U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:26 PM

2,359 posts, read 3,305,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That bus doesn't go to Worthington. It's a Downtown circulator that goes to north to 2nd Avenue along High Street and then south through Downtown itself. If you're coming from Worthington and worried about parking in the Short North, park Downtown and then take the bus to the Short North. Or, just park a bit further from where you want to go and walk. I've honestly never had all that much trouble outside of big events or Gallery Hop.
If you have gone down to the Short North on the 1st Saturday Night of the month, you'll run into this and then parking is a nightmare...it's extremely crowded...I would avoid that night if I were you.

The OP mentioned living in Worthington...if you live close enough to walk to High Street, that #2 Bus does go all the way up and down High Street and will take you to the Short North. If you don't live close enough to walk to High Street, then definitely the downtown garages, Nationwide Garage, or Arena District Lots/Garages work fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 10:37 PM

90 posts, read 66,053 times
I can understand how it could seem confusing if you are new to or not familiar with the area, but honestly if you're circling around for half an hour or heading home because you can't find a spot, you're doing it wrong. Sorry, but true.

City-owned metered lots are located at High/4th, High/2nd, and High/Lincoln.

Public Parking garages are located at High/Hubbard and High/Russell.

More parking is located all around the Convention Center (multiple surface lots and garages), Arena District, and Downtown in general. These are a short walk or free bus ride (Cbus*) away from the SN.

Metered parking is located all along High St, down Goodale to Neil, along Park St, etc.

Free on-street parking is available on many streets a block or two off High in either direction (Summit, 4th, Neil, etc). Permit zones are the exception, not the rule.

COTA extensively serves the area with multiple routes. Use Google Maps to plan a trip or check out their website. From Worthington, the #2 is a fast, frequent, and direct link right down High St all the way.

If you're going to a restaurant, odds are they have valet parking available.

Alternative transit options like CoGo and Car2Go are an option if you are traveling from within their service areas.

*The Cbus is also great for getting around the Short North once you're there. Park once, and then ride it between destinations if it's longer than you'd like to walk.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:56 AM

506 posts, read 327,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That bus doesn't go to Worthington. It's a Downtown circulator that goes to north to 2nd Avenue along High Street and then south through Downtown itself. If you're coming from Worthington and worried about parking in the Short North, park Downtown and then take the bus to the Short North. Or, just park a bit further from where you want to go and walk. I've honestly never had all that much trouble outside of big events or Gallery Hop.
I've never had trouble finding a parking spot, but I'm able to walk so I don't try to find a parking spot one foot away from my destination. I'd park at Land and High if it meant I did not have to drive around like a foolish moron looking for a "close" parking space because I'm afraid to walk more than one foot.

Why do people feel an overwhelming need to park one foot away from their destination? I find it particularly strange and probably a good indicator of mental illness, when people brag about finding a close parking spot.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
I've never had trouble finding a parking spot, but I'm able to walk so I don't try to find a parking spot one foot away from my destination. I'd park at Land and High if it meant I did not have to drive around like a foolish moron looking for a "close" parking space because I'm afraid to walk more than one foot.

Why do people feel an overwhelming need to park one foot away from their destination? I find it particularly strange and probably a good indicator of mental illness, when people brag about finding a close parking spot.
Some people may have a disability and are unable to walk far
Get off your high and mighty horse...not everyone wants to walk...its incoveniant. I'd much rather park close to where I'm going, especially if weather is crappy. I don't mind walking when its nice...but if its 40 and rain no freaking way...same if its really cold...or really hot.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:39 AM

506 posts, read 327,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Some people may have a disability and are unable to walk far
Get off your high and mighty horse...not everyone wants to walk...its incoveniant. I'd much rather park close to where I'm going, especially if weather is crappy. I don't mind walking when its nice...but if its 40 and rain no freaking way...same if its really cold...or really hot.
I understand some people may have medical issues that prevent them from walking, while the only things preventing most people from walking is extreme laziness and a lack of moderate toughness.

You, like most people who suffer from the perverse close parking mindset, offer up a bunch minor reasons while you're unable to walk more than a few feet. Walking is never inconvenient and walking during extreme weather conditions is the best way to showcase your superiority over others, while they are driving around crying in their automobiles about not being able to find a good parking spot.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,032,854 times
I'll never understand this complaint, since even back when I had a car or later after I ditched it and would sometimes ride with friends to Gallery Hop from Clintonville near Broadway we'd always find a spot just a couple blocks away: maybe three if we were really unlucky. Last time I was there we found a space just a little east of Dennison on Price: about a whopping two minute walk to High St. And people tend to stroll up and down the Short North for blocks anyway: rare medical reasons otherwise. So what's the big deal just a walking a minute or two to reach High St? You'd already be there choosing to walk instead of driving around in circles waiting for a spot on or right off of High. It's a city neighborhood, not a mall, where you'd likely have to park way back and then walk across a good portion of the mall to your destination anyway.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:29 PM

688 posts, read 864,747 times
No one is mentioning that the further off the beaten path the higher the probability of auto break-ins. I don't mind walking, four or five blocks for that matter is fine by me, but if that four or five blocks translates to parking on 4th St. near housing projects, forget it. Not worth $150 auto glass repair bill plus whatever other damage is done by the predators for a night of entertainment when I can go to any local watering hole in one of Columbus's many suburbs and find safe, surface lot parking.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:34 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,594,415 times
Summit and 4th are great spots for parking during Gallery Hop. I don't even bother driving around anymore - it's pointless. Don't park north of 3rd though.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:49 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,067,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
No one is mentioning that the further off the beaten path the higher the probability of auto break-ins. I don't mind walking, four or five blocks for that matter is fine by me, but if that four or five blocks translates to parking on 4th St. near housing projects, forget it. Not worth $150 auto glass repair bill plus whatever other damage is done by the predators for a night of entertainment when I can go to any local watering hole in one of Columbus's many suburbs and find safe, surface lot parking.

Hello news flash. This is not 2003. These days parking in Italian village or Victorian village- one of the short north off high street neighborhoods doesn't come with the same risks. 3rd and 4th street are bustling with new development and those section 8 or projects are few and far between. I recommend parking on summit or 4 th to those who don't want pay for one of the new convenient to high street garages.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
I understand some people may have medical issues that prevent them from walking, while the only things preventing most people from walking is extreme laziness and a lack of moderate toughness.

You, like most people who suffer from the perverse close parking mindset, offer up a bunch minor reasons while you're unable to walk more than a few feet. Walking is never inconvenient and walking during extreme weather conditions is the best way to showcase your superiority over others, while they are driving around crying in their automobiles about not being able to find a good parking spot.

I don't care about superiority over others...that's just F'ng stupid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or