Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,488 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I've been in Columbus for 8 months now after living in Florida for most of my life and have been surprised how often I hear the "grass is greener" mentality.

I try to tell people that the 7 month Florida summer is brutal. There are large stretches where its too hot and buggy to casually spend time outside. That includes when it's still too humid at 10pm to sit outside at a restaurant/bar and when at 7am walking from your car into work you are somehow already sweating.

My first summer here in Columbus we had our windows open with the AC off for months at a time and lived in our yard. I'd gladly exchange that for a few cold months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:33 PM

73 posts, read 184,142 times
I'm not sure where the "everyone" comes from. While I'm sure they exist, I don't know of anyone who wants to move to Florida full time. Part year (winter) maybe, but I've been to Florida in the summer and have friends and relatives down south, and I say no thanks to living in FLA or anywhere in the SE year round.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:59 AM

424 posts, read 1,287,435 times
Ohio people are all over the south but I met the most living in Carolina Beach North Carolina. A lot end up moving there or to other beach towns where they used to vacation or had family that moved to. Heck in Carolina Beach you can still buy a three bedroom house for $275k

Old 02-02-2015, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Why would we want Weird People?
I love how focussed we are on the Best University in the country.
Go Bucks
Weird=indie music fans, bohmeian folks, etc.

Weird folks make cities interesting. Columbus proper (not Dublin, from what I've observed...Dublin seems to be a lot more conservative/fratty/yuppie)
has a decent share.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:39 PM

506 posts, read 423,355 times
Quote:
Why would we want Weird People?
I love how focussed we are on the Best University in the country.
Go Bucks
People are not focused on the University, rather they are focused on a football team that is associated with the University.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:44 PM

506 posts, read 423,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darn1207 View Post
Yeah, I've been in Columbus for 8 months now after living in Florida for most of my life and have been surprised how often I hear the "grass is greener" mentality.

I try to tell people that the 7 month Florida summer is brutal. There are large stretches where its too hot and buggy to casually spend time outside. That includes when it's still too humid at 10pm to sit outside at a restaurant/bar and when at 7am walking from your car into work you are somehow already sweating.

My first summer here in Columbus we had our windows open with the AC off for months at a time and lived in our yard. I'd gladly exchange that for a few cold months.
Summer in Florida is only intolerable for A/C junkies.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:51 PM

417 posts, read 590,171 times
The news makes a big deal about the snow but Columbus doesn't get that much snow. Cleveland and western PA get snow but Columbus gets a dusting.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:18 PM

5,260 posts, read 5,183,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
Ohio people are all over the south but I met the most living in Carolina Beach North Carolina. A lot end up moving there or to other beach towns where they used to vacation or had family that moved to. Heck in Carolina Beach you can still buy a three bedroom house for $275k
When my grandparents retired to Kiawah Island, SC (near Charleston) I found a ton of Ohioans in the Charleston area too...I will say if I had the right job opportunity, it's one city I wouldn't mind moving to in the South.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:20 PM

5,260 posts, read 5,183,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
The news makes a big deal about the snow but Columbus doesn't get that much snow. Cleveland and western PA get snow but Columbus gets a dusting.
Yet that dusting closes schools here...we never get a big snowstorm though.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:56 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,950,202 times
Quote:
Yet that dusting closes schools here...we never get a big snowstorm though.
What's considered to be a "big" snowstorm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus