U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 546,213 times
Reputation: 430

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Many people left the Metro Detroit during the economic downturn but the economy has rebounded.The unemployment rate of Columbus is 3.5% and Oakland County is 5.5%.

However, the OP was talking about wanting to leave the Detroit area for being crime ridden. I was merely clarifying that Metro Detroit is huge; and the vast majority of the area is safe, clean, and efficient.

I lived in Cleveland for 3 years and Columbus for about a year. Columbus is a pleasant city. But if you want to delude yourself into thinking that the Columbus area has more amenities to offer than Metro Detroit, go ahead. Facts are facts, let's not get emotional.
Unemployment aside, Columbus has for well over a year now recovered all of its jobs lost in the recession. Detroit is dead last in that category. I don't care how well the auto industry is doing today, Detroit/Michigan lost so much in that regard that it is hard to come back to its peak. Not to mention Detroit and Michigan still heavily rely on the auto industry. Just look at non-farm % growth in employment: Ohio is doing better than Michigan on top of having an unemployment rate at 4.8% compared to Michigan's 6.3% Unemployment rates are always hard to describe the entire picture, so when you have a growing labor force with a declining unemployment rate, that usually means things are looking up. Because of Columbus' diverse economy compared to Detroit's, I would feel much better about job prospects in Columbus.

No one is getting emotional; this is an internet forum. It's being matter of fact. You sound a little testy. You're talking a matter of size, but there's much more to it than that. You will not admit to that because it would go against what you're trying to say, but Columbus offers great amenities for just about everyone. If you want a city with a good quality of life, parks/recreational opportunities, diverse and educated population, a diverse economy, etc, Columbus easily fits the bill. You can tell me how great Detroit's institutions are (almost going bankrupt and selling art sounds shaky to me), but I can come up with a rebuttal to why the Columbus is better than Detroit. Round and round we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 546,213 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Michigan is one of Ohio's largest domestic migration feeder states and has been for a long time. And you're right that metro Columbus has a net gain from metro Detroit. Besides the Cleveland and Cincinnati areas, it's Columbus' 3rd highest domestic migration origin.
You put together some really good data (or found it) a while back. I really enjoyed you quieting those NC posters showing Ohio actually imports residents from NC instead of sending out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 04:21 PM
 
1,422 posts, read 1,363,970 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Unemployment aside, Columbus has for well over a year now recovered all of its jobs lost in the recession. Detroit is dead last in that category. I don't care how well the auto industry is doing today, Detroit/Michigan lost so much in that regard that it is hard to come back to its peak. Not to mention Detroit and Michigan still heavily rely on the auto industry. Just look at non-farm % growth in employment: Ohio is doing better than Michigan on top of having an unemployment rate at 4.8% compared to Michigan's 6.3% Unemployment rates are always hard to describe the entire picture, so when you have a growing labor force with a declining unemployment rate, that usually means things are looking up. Because of Columbus' diverse economy compared to Detroit's, I would feel much better about job prospects in Columbus.

No one is getting emotional; this is an internet forum. It's being matter of fact. You sound a little testy. You're talking a matter of size, but there's much more to it than that. You will not admit to that because it would go against what you're trying to say, but Columbus offers great amenities for just about everyone. If you want a city with a good quality of life, parks/recreational opportunities, diverse and educated population, a diverse economy, etc, Columbus easily fits the bill. You can tell me how great Detroit's institutions are (almost going bankrupt and selling art sounds shaky to me), but I can come up with a rebuttal to why the Columbus is better than Detroit. Round and round we go.
Not testy. I stated that the OP would have to go elsewhere than Columbus to find more amenities than what Metro Detroit has to offer. I'm not knocking down Columbus. I think that Dubai has nicer buildings than Columbus, does that mean I am knocking down Columbus? Facts are facts.

Anyway, you can think that Columbus area has more to offer in restaurants, arts, theater, entertainment, housing, festivals, shopping, etc than Metro Detroit. You ability to engage in analytic reasoning is quite disturbing. I did not imply that Columbus does not have attractions, nor did I imply that Columbus is not a good city to live in.

Oh, and last I checked, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Traverse City, and the entire Upper Peninsula do not rely on the auto industry. Even Oakland County has diversified its economy.

And yes the Hocking Hills are just majestic. Just if Michigan could have such breathtaking views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,791 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Reputation: 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
You put together some really good data (or found it) a while back. I really enjoyed you quieting those NC posters showing Ohio actually imports residents from NC instead of sending out more.
Southerners tend to freak out in general when some of their illusions are shattered. The absolute worst, though, are Northern transplants to the South. If you're not congratulating them on their decision to move or question what makes the South attractive, they become extremely defensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Dublin, OH
2,359 posts, read 3,304,509 times
Reputation: 1466
Detroit has amenities???

Could have fooled me...that city is not coming back....it's too far gone. Does it even have 500K people in it anymore?

Get the heck out of the Detroit...Columbus has far more going for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2015, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 546,213 times
Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Not testy. I stated that the OP would have to go elsewhere than Columbus to find more amenities than what Metro Detroit has to offer. I'm not knocking down Columbus. I think that Dubai has nicer buildings than Columbus, does that mean I am knocking down Columbus? Facts are facts.

Anyway, you can think that Columbus area has more to offer in restaurants, arts, theater, entertainment, housing, festivals, shopping, etc than Metro Detroit. You ability to engage in analytic reasoning is quite disturbing. I did not imply that Columbus does not have attractions, nor did I imply that Columbus is not a good city to live in.

Oh, and last I checked, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Traverse City, and the entire Upper Peninsula do not rely on the auto industry. Even Oakland County has diversified its economy.

And yes the Hocking Hills are just majestic. Just if Michigan could have such breathtaking views.
But the OP is looking to LEAVE Metro Detroit. It doesn't matter what you think of Dubai's buildings; I am telling you that the OP can find just as good, if not better quality of living in Columbus over Detroit. I can mention many more lively neighborhoods in Columbus over Detroit, a better job market, a more diverse economy, etc. All you want to talk about it size and the cultural amenities. Facts are facts, you're right. But all you're mentioning is your opinion. We have provided facts to why Columbus is better than Detroit.

My "analytic reasoning?" You're really grasping hard here to prove your point while trying to put me down personally. Seems like this is really bothering you. You also seem to have issues understanding what this thread is about. Your name says it all. You obviously have a problem with Ohio, and god forbid more Michiganders want to move here. Want to continue, because it is always fun to debate with people like yourself who think they know it all and have issues with a place because they see them as a competitor.

That's great, but I lived in Lansing and Okemos for 4 years, and if you think Lansing and MICHIGAN AS A WHOLE does not depend on the auto industry for a large percentage of its economy, then you're delusional.

Who ever said Michigan didn't have great views? I prefer Ohio, and my opportunities are much greater here. You're implying stuff now. I will tell you what I don't miss about Michigan: Horrible government, bombed-out cities, horrible infrastructure, and getting my car keyed because I was from Ohio and it was a Honda.

Oh Michigan, such a wonder! Work for the Michigan Chamber of Commerce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2015, 10:55 AM
 
1,422 posts, read 1,363,970 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
But the OP is looking to LEAVE Metro Detroit. It doesn't matter what you think of Dubai's buildings; I am telling you that the OP can find just as good, if not better quality of living in Columbus over Detroit. I can mention many more lively neighborhoods in Columbus over Detroit, a better job market, a more diverse economy, etc. All you want to talk about it size and the cultural amenities. Facts are facts, you're right. But all you're mentioning is your opinion. We have provided facts to why Columbus is better than Detroit.

My "analytic reasoning?" You're really grasping hard here to prove your point while trying to put me down personally. Seems like this is really bothering you. You also seem to have issues understanding what this thread is about. Your name says it all. You obviously have a problem with Ohio, and god forbid more Michiganders want to move here. Want to continue, because it is always fun to debate with people like yourself who think they know it all and have issues with a place because they see them as a competitor.

That's great, but I lived in Lansing and Okemos for 4 years, and if you think Lansing and MICHIGAN AS A WHOLE does not depend on the auto industry for a large percentage of its economy, then you're delusional.

Who ever said Michigan didn't have great views? I prefer Ohio, and my opportunities are much greater here. You're implying stuff now. I will tell you what I don't miss about Michigan: Horrible government, bombed-out cities, horrible infrastructure, and getting my car keyed because I was from Ohio and it was a Honda.

Oh Michigan, such a wonder! Work for the Michigan Chamber of Commerce?
Let's look at the original posting by the OP.

The OP states "I've looked through reviews of what the residents of Columbus have said in multiple sites, and a lot are rather bad. Specifically, there's "nothing to do", the "people have terrible attitudes", and the "there's high crime". None of the postees ever mentioned that they used to live in Detroit, however, and they are comparing to cities such as NY, Chicago, Ann Arbor, Myrtle Beach, Miami, which NONE of these cities can even possibly compare to Detroit! Again... coming from Detroit... how "bad" really is the crime? How "terrible" are the attitudes really around Columbus? And is there really, "nothing to do"?"


The OP is stating that crime is so bad in Detroit and the OP is talking about people from Chicago, Ann Arbor, NY comparing their cities to Columbus and coming up with the final contention that there is not anything to do in Columbus. The OP states that nobody who has talked about Columbus used to live in Detroit.

So, I come along and say that I have lived in Columbus and Cleveland, and Metropolitan Detroit. I addressed the crime isssue stating that crime is not bad in the suburbs of Detroit.

Then I addressed the OP's concerns about nothing to do in Columbus. The OP stated that many people who have mentioned that there is nothing to do in Columbus are from cities like New York, Chicago, and Ann Arbor. Thus, the OP opines that they may have formed this opinion based on the fact that are from dynamic cities and it would logically appear that they may feel that ther is nothing to do in Columbus. The OP then states that these people stating that there is nothing to do in Columbus are not from Detroit. In other words, they are not people who are in the same shoes as the OP to compare Detroit with Columbus. So as a person from Metro Detroit who has lived in Columbus, I can make the comparison. I merely stated that if the OP wants more amenities than Metro Detroit, the OP should go elsewhere than Columbus.

That being said, I never stated Columbus does not have amenities. I never stated that Columbus could not be a great city to live in and the OP would have an enjoyable time. I don't look at Columbus as a competitor. Hell, I meet so many people from there when they vacation at all the beach towns in Michigan during the summer. It seems that you have some real issues with Michigan. If you read your posts, your posts bash Michigan. I do not bash Ohio, although I had some really bad experiences there myself. Look at all the negative things you say about the state. And with regard to your comment about Michigan's bombed out cities, yes Flint and Detroit have problems. But go to Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo and look at the sheer number of people walking downtown. You stated that you lived in Michigan for four years, I wonder if you ever made it to Grand Traverse Bay and the Upper Peninsula. But I am glad you like Ohio's metro parks and Hocking Hills. I like the Sandusky area.

Last edited by Republic of Michigan; 02-26-2015 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2015, 03:02 PM
 
1,422 posts, read 1,363,970 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Detroit has amenities???

Could have fooled me...that city is not coming back....it's too far gone. Does it even have 500K people in it anymore?

Get the heck out of the Detroit...Columbus has far more going for it.

Detroit has more than 500k. If you combine the populations of Cincinatti and Cleveland, it would be around the same size of Detroit.

And as far as amenities in the Metropolitan areas, I meant a number of things. Restuartants, sports, shopping, etc. For example, let's suppose you wanted to do something like go to Neiman Marcus, Gucci, or some other high end store. Or, let's say you want to take your boat out. Anyway, it's great that you like Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2015, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,791 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Reputation: 5454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Let's look at the original posting by the OP.

The OP states "I've looked through reviews of what the residents of Columbus have said in multiple sites, and a lot are rather bad. Specifically, there's "nothing to do", the "people have terrible attitudes", and the "there's high crime". None of the postees ever mentioned that they used to live in Detroit, however, and they are comparing to cities such as NY, Chicago, Ann Arbor, Myrtle Beach, Miami, which NONE of these cities can even possibly compare to Detroit! Again... coming from Detroit... how "bad" really is the crime? How "terrible" are the attitudes really around Columbus? And is there really, "nothing to do"?"


The OP is stating that crime is so bad in Detroit and the OP is talking about people from Chicago, Ann Arbor, NY comparing their cities to Columbus and coming up with the final contention that there is not anything to do in Columbus. The OP states that nobody who has talked about Columbus used to live in Detroit.

So, I come along and say that I have lived in Columbus and Cleveland, and Metropolitan Detroit. I addressed the crime isssue stating that crime is not bad in the suburbs of Detroit.

Then I addressed the OP's concerns about nothing to do in Columbus. The OP stated that many people who have mentioned that there is nothing to do in Columbus are from cities like New York, Chicago, and Ann Arbor. Thus, the OP opines that they may have formed this opinion based on the fact that are from dynamic cities and it would logically appear that they may feel that ther is nothing to do in Columbus. The OP then states that these people stating that there is nothing to do in Columbus are not from Detroit. In other words, they are not people who are in the same shoes as the OP to compare Detroit with Columbus. So as a person from Metro Detroit who has lived in Columbus, I can make the comparison. I merely stated that if the OP wants more amenities than Metro Detroit, the OP should go elsewhere than Columbus.

That being said, I never stated Columbus does not have amenities. I never stated that Columbus could not be a great city to live in and the OP would have an enjoyable time. I don't look at Columbus as a competitor. Hell, I meet so many people from there when they vacation at all the beach towns in Michigan during the summer. It seems that you have some real issues with Michigan. If you read your posts, your posts bash Michigan. I do not bash Ohio, although I had some really bad experiences there myself. Look at all the negative things you say about the state. And with regard to your comment about Michigan's bombed out cities, yes Flint and Detroit have problems. But go to Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo and look at the sheer number of people walking downtown. You stated that you lived in Michigan for four years, I wonder if you ever made it to Grand Traverse Bay and the Upper Peninsula. But I am glad you like Ohio's metro parks and Hocking Hills. I like the Sandusky area.
Ann Arbor being compared to NYC/Chicago in any way is just completely ridiculous. It's a small town that would barely exist without UM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
11,799 posts, read 9,729,450 times
Reputation: 10799
Detroit has one of the largest metro areas in the country. If you guys want to argue about what's happening within actual city borders, go ahead, but metro-wise there's no comparison between what Detroit has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top