Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:02 PM

506 posts, read 423,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
We dont have a chlidish moronic attachment to cars. We NEED them. Because long ago in the 40s thru the 70s and on thru today, city planners - and the people alive during that time who voted with their wallets - decided we didnt need transit, or new dense neighborhoods. So we built subdivisions, sprawl, and roads for cars, and gave little to no thought to walking or biking let alone transit.

Other than a rather pathetic bus sytem. When I moved here in the 80s there was a bus stop right outside my apartment on the NE Side, also one right outside my office on Reed Rd. To take the bus I would have to ride all the way downtown, transfer, and ride out to Reed. Now that was moronic - it took 15 min to drive but would likely take one to 1.5 hours one way on the bus.

Now, I live near Westerville and commute to Marysville. Is there a rail proposal to go up Rt 33? Id consider using that. But Ive never heard of such a proposal. All I have heard is a line from maybe Worthington to Downtown. Great for a few thousand commuters, and going to OSU games, or a concert or event Downtown. Not so great for suburb to suburb commuters.

Sure it would be cool to have light rail, subway, monorail, or trolleys. Ive used and enjoyed those in many cities I have visited. But for the majority of commuters it would not be utiliized.
Sorry, but the public does have a moronic childish attachment to automobiles. I fully realize cars have become almost a necessity in most USA cities for any person wishing to be a productive member of society, because of extremely poor and idiotic decisions made by people fifty years ago. However, today in the USA a majority of the public is not doing anything to reverse this dreadful and extremely expensive trend because of a moronic childish attachment to automobiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 05:18 PM

73 posts, read 184,175 times
Try stating your opinions - and they ARE just your opinions - without ironically referring to people who dare to have a different point of view as "childish", "moronic", and "idiotic". Far from being persuasive, it's polarizing and leads people to discount anything you have to say, and ultimately says far more about you than the issue at hand.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:47 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,694,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98PanAm View Post
Try stating your opinions - and they ARE just your opinions - without ironically referring to people who dare to have a different point of view as "childish", "moronic", and "idiotic". Far from being persuasive, it's polarizing and leads people to discount anything you have to say, and ultimately says far more about you than the issue at hand.
This.
Yac.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98PanAm View Post
There are not two distinctly equal sides to every single issue, some opinions are substantially more reasonable than others. You can have the opinion that the Earth is only 6,000 years old or that homosexual people should not be allowed to marry, but these are clearly unreasonable opinions that are only seem as valid in the world of crazy morons. You could also hold opinions such as childhood vaccines cause autism or that gluten is poison, but again reasonable people know these opinions are total nonsense.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:18 PM

5,266 posts, read 5,185,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
There are not two distinctly equal sides to every single issue, some opinions are substantially more reasonable than others. You can have the opinion that the Earth is only 6,000 years old or that homosexual people should not be allowed to marry, but these are clearly unreasonable opinions that are only seem as valid in the world of crazy morons. You could also hold opinions such as childhood vaccines cause autism or that gluten is poison, but again reasonable people know these opinions are total nonsense.
Yes but "attachment to cars" is not in the same realm as "the earth is 6K yrs old or us gays (yes I'm gay) can't marry, or that childhood vaccines cause Autism(or even if it did, would a parent rather have a dead child or an autistic one...so that arguement is stupid on so many levels)....this country created the automobile...it has made us less dependent than any other civilisation...I see no need whatsoever for me to have Light Rail in Columbus because I live in Dublin, and work in Dublin and driving to work is the most conveniant for me. I wouldn't be agaisnt building Light Rail here though because I know driving is not for everyone. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give up my car. And no that is not childish...it's childish for the small minority who don't have cars to push to make it more difficult for thos of us who do.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Yes but "attachment to cars" is not in the same realm as "the earth is 6K yrs old or us gays (yes I'm gay) can't marry, or that childhood vaccines cause Autism(or even if it did, would a parent rather have a dead child or an autistic one...so that argument is stupid on so many levels)....this country created the automobile...it has made us less dependent than any other civilization...I see no need whatsoever for me to have Light Rail in Columbus because I live in Dublin, and work in Dublin and driving to work is the most convenient for me. I wouldn't be against building Light Rail here though because I know driving is not for everyone. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give up my car. And no that is not childish...it's childish for the small minority who don't have cars to push to make it more difficult for thos of us who do.
The automobile is only the most convenient transportation option for you because the city was set up for this, but please understand cities can be set up to make other more efficient methods of transportation more viable which is not occurring because of a childish moronic attachment to automobiles.

The automobile is not making you less dependent it is making you more dependent, if something causes you to not be able to use your automobile, I'd imagine your life is going to become extremely inconvenient really quick, suddenly you'd be forced to rely on an army of people just carry out some simple daily tasks if you still had a desire to maintain life as it was when you were proudly driving down the roadways in your own automobile.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:25 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,954,546 times
Quote:
Yes but "attachment to cars" is not in the same realm as "the earth is 6K yrs old or us gays (yes I'm gay) can't marry, or that childhood vaccines cause Autism(or even if it did, would a parent rather have a dead child or an autistic one...so that arguement is stupid on so many levels)....this country created the automobile...it has made us less dependent than any other civilisation...I see no need whatsoever for me to have Light Rail in Columbus because I live in Dublin, and work in Dublin and driving to work is the most conveniant for me. I wouldn't be agaisnt building Light Rail here though because I know driving is not for everyone. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give up my car. And no that is not childish...it's childish for the small minority who don't have cars to push to make it more difficult for thos of us who do.
The argument that anyone is trying to force people to give up their cars or intentionally make it harder to drive is complete and utter BS. That's the kind of scare tactic nonsense that people say to malign transit, along with the other nonsense arguments of subsidization or "no one will use it!".

Old 02-12-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
The automobile is only the most convenient transportation option for you because the city was set up for this, but please understand cities can be set up to make other more efficient methods of transportation more viable which is not occurring because of a childish moronic attachment to automobiles.

The automobile is not making you less dependent it is making you more dependent, if something causes you to not be able to use your automobile, I'd imagine your life is going to become extremely inconvenient really quick, suddenly you'd be forced to rely on an army of people just carry out some simple daily tasks if you still had a desire to maintain life as it was when you were proudly driving down the roadways in your own automobile.
While I certainly share your frustration at the people who fetishize their cars and use their own selfish reasons (the "I won't use it, so why does the city need it" argument) to be against alternatives, I'm not sure you're going to advance the debate much with this tactic.

Also, I tend to agree that the car does actually make people less independent. I wouldn't have thought that until I got rid of my car and lived in a city where it's actually possible to live without one. I feel more free without it, and I save thousands of dollars in the process that I use towards improving my own quality of life. The notion that you must struggle with daily life (travel, groceries, etc.) is simply not true when a comprehensive, multi-modal system exists. And if I truly need a car in a rare occasion, car-share and car rentals still exist. This all goes without saying that my level of stress has been greatly reduced now that I don't have to fight traffic or worry about the weather, and I'm healthier and more active now than I ever was when I was auto-dependent. Having a car was a huge burden, and you almost have to go without it to realize just how much of one it really is.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 PM

5,266 posts, read 5,185,417 times
Quote:

Not at all less dependent....I'm going on a road trip this summer across the country...something I could not do at all w/out a car. Something I've wanted to do for awhile. It allows me to go anywhere I want at any time. I don't have to rely on a schedule set by someone else.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Not at all less dependent....I'm going on a road trip this summer across the country...something I could not do at all w/out a car. Something I've wanted to do for awhile. It allows me to go anywhere I want at any time. I don't have to rely on a schedule set by someone else.
That doesn't require actually owning a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus