather, most people I know actually like 90+ degrees so long as it's not very humid.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 AM

267 posts, read 417,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Why does everyone that I encounter in Cbus want to move down south or think they are down south. Does anyone else encounter this? Columbus is a great city but I feel that people need to invest in the city but maybe this is a Ohio thing.
Well after years and years of paying multiple income taxes in Ohio, (Federal, State, City, and School), we decided we were done with it. Our last year in Ohio we had to pay two different city income taxes and two different school district income taxes. So south to Texas we moved. It is milder in the winter and their are no income taxes.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:36 PM

12,785 posts, read 12,756,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPY1 View Post
Well after years and years of paying multiple income taxes in Ohio, (Federal, State, City, and School), we decided we were done with it. Our last year in Ohio we had to pay two different city income taxes and two different school district income taxes. So south to Texas we moved. It is milder in the winter and their are no income taxes.
Costs on most other things are higher, so it'll even out. People never seem to consider anything but a handful of taxes, which I find strange. Cost of living is one of the lowest in Ohio.

Income taxes are actually going down in Ohio, as well.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Costs on most other things are higher, so it'll even out. People never seem to consider anything but a handful of taxes, which I find strange. Cost of living is one of the lowest in Ohio.

Income taxes are actually going down in Ohio, as well.
Even if income taxes are going down in Ohio, it is still not cheaper than no-income taxes. Sales tax here is on par with Ohio sales tax as are property taxes.

In Ohio, it is not uncommon for to pay a local school district property tax, a local school district income tax, plus the municipal tax, plus the state income tax. I had to file and pay into the City of Columbus income tax plus I had to file and pay into the city I lived in. I also was required to pay into a local school district tax plus the state and federal income taxes.

I live in the Harlingen/McAllen/Brownsville, Texas area, commonly referred to as the Rio Grande Valley. I was born and raised in Ohio. I've lived in WA and TN as well. I can assure you, without a doubt in my mind, the cost of living here is much lower than Ohio.

Have you personally resided in Texas to be able to compare it to Ohio?

Harlingen, Texas - 10 cheapest places to live in the U.S. - Pictures - CBS News

Old 04-08-2015, 05:07 PM

12,785 posts, read 12,756,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPY1 View Post
Even if income taxes are going down in Ohio, it is still not cheaper than no-income taxes. Sales tax here is on par with Ohio sales tax as are property taxes.

In Ohio, it is not uncommon for to pay a local school district property tax, a local school district income tax, plus the municipal tax, plus the state income tax. I had to file and pay into the City of Columbus income tax plus I had to file and pay into the city I lived in. I also was required to pay into a local school district tax plus the state and federal income taxes.

I live in the Harlingen/McAllen/Brownsville, Texas area, commonly referred to as the Rio Grande Valley. I was born and raised in Ohio. I've lived in WA and TN as well. I can assure you, without a doubt in my mind, the cost of living here is much lower than Ohio.

Have you personally resided in Texas to be able to compare it to Ohio?

Harlingen, Texas - 10 cheapest places to live in the U.S. - Pictures - CBS News
You don't have to live anywhere to be able to look up costs of living. Texas is becoming a lot more expensive overall. All of its large cities are equal to or much more expensive than Ohio's. Smaller towns may be different, but even there, costs are rising. You can thank all your fellow transplants for that, and it's only going to get worse.

Besides that, it's Texas, and you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Too hot, too conservative, too Texas-y.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Besides that, it's Texas, and you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Too hot, too conservative, too Texas-y.
Funniest thing I've heard said about Texas in a long time.. too Texas-y -

Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 PM

2,117 posts, read 3,538,897 times
Quote:
You don't have to live anywhere to be able to look up costs of living. Texas is becoming a lot more expensive overall. All of its large cities are equal to or much more expensive than Ohio's. Smaller towns may be different, but even there, costs are rising. You can thank all your fellow transplants for that, and it's only going to get worse.

and you rather live in Mehico?

Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 AM

166 posts, read 244,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
and you rather live in Mehico?
Mexico City is very mild... rarely much above 80 degrees. Very San Diego-ish if you look at it in terms of temperature averages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or