U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 11:12 AM

506 posts, read 327,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
No one is mentioning that the further off the beaten path the higher the probability of auto break-ins. I don't mind walking, four or five blocks for that matter is fine by me, but if that four or five blocks translates to parking on 4th St. near housing projects, forget it. Not worth $150 auto glass repair bill plus whatever other damage is done by the predators for a night of entertainment when I can go to any local watering hole in one of Columbus's many suburbs and find safe, surface lot parking.
If you don't leave you Apple laptop on the front seat in plain view nobody is going to break into your 1985 Chevrolet Cavalier and I've got news for you, thieves prowl those so-called safe suburban parking lots you mention, because they know suburban people are the easiest to rob. If a parking lot has rent a cops, even better because people are further lulled into a false sense of security therefore making them even easier to rob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:10 PM

688 posts, read 863,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
If you don't leave you Apple laptop on the front seat in plain view nobody is going to break into your 1985 Chevrolet Cavalier and I've got news for you, thieves prowl those so-called safe suburban parking lots you mention, because they know suburban people are the easiest to rob. If a parking lot has rent a cops, even better because people are further lulled into a false sense of security therefore making them even easier to rob.
Never had my vehicle broken in to outside of downtown Columbus (and for the record they stole nothing because nothing was in the car but nonetheless I had to clean up the glass and pay for a replacement window, etc.). Can name at least three coworkers or friends who have experienced the same property crime within a few blocks of High St. either downtown or in Short North area. Not the same story out in the 'burbs. Transient crime is more prevalent in those urban core neighborhoods. Again, my source is a Columbus police officer. Not making this up based only on a couple of stories.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:31 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,593,333 times
Quote:
Never had my vehicle broken in to outside of downtown Columbus (and for the record they stole nothing because nothing was in the car but nonetheless I had to clean up the glass and pay for a replacement window, etc.). Can name at least three coworkers or friends who have experienced the same property crime within a few blocks of High St. either downtown or in Short North area. Not the same story out in the 'burbs. Transient crime is more prevalent in those urban core neighborhoods. Again, my source is a Columbus police officer. Not making this up based only on a couple of stories.
That's great. We lived at the corner of 5th and Indianola for 2 years - yes, tiny, terrible Weinland Park - and were never broken into once. Our neighbor did get his back window smashed out once as he left something visible. Now, living in Brewery District (yes, the big bad urban core), it's not even something I think about. The risk is tiny. If you don't want to pay for parking and don't want to park in these terrible neighborhoods, don't come. Downtown is increasingly less car friendly, although it will take a long while before it is not car friendly. The Short North isn't car friendly at all, particular on the weekends, and is a complete nightmare during Gallery Hop. Thems the breaks.

There have been improvements in garage access in the SN, which is nice. I suspect there will be even more as surface lots are (rightfully) vanishing in the neighborhood. But during Gallery Hop it's a nightmare to even get to those garages, so I park on 4th, or take the Cbus.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:58 AM

80 posts, read 104,471 times
My mothers house was in the Campus, Clintonville area growing up. I always thought you could park on any side street. Growing up short North was considered ghetto. Now i guess its upcoming?? I still have no idea why people go there to walk up and down high street.. After living in Dublin and now New Albany, i would rather walk around these towns. Much classier people, no crime or parking to worry about, great food and drinks

Old 02-13-2015, 07:25 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,031,781 times
Quote:
No one is mentioning that the further off the beaten path the higher the probability of auto break-ins. I don't mind walking, four or five blocks for that matter is fine by me, but if that four or five blocks translates to parking on 4th St. near housing projects, forget it. Not worth $150 auto glass repair bill plus whatever other damage is done by the predators for a night of entertainment when I can go to any local watering hole in one of Columbus's many suburbs and find safe, surface lot parking.
Safe: until you drive home drunk from the local suburban (read: sports and/or bland) bar. Whenever I visit Columbus and hit up the Short North with family by car we never have an issue finding parking and never see rows of car windows smashed in. Don't leave your stuff visible in your car, because even in the burbs people get their cars broken into.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:59 AM

12,785 posts, read 12,759,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Safe: until you drive home drunk from the local suburban (read: sports and/or bland) bar. Whenever I visit Columbus and hit up the Short North with family by car we never have an issue finding parking and never see rows of car windows smashed in. Don't leave your stuff visible in your car, because even in the burbs people get their cars broken into.
Yep. A good friend of mine was robbed at gunpoint and then beaten badly enough to be hospitalized... in suburban Hilliard. I don't know of anyone where this has happened in the urban core. The point is, crime can happen anywhere, and so long as one takes common sense precautions, they should be okay.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:35 AM

688 posts, read 863,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
That's great. We lived at the corner of 5th and Indianola for 2 years - yes, tiny, terrible Weinland Park - and were never broken into once. Our neighbor did get his back window smashed out once as he left something visible. Now, living in Brewery District (yes, the big bad urban core), it's not even something I think about. The risk is tiny. If you don't want to pay for parking and don't want to park in these terrible neighborhoods, don't come. Downtown is increasingly less car friendly, although it will take a long while before it is not car friendly. The Short North isn't car friendly at all, particular on the weekends, and is a complete nightmare during Gallery Hop. Thems the breaks.

There have been improvements in garage access in the SN, which is nice. I suspect there will be even more as surface lots are (rightfully) vanishing in the neighborhood. But during Gallery Hop it's a nightmare to even get to those garages, so I park on 4th, or take the Cbus.

Other than for employment I seldom go downtown for myriad reasons. The limited nature and expense of parking is but a small one. Others include commute time and associated convenience. But probably more significant of a contributing factor is that I have practically everything I need in close proximity to my home in one of Columbus Metro's fine suburban communities. Sure, I may go Elevator or Bar Louie or Hyde Park for a happy hour with coworkers on a Thursday evening but downtown is not that great of a draw. I am happy to keep my dollars circulating within my local community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or