U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 08:26 AM

637 posts, read 647,648 times

Advertisements

Just moved here not too long ago and would like to know the areas to avoid/
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 09:27 AM

506 posts, read 327,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
There are no areas of Columbus to avoid if your skin tone is light, but if its on the darker side you should avoid ultra racist communities like, New Albany, Dublin and Powell.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,300,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post

The easiest thing to do is look at a crime map...where you see the higher concentration of reports of crime, those are areas you want to stay away from.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:40 PM

874 posts, read 1,028,771 times
Essentially, the further southeast you go, the likelier you are going to be in a high-crime area.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:38 PM

2,359 posts, read 3,300,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Essentially, the further southeast you go, the likelier you are going to be in a high-crime area.
Certainly true once you pass Nationwide Childrens

Also NE of where 71 and 670 meet is also a very high crime area.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:21 PM

688 posts, read 863,219 times
The downtown area / business district is generally safe. However, as you move out from the epicenter but before you get to the surrounding suburbs, you can run into some dicey areas.

If you go out Mound St. to the west of downtown you may wish to lock your doors. If you go out Livingston Ave. east of downtown, you may not wish to sit too long at a red light. Heading north up 4th St. or Cleveland Ave. you may want to keep 911 on speed dial. Going south down Parsons Ave. you may want to keep you hand on your sidearm at all time.

All hyperbole of course, but you get the idea. The immediate downtown area is fine. Even up through Short North, The Arena District, and into German Village and the Brewery District is OK during the day. The problem with these safer enclaves within Columbus proper is transient crime. It is most likely to be property crime such as a stolen bicycle or breaking a window and stealing from a car, but if you are in Clintonville, German / Merion Village, Short North or the Campus Area the residents from the surrounding areas move in after dark and prey upon these relatively higher wealth areas.

Source: friend on the Columbus PD.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:26 AM

80 posts, read 104,369 times
Any areas outside of 270 is nice... Its easy to tell as your driving around by the people and areas..
Most areas around downtown are bad.

I work in some of the worst neighborhoods in Columbus, i have never had a problem.. I'm also a big guy and avoid talking to people.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:50 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,592,143 times
Since moving south of downtown I've been over to Parsons to shop a few times. It's not pretty, and I know it's dangerous, but nobody is going to walk up and shoot you in the head. I wouldn't live there, but I don't live in so much fear that I avoid the ACE Hardware there. Ditto for Cleveland Ave. Obviously a bad neighborhood, but if you're driving through you'll be fine or just want to go to the Sears Outlet, nothing will happen to you.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 AM

688 posts, read 863,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Since moving south of downtown I've been over to Parsons to shop a few times. It's not pretty, and I know it's dangerous, but nobody is going to walk up and shoot you in the head. I wouldn't live there, but I don't live in so much fear that I avoid the ACE Hardware there. Ditto for Cleveland Ave. Obviously a bad neighborhood, but if you're driving through you'll be fine or just want to go to the Sears Outlet, nothing will happen to you.
Exactly. Violent crime is not exactly a pandemic in Columbus. On the other hand, in the areas I described in my previous post the probabilities of being a victim of property crime (car break-in, theft, burglary, robbery) are higher than the downtown business district and surrounding suburbs. Rape, murder, armed assault, etc. are low throughout the City though this does not translate to doing whatever you want whenever you want with impunity. Any resident would be wise to not make themselves a high probability target and avoid certain situations such as being alone in the proverbial dark alley.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:45 AM

12,765 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Exactly. Violent crime is not exactly a pandemic in Columbus. On the other hand, in the areas I described in my previous post the probabilities of being a victim of property crime (car break-in, theft, burglary, robbery) are higher than the downtown business district and surrounding suburbs. Rape, murder, armed assault, etc. are low throughout the City though this does not translate to doing whatever you want whenever you want with impunity. Any resident would be wise to not make themselves a high probability target and avoid certain situations such as being alone in the proverbial dark alley.
Common sense always goes a long way no matter where you live. Living in Hilltop for years, the threat is probably perceived to be much higher than it really is. Consider that most violent crime is associated with people who are involved in some kind of criminal behavior themselves. Rape is an exception to that, but most murder/assault isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or