U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 02:53 PM

134 posts, read 113,484 times

Advertisements

Hi, still working on the move from CT to OH. Debating between living in an apartment complex with no work to do, or buying in town. Huge range, right? However, for a single person (though I have two somewhat grown kids, one at OSU) I worry about being in the burbs as I live in them now and being a single *koff* older woman just ain't working for me. I can't afford German Village or Clintonville, but Old Town (or is it Olde Towne?) I hear is another option. Is it in the midst of gentrification and if so, is it sticking? Years ago I lived in an 'up and coming' neighborhood of Providence, RI, that didn't up or come, so I'm wary of that classification. Any thoughts? Or other affordable areas with some walkability? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 06:06 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,030,835 times
Old North Columbus has more amenities and less blighted patches: none really. And it's cheap. Just stay north of Lane and east/west of High if you want a bit of peace and quiet. OTE does work if you stick west of Ohio and north of Bryden for someone unfamiliar with the area..

Old 01-27-2015, 10:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf2014 View Post
Hi, still working on the move from CT to OH. Debating between living in an apartment complex with no work to do, or buying in town. Huge range, right? However, for a single person (though I have two somewhat grown kids, one at OSU) I worry about being in the burbs as I live in them now and being a single *koff* older woman just ain't working for me. I can't afford German Village or Clintonville, but Old Town (or is it Olde Towne?) I hear is another option. Is it in the midst of gentrification and if so, is it sticking? Years ago I lived in an 'up and coming' neighborhood of Providence, RI, that didn't up or come, so I'm wary of that classification. Any thoughts? Or other affordable areas with some walkability? Thanks
The location of OTE is excellent. Close to Downtown and other places. As far as revitalization, it's still a bit hit or miss. It's been going on for a long time, but only recently has the pace seemed to be increasing. I know back in November I looked at houses and almost every one I looked at was in contract, so houses seem to be moving fairly quickly. Still some really great deals, but most places will need some work. The best bet is to either get as close as you can to Franklin Park, or along Bryden Road. These are the two epicenters of revitalization, and to a lesser degree, the Wilson/Oak area.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 PM

424 posts, read 1,081,234 times
I have visited Olde Town East on and off for nearly 14 years having friends that owned a recording studio there years ago. I just recently visited again earlier this month and was blown away by how cool some of the blocks have become. I had a beer and some amazing pizza from Yellow Brick Pizza on Oak Street. Parsons all the way to 18th is where I spent time on this particularly snowy visit. It is moving the right direction which is why A.) houses are moving so fast. B.) you can't find many vacant properties for sale on the Columbus Land Bank.

Also for the last two weeks I have had an alert set up through the Raidsonline crime reporting web site and very little is coming back in that area in terms of crime reports.

I previously was looking in Franklinton but I have turned my sites on OTE.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:19 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,063,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
I have visited Olde Town East on and off for nearly 14 years having friends that owned a recording studio there years ago. I just recently visited again earlier this month and was blown away by how cool some of the blocks have become. I had a beer and some amazing pizza from Yellow Brick Pizza on Oak Street. Parsons all the way to 18th is where I spent time on this particularly snowy visit. It is moving the right direction which is why A.) houses are moving so fast. B.) you can't find many vacant properties for sale on the Columbus Land Bank.

Also for the last two weeks I have had an alert set up through the Raidsonline crime reporting web site and very little is coming back in that area in terms of crime reports.

I previously was looking in Franklinton but I have turned my sites on OTE.

I would agree. Olde town east seems to be turning the corner-finally. Franklinton does have some great art spaces-warehouses-local shops potential and activity going on. It may be Columbus' new arts district but Olde Town is much further along in being a solid residential neighborhood.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:58 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,030,835 times
That's pretty much by default: OTE is full of homes, but the eastern corner of Franklinton where revitalization is taking off has few residential options and lots of empty grass lots. Until some new apartment buildings go up I don't see that changing anytime soon. The rest of Franklinton has the vast bulk of housing, but not the revitalization, so unless Broad or Sullivant pick up soon not many people are going to pick it over OTE.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 10,856 times
Revitalization in OTE has really started snowballing, and rents/home prices are reflecting that. There are a lot of projects in the works right now, like Oak/Douglass, Oak/Wilson, Oak/Ohio, 122 Parsons, Parsons Ave makeover, and the Trolley Barn. But there are just as many projects still in the planning stages that no one knows about yet. It's going to be an exciting few years for the neighborhood, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus