U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 03:10 PM

12,804 posts, read 12,870,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
True...but 3" of snow should never be closing schools.

I understand if we have 9 or 10" or more...or ice...but the 2 snow events that have cancelled schools were no where near bad enough to warrant that.
Can't argue, but I'll trust that administrators thought the roads were bad enough to justify it. My mother is a bus driver in the area and she said there was a layer of ice under the snow from the rain that froze. 3" of snow alone normally wouldn't close schools, but add ice, and that's an issue, especially on rural or suburban roads.

Personally, if there is any actual difference between the number of days missed due to weather between now and years ago, the primary culprit probably lies in the American propensity to sue at the drop of a hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:21 PM

73 posts, read 146,705 times
Our central Ohio suburban district has been off three days so far this winter, which is pretty typical at this stage of the season. They get five weather days (aka calamity days) a year by law in Ohio before they have to make them up. I've had one or more kids in school since the late '80s (my youngest graduates in two years), and except for the few years the state dropped it down to three calamity days before raising it back to five again, it's been the same all along. Some years they use them all up, some years they don't. I don't remember any years when they didn't use at least a few.

Snow days weren't uncommon when I went to Columbus schools in the '60s and '70s. In fact, Columbus and surrounding districts were closed for an entire month in 1977, from the first week of February until March 7, for persistent cold and snowy weather that led to a fuel shortage. We didn't have to make any of it up either, which didn't exact break our hearts.

Last edited by 98PanAm; 01-28-2015 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 06:26 AM

48 posts, read 72,147 times
Come to Baltimore.....a sighting of a snowflake 60 miles west of here gets school cancelled. Seriously though, school gets delayed on a weather report of snow of any kind here.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:48 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,322,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Can't argue, but I'll trust that administrators thought the roads were bad enough to justify it. My mother is a bus driver in the area and she said there was a layer of ice under the snow from the rain that froze. 3" of snow alone normally wouldn't close schools, but add ice, and that's an issue, especially on rural or suburban roads.

Personally, if there is any actual difference between the number of days missed due to weather between now and years ago, the primary culprit probably lies in the American propensity to sue at the drop of a hat.
I do agree w/ that...I would fully be for tort reform because of that.
Of course judges should just throw frivolous lawsuits out period, and it would stop a lot of it.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:24 AM

12,804 posts, read 12,870,394 times
Quote:
Of course judges should just throw frivolous lawsuits out period, and it would stop a lot of it.
You'd then have to define what "frivolous" would include, which would be no easy task from a legal perspective. Still probably easier than getting a culture used to suing to stop doing it for dumb reasons.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:38 AM

506 posts, read 330,079 times
Quote:
Most lawsuits brought before a court cannot be classified as frivolous, what is extremely funny though is that this perception is created by wimpy treasonous anti-American thugs such as, Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh and the bankruptcy King fascist little Donny Trump, while they continuously provide great examples of actual frivolous lawsuits. To these treasonous anti-American thugs or Republicans, the definition of a frivolous lawsuit seems to be any lawsuit filed by a non-wealthy person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus