U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 7,094 times

Advertisements

Is there a trick? We move here last April and I've about given up on even going there, despite the fact that I'd like to. The first time I went down, I found a great side parking spot. The second time I went down to park in the same area, my husband (not with me the first time) noted it was permit only. Besides being thankful I wasn't ticketed, we were on the search again. Once we parked at the North Market and then in a lot around by the market, which makes for a lot of walking to short north. We've been down three more times and with stopped traffic trying to get into the North Market lot, which was full anyways, and we ended up driving back home. There is never street parking, most streets around are permit only and the North Market is easily labeled a cluster f***.
So, what are we missing? Coming from Worthington, I hardly want to waste my time anymore not knowing if we'll even be able to park. Doesn't seem like a smart city, not making parking available or apparent to non-natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 09:24 AM

506 posts, read 327,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesah View Post
Is there a trick? We move here last April and I've about given up on even going there, despite the fact that I'd like to. The first time I went down, I found a great side parking spot. The second time I went down to park in the same area, my husband (not with me the first time) noted it was permit only. Besides being thankful I wasn't ticketed, we were on the search again. Once we parked at the North Market and then in a lot around by the market, which makes for a lot of walking to short north. We've been down three more times and with stopped traffic trying to get into the North Market lot, which was full anyways, and we ended up driving back home. There is never street parking, most streets around are permit only and the North Market is easily labeled a cluster f***.
So, what are we missing? Coming from Worthington, I hardly want to waste my time anymore not knowing if we'll even be able to park. Doesn't seem like a smart city, not making parking available or apparent to non-natives.
Do you lack the ability to walk?

Why do you need to park two feet away from your destination, or better yet why do you even need to take your car?

You'll find plenty of non-permit automobile parking around Neil and 5th or you could jump on a COTA bus in Worthington and not need to worry about parking at all.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:43 AM

12,785 posts, read 12,761,529 times
Park in one of the 40,000 parking spaces Downtown and take the C-Bus circulator. That's what many people do now. Personally, I've never had trouble parking in the SN. Either I found a spot a few blocks off High and walked, or I used the 2nd Avenue city lot which, except during events, never seems to be full. There are also a couple of new garages... 1 on Hubbard Avenue and one behind the Joseph project just north of the 670 Cap.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Besides the suggestions above, parking at North Market is expensive and very difficult. It's really not that far from the Short North, though... a block maybe? There's also the Nationwide garage not that far from there. I've always found spots there, too.

But I'm not sure how the city would make parking more apparent for newcomers. I've never been to a city that targeted that group for parking. It's always been... you find it.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:13 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,303,185 times
Living in Dublin, I don't go to the Short North very often but when I do go, I park either a street spot 2-3 blocks from High Street and walked or have parked in the Arena District garages and walked.
Or if I knew I was going to be drinking I get a Uber taxi.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:32 PM

506 posts, read 327,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Living in Dublin, I don't go to the Short North very often but when I do go, I park either a street spot 2-3 blocks from High Street and walked or have parked in the Arena District garages and walked.
Or if I knew I was going to be drinking I get a Uber taxi.
When you travel to the Short North it seems that you are able to park your automobile extremely close to your destination, so I'm not certain what your concern is because you've successfully parked your automobile.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:17 PM

Thanks for those that were helpful. I've never heard of the bus, so I'll check that out. I'm not sure they need to direct newcomers to parking, but ANYONE to parking. Sorry, been to a lot of cities, most recently lived closer to Cleveland and the parking (garages/lots) and such are indeed much more prevalent. It's hardly an odd question. Short North does seriously lack normal access, from my limited exposure. However, it could be that I need to go more south, by the sounds of it, assuming that is where the nationwide garage is.
Regardless, while it may be normal for locals, it really is odd there is a lack of parking, but again, that's why I asked, because I don't know. I've found myself driving around for half an hour in traffic and not knowing where the hell to park. Walking isn't so much the problem compared to the pointless driving. Thanks for the helpful tips. Those that weren't helpful, maybe a forum isn't your thing.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:23 PM

I should clarify, I'll look into the C-bus. I doubt I'd drive to a bus stop somewhere here in Worthington to hop on the bus to eventually get there at some point in the day. Not everyone has all the time in the world and is single. The non-car high horse does not impress.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for those that were helpful. I've never heard of the bus, so I'll check that out. I'm not sure they need to direct newcomers to parking, but ANYONE to parking. Sorry, been to a lot of cities, most recently lived closer to Cleveland and the parking (garages/lots) and such are indeed much more prevalent. It's hardly an odd question. Short North does seriously lack normal access, from my limited exposure. However, it could be that I need to go more south, by the sounds of it, assuming that is where the nationwide garage is.
Regardless, while it may be normal for locals, it really is odd there is a lack of parking, but again, that's why I asked, because I don't know. I've found myself driving around for half an hour in traffic and not knowing where the hell to park. Walking isn't so much the problem compared to the pointless driving. Thanks for the helpful tips. Those that weren't helpful, maybe a forum isn't your thing.
You have to consider that this is an urban neighborhood that is highly populated, growing and dense. The only way to accommodate more parking at this point is to bulldoze existing historic buildings, and that's just ridiculous. Use the C-Bus. It's free, very popular and safe and you don't to worry about finding a spot nearby.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I should clarify, I'll look into the C-bus. I doubt I'd drive to a bus stop somewhere here in Worthington to hop on the bus to eventually get there at some point in the day. Not everyone has all the time in the world and is single. The non-car high horse does not impress.
That bus doesn't go to Worthington. It's a Downtown circulator that goes to north to 2nd Avenue along High Street and then south through Downtown itself. If you're coming from Worthington and worried about parking in the Short North, park Downtown and then take the bus to the Short North. Or, just park a bit further from where you want to go and walk. I've honestly never had all that much trouble outside of big events or Gallery Hop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or