U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,802 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are starting the process of relocating to Columbus after moving away about 8 years ago. I know the area fairly well as I was born and raised in Columbus but my kids were very young when we moved. Now, we're looking for elementary schools where kids in their class are more likely to have two moms, two dads, or transgender family members. I'm thinking the Clintonville area might be perfect for us but can anyone recommend specific elementary schools? Feel free to send me a personal message. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 02:59 PM

688 posts, read 863,410 times
Not sure about same-sex parent couples, but Columbus Academy at one point prominently hosted on their website a mission statement to be inclusive of all walks of life and made a specific mention of LGBT. Can't seem to find the same statement any longer, though that may be attributable to LGBT simply being included in the broader diversity pledge rather than singled out individually.

Celebrating Diversity and Community at Columbus Academy, OH

Old 02-02-2015, 07:13 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,301,055 times
You'd probably want to find out what schools serves Victorian Village or German Village...being that those neighborhoods have a higher concentration of LGBT couples, they are bound to have some children in the schools. Clintonville is definitely another good choice.
Grandview Heights might also be a good one to look into.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 AM

12,766 posts, read 12,748,545 times
I honestly have no idea if this is true, but I've always heard that Clintonville has a fairly sizeable lesbian population. That might be reflected in the schools around it.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:37 PM

11 posts, read 10,631 times
I used to work in Columbus Schools. Clinton Elementary in Clintonville has many children from LGBT families. It is a very welcoming school that embraces diversity. Also, Clinton has a wonderful hard working principal and very high test scores. Indianola Informal School in Clintonville also has LGBT families and is very inclusive. However, it is a lottery only school and hard to get into. Clinton is neighborhood so if you live in its neighborhood boundaries you are guaranteed a spot.

The schools that serve Victorian Village and German Village, Hubbard, Steward, Siebert etc. are more inner city and most of the children come from poverty stricken homes. The people with money who live in Victorian Village and German Village typically move to the suburbs by the time their kids reach school age or go to private school and the public schools serve the little ones from the poverty stricken outskirts of these areas. The staff at these schools are very hard working but have to spend most of their time dealing with behavior problems so I wouldn't recommend sending my kids to those schools. Also, those schools do not reflect the LBGT community in the neighborhood.

If any of your kids are still preschool aged, School for Young Children, in Clintonville also has many children with two moms or two dads but it is only for preschool. I hope this helps!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:42 AM

4 posts, read 3,802 times
Ameiliamarie85, I heard the exact same thing from a friend of a friend so now I'm wondering if we have a mutual acquaintance. LOL

I'm going to home school for the rest of the year because we're renting a house in Lancaster for a few months. It doesn't make sense to put my kids in two new schools within a few months. We have a transgender child so LGBT friendly areas tend to have kids that are much more accepting. Thanks for the information!

Old 02-19-2015, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,871 times
I went to Indianola Informal K-8, and knew a couple transgender kids that went there. Several of my friends had two moms or two dads. The principal is a gay man. It's very accepting, and in general it's great for a public school. Clintonville as a neighborhood is very LGBT-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus