U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2015, 02:42 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
444 posts, read 659,084 times
Reputation: 542

Advertisements

Some of you posted data on my posting, and I see reference to southerners here. I imagine it is to some other poster because I am not a southerner. I made the mistake of coming to North Carolina 12 years ago, but the fact that I am physically living in North Carolina doesn't make me a southerner. I am a native Floridian by birth (born in Miami), so technically Florida is in the south; however, where I come from is definitely not the south.

Continue your discussion about Detroit vs. Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2015, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Some of you posted data on my posting, and I see reference to southerners here. I imagine it is to some other poster because I am not a southerner. I made the mistake of coming to North Carolina 12 years ago, but the fact that I am physically living in North Carolina doesn't make me a southerner. I am a native Floridian by birth (born in Miami), so technically Florida is in the south; however, where I come from is definitely not the south.

Continue your discussion about Detroit vs. Columbus.
The southern half of Florida doesn't feel Southern culturally, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Detroit has one of the largest metro areas in the country. If you guys want to argue about what's happening within actual city borders, go ahead, but metro-wise there's no comparison between what Detroit has to offer.
Except that most of the amenities people usually reference are IN the city itself. Every city has sprawling suburbs, nice or not. Having more suburbs is not exactly an amenity to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 547,104 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Let's look at the original posting by the OP.

The OP states "I've looked through reviews of what the residents of Columbus have said in multiple sites, and a lot are rather bad. Specifically, there's "nothing to do", the "people have terrible attitudes", and the "there's high crime". None of the postees ever mentioned that they used to live in Detroit, however, and they are comparing to cities such as NY, Chicago, Ann Arbor, Myrtle Beach, Miami, which NONE of these cities can even possibly compare to Detroit! Again... coming from Detroit... how "bad" really is the crime? How "terrible" are the attitudes really around Columbus? And is there really, "nothing to do"?"


The OP is stating that crime is so bad in Detroit and the OP is talking about people from Chicago, Ann Arbor, NY comparing their cities to Columbus and coming up with the final contention that there is not anything to do in Columbus. The OP states that nobody who has talked about Columbus used to live in Detroit.

So, I come along and say that I have lived in Columbus and Cleveland, and Metropolitan Detroit. I addressed the crime isssue stating that crime is not bad in the suburbs of Detroit.

Then I addressed the OP's concerns about nothing to do in Columbus. The OP stated that many people who have mentioned that there is nothing to do in Columbus are from cities like New York, Chicago, and Ann Arbor. Thus, the OP opines that they may have formed this opinion based on the fact that are from dynamic cities and it would logically appear that they may feel that ther is nothing to do in Columbus. The OP then states that these people stating that there is nothing to do in Columbus are not from Detroit. In other words, they are not people who are in the same shoes as the OP to compare Detroit with Columbus. So as a person from Metro Detroit who has lived in Columbus, I can make the comparison. I merely stated that if the OP wants more amenities than Metro Detroit, the OP should go elsewhere than Columbus.

That being said, I never stated Columbus does not have amenities. I never stated that Columbus could not be a great city to live in and the OP would have an enjoyable time. I don't look at Columbus as a competitor. Hell, I meet so many people from there when they vacation at all the beach towns in Michigan during the summer. It seems that you have some real issues with Michigan. If you read your posts, your posts bash Michigan. I do not bash Ohio, although I had some really bad experiences there myself. Look at all the negative things you say about the state. And with regard to your comment about Michigan's bombed out cities, yes Flint and Detroit have problems. But go to Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo and look at the sheer number of people walking downtown. You stated that you lived in Michigan for four years, I wonder if you ever made it to Grand Traverse Bay and the Upper Peninsula. But I am glad you like Ohio's metro parks and Hocking Hills. I like the Sandusky area.

The OP never got into serious discussion about city versus metro area; you decided to go there and essentially stated that just because Detroit was bigger meant that it is somehow better . The OP also came in asking questions as they were truly interested in the city of Columbus. How you figured out what their final opinion was is beyond me. In the end though, you were throwing around your opinion as if it were fact. If you truly have lived in Columbus over Detroit you would know that there are many more vibrant and active neighborhoods in Columbus, a more diverse economy, and a youthful and growing population. It doesn't just take sitting at home researching it or going on Google Streetview to see that. Again, the OP does NOT need to go elsewhere over Columbus to have what you can get in Detroit.

I thought I remembered you from the way you went about wording things like you do. You spent some time in the Ohio forum actually going out of your way to promote Michigan while putting Ohio down in threads you created. You have issues with Ohio and I don't quite get it. I don't have a problem with Michigan, it's just posters like yourself acting like you're more superior than Ohio and coming to act as the local tourism group. I have a lot of friends in NE Ohio from Michigan (Detroit specifically) and the tourists you see all the time here, and they can even be quite annoying when it comes to the whole Michigan thing, even though they admit their life is better down here than it was there. I can honestly say I have no interests in Michigan because my experiences were so bad there, so checking the Michigan forum isn't on my priority list.

Again, your little undertones towards Ohio's parks and recreational options are snarky and this is what made me remember exactly how you went about posting towards Ohio in the past. Yes, I have been to Traverse City a couple of times and the UP once. I am somehow suppose to change my attitude towards how you have treated Ohio now because of that? Or is that part of your chamber job?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Detroit has more than 500k. If you combine the populations of Cincinatti and Cleveland, it would be around the same size of Detroit.

And as far as amenities in the Metropolitan areas, I meant a number of things. Restuartants, sports, shopping, etc. For example, let's suppose you wanted to do something like go to Neiman Marcus, Gucci, or some other high end store. Or, let's say you want to take your boat out. Anyway, it's great that you like Columbus.
Think of how big Detroit grew to be. Key word there is grew. Now you're not that much larger than Cleveland or Cincinnati like once before. Again, Cincinnati and Cleveland's neighborhoods blow Detroit's out of the water. Cleveland's cultural institutions are far better than Detroit's, and there is a reason Detroit development officials have come to Cleveland to see how new development has established growth in the city. If you have been to both Cleveland and Detroit's cultural attractions you can see that Cleveland is of higher caliber and actually growing. Not to mention you can be in Playhouse Square or University Circle which Detroit has no equivalent of. Between light and heavy rail, established inner ring suburbs by rail, a national park, metro parks, and Lake Erie, Cleveland has Detroit beat; I don't care about how big a place is, that doesn't mean quality of life is better. Take in the views from Mount Adams in Cincinnati or stroll the miles of riverfront parks, and then take in the architecture of OTR and Pendleton and tell me what Detroit neighborhood has architecture like that.

You can take your boat out in Columbus. You lived there, you should know this. Anyway, it's great that you like Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 PM
 
1,422 posts, read 1,367,366 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
The OP never got into serious discussion about city versus metro area; you decided to go there and essentially stated that just because Detroit was bigger meant that it is somehow better . The OP also came in asking questions as they were truly interested in the city of Columbus. How you figured out what their final opinion was is beyond me. In the end though, you were throwing around your opinion as if it were fact. If you truly have lived in Columbus over Detroit you would know that there are many more vibrant and active neighborhoods in Columbus, a more diverse economy, and a youthful and growing population. It doesn't just take sitting at home researching it or going on Google Streetview to see that. Again, the OP does NOT need to go elsewhere over Columbus to have what you can get in Detroit.

I thought I remembered you from the way you went about wording things like you do. You spent some time in the Ohio forum actually going out of your way to promote Michigan while putting Ohio down in threads you created. You have issues with Ohio and I don't quite get it. I don't have a problem with Michigan, it's just posters like yourself acting like you're more superior than Ohio and coming to act as the local tourism group. I have a lot of friends in NE Ohio from Michigan (Detroit specifically) and the tourists you see all the time here, and they can even be quite annoying when it comes to the whole Michigan thing, even though they admit their life is better down here than it was there. I can honestly say I have no interests in Michigan because my experiences were so bad there, so checking the Michigan forum isn't on my priority list.

Again, your little undertones towards Ohio's parks and recreational options are snarky and this is what made me remember exactly how you went about posting towards Ohio in the past. Yes, I have been to Traverse City a couple of times and the UP once. I am somehow suppose to change my attitude towards how you have treated Ohio now because of that? Or is that part of your chamber job?




Think of how big Detroit grew to be. Key word there is grew. Now you're not that much larger than Cleveland or Cincinnati like once before. Again, Cincinnati and Cleveland's neighborhoods blow Detroit's out of the water. Cleveland's cultural institutions are far better than Detroit's, and there is a reason Detroit development officials have come to Cleveland to see how new development has established growth in the city. If you have been to both Cleveland and Detroit's cultural attractions you can see that Cleveland is of higher caliber and actually growing. Not to mention you can be in Playhouse Square or University Circle which Detroit has no equivalent of. Between light and heavy rail, established inner ring suburbs by rail, a national park, metro parks, and Lake Erie, Cleveland has Detroit beat; I don't care about how big a place is, that doesn't mean quality of life is better. Take in the views from Mount Adams in Cincinnati or stroll the miles of riverfront parks, and then take in the architecture of OTR and Pendleton and tell me what Detroit neighborhood has architecture like that.

You can take your boat out in Columbus. You lived there, you should know this. Anyway, it's great that you like Detroit.
Bla..bla..bla..bla. Or should I say hahahahahaha.

It's amazing I have to explain everything to you. A poster made a snide comment asking "are there still 500,000 people in Detroit?" So I responded, go combine Cleveland and Cincinnati and you will get to the population of Detroit. Did I touch a bad nerve? What is wrong with my response? Or should I not have responded to that snide comment.

Second, your opinion that Detroit does not have an equivalent of Playhouse Square or University Circle is wrong. There are a lot of venues. By the way a lot of cities claim to have the second best theatre district outside of New York. Read this: Performing arts in Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also, Midtown Detroit has a lot of cultural institutions, Wayne State University, and restuarants. It's actually more of an urban pedestrian area than University Circle. Although it is great that they are creating an "Uptown Cleveland there now." Yes, Uptown Cleveland with LITTLE Italy and Conventry make that area near East Cleveland pleasant.

Metro Detroit has metro parks..in fact go check out Belle Isle and Metro Beach. There is also Kensington Park. Plus the suburbs are inundated with lakes after lakes. Look at Waterford and the West Bloomfield area. But nothing beats Lake Michigan's shores, so I don't get so worked out about all the metro parks in the area. Granted, you can't drive there all the time, so Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair are great. There is a place called Harsen's Island, its just outside of Detroit. Kind of like your put in the whatever its called by Cedar Point, except a little bigger.

Anyway, I'm glad you can order online from some stores that would require you to go across state lines.

In terms of architecture and Cincinnati, I love that city. I like the hills and I have been to Pendleton. I also like Convington a lot. Detroit has some nice neighborhoods too. Boston-Edison, Sherwood Forest, Palmer Park, Rosedale Park and a few more. Kind of like Shaker Heights. There is Corktown but I am not so found of the architecture there.

Columbus is a fine city but if the OP is looking to encounter more amenities than what Metro Detroit has to offer, the OP should go elsewhere. Perhaps the OP also likes to order online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 547,104 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Bla..bla..bla..bla. Or should I say hahahahahaha.

It's amazing I have to explain everything to you. A poster made a snide comment asking "are there still 500,000 people in Detroit?" So I responded, go combine Cleveland and Cincinnati and you will get to the population of Detroit. Did I touch a bad nerve? What is wrong with my response? Or should I not have responded to that snide comment.

Second, your opinion that Detroit does not have an equivalent of Playhouse Square or University Circle is wrong. There are a lot of venues. By the way a lot of cities claim to have the second best theatre district outside of New York. Read this: Performing arts in Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also, Midtown Detroit has a lot of cultural institutions, Wayne State University, and restuarants. It's actually more of an urban pedestrian area than University Circle. Although it is great that they are creating an "Uptown Cleveland there now." Yes, Uptown Cleveland with LITTLE Italy and Conventry make that area near East Cleveland pleasant.

Metro Detroit has metro parks..in fact go check out Belle Isle and Metro Beach. There is also Kensington Park. Plus the suburbs are inundated with lakes after lakes. Look at Waterford and the West Bloomfield area. But nothing beats Lake Michigan's shores, so I don't get so worked out about all the metro parks in the area. Granted, you can't drive there all the time, so Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair are great. There is a place called Harsen's Island, its just outside of Detroit. Kind of like your put in the whatever its called by Cedar Point, except a little bigger.

Anyway, I'm glad you can order online from some stores that would require you to go across state lines.

In terms of architecture and Cincinnati, I love that city. I like the hills and I have been to Pendleton. I also like Convington a lot. Detroit has some nice neighborhoods too. Boston-Edison, Sherwood Forest, Palmer Park, Rosedale Park and a few more. Kind of like Shaker Heights. There is Corktown but I am not so found of the architecture there.

Columbus is a fine city but if the OP is looking to encounter more amenities than what Metro Detroit has to offer, the OP should go elsewhere. Perhaps the OP also likes to order online.

How old are you? "bla....bla....bla....bla" There is an intelligent response.

You don't have to explain anything to me. Your postings just reek of pride towards Michigan, and while you continue to bash Ohio, don't expect people to sit back and let you do it. So, I will explain everything to you. Let's continue.

You get more and more upset with my postings. It really irks you, doesn't it? You responded to a snide comment and made one of your own. Expect a response back. The fact of the matter is Detroit was such a huge city to begin with and has lost so much. Now, because it has lost so many people, it is not near as large over Cleveland and Cincinnati as it once was. Both Cincinnati and Cleveland have more active neighborhoods over Detroit because they didn't destroy their neighborhoods like the level Detroit has.

I don't care who claims what over theater districts. The fact is, Detroit doesn't have the likes of Playhouse Square all set into one distinct neighborhood downtown with that many theater within walking distance. And if you honestly think Midtown can compete with University Circle... you're an even bigger homer than I thought. Compare Wayne State to Case Western, or the walkability around UC and Little Italy to Detroit's wide-lane streets that are dominated by the car. Midtown just doesn't have the amenities to attract the pedestrian traffic that you see in UC. It actually takes having been to both to know this.

"Put in the whatever?" I thought you liked the area around Sandusk?. You know nothing about Ohio, and the more you post, the more you prove my point. Keep enjoying those bombed-out cities in Michigan. I can play this game, too.

No one from Columbus, Cleveland, or Cincinnati goes out of their way to go to Detroit for their shopping. You can still get high-end stores in Ohio. Again, you're really just grasping desperately for something to prove your point. On top of that, why worry about having to get your struts replaced by going on some shopping trip to Michigan?

I see a hell of a lot more Michigan cars in Ohio than the other way around. It also speaks volumes of the amount of Michiganders moving to Ohio versus the other way around.

Again, it's obvious you're not quite getting this, but the OP doesn't need to go someplace other than Columbus to get the same amenities as you do in Detroit. You claim I am throwing around my opinion on Detroit and Michigan, but that is exactly what you're doing with Detroit's vs. Columbus' amenities. If they want a youthful and growing city, with much better economy and vibrant neighborhoods, you should take Columbus every day of the week. It really bothers you another Detroit resident is looking to leave for Columbus.

Do you like to spend a lot of time online? I actually try to get out and see the world. Jobs are also important to some of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,793 posts, read 12,788,161 times
Reputation: 5466
I would really not be surprised to see that Detroit has lost another 100K-200K people by 2020. A few places around the immediate Downtown may see some recovery, but the problems that have caused so much of the population hemorrhaging are still around: Blight, crime, corruption, lack of basic services, poor infrastructure, poor schools... and now bankruptcy.

The suburbs may be a different story, but the city itself, imo, is too far gone at this point. The best that can be hoped for is finding some stability, similar to Pittsburgh, but Detroit doesn't have any of Pittsburgh's strengths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 03:47 PM
 
1,422 posts, read 1,367,366 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
How old are you? "bla....bla....bla....bla" There is an intelligent response.

You don't have to explain anything to me. Your postings just reek of pride towards Michigan, and while you continue to bash Ohio, don't expect people to sit back and let you do it. So, I will explain everything to you. Let's continue.

You get more and more upset with my postings. It really irks you, doesn't it? You responded to a snide comment and made one of your own. Expect a response back. The fact of the matter is Detroit was such a huge city to begin with and has lost so much. Now, because it has lost so many people, it is not near as large over Cleveland and Cincinnati as it once was. Both Cincinnati and Cleveland have more active neighborhoods over Detroit because they didn't destroy their neighborhoods like the level Detroit has.

I don't care who claims what over theater districts. The fact is, Detroit doesn't have the likes of Playhouse Square all set into one distinct neighborhood downtown with that many theater within walking distance. And if you honestly think Midtown can compete with University Circle... you're an even bigger homer than I thought. Compare Wayne State to Case Western, or the walkability around UC and Little Italy to Detroit's wide-lane streets that are dominated by the car. Midtown just doesn't have the amenities to attract the pedestrian traffic that you see in UC. It actually takes having been to both to know this.

"Put in the whatever?" I thought you liked the area around Sandusk?. You know nothing about Ohio, and the more you post, the more you prove my point. Keep enjoying those bombed-out cities in Michigan. I can play this game, too.

No one from Columbus, Cleveland, or Cincinnati goes out of their way to go to Detroit for their shopping. You can still get high-end stores in Ohio. Again, you're really just grasping desperately for something to prove your point. On top of that, why worry about having to get your struts replaced by going on some shopping trip to Michigan?

I see a hell of a lot more Michigan cars in Ohio than the other way around. It also speaks volumes of the amount of Michiganders moving to Ohio versus the other way around.

Again, it's obvious you're not quite getting this, but the OP doesn't need to go someplace other than Columbus to get the same amenities as you do in Detroit. You claim I am throwing around my opinion on Detroit and Michigan, but that is exactly what you're doing with Detroit's vs. Columbus' amenities. If they want a youthful and growing city, with much better economy and vibrant neighborhoods, you should take Columbus every day of the week. It really bothers you another Detroit resident is looking to leave for Columbus.

Do you like to spend a lot of time online? I actually try to get out and see the world. Jobs are also important to some of us.
Sorry I forgot the "Put in whatever" term, its just not a place that I remember. I think I got the first word correct. But I certainly know Sandusky.

Secondly, my response to the snarky comment about whether Detroit even had 500,000 people was "combine Cleveland and Cincinnati, and Detroit is that same size." Did my response sting because its the truth? And you act as if Cleveland is this growing Mecca. Last I checked, that wasn't the case.

Third, Midtown Detroit does not have wide streets. There is Woodward, the main thoroughfare, and its about the same size as Euclid.

Fourth, University Circle is walkable?????? It looks like a corporate parkway with museums and Case's law school and business school. Midtown isn't as walkable like Ford Blvd and East Blvd in University Circle? Again, should I say bla bla bla or ha ha ha? You must not be familiar with Midtown nor the nightlife there. UC reminds me a bit like Belle Isle.

Fifth, Playhouse Square. Yes it is nice with 9 theatres in walking distance to each other. I guess you can walk from show to show. You are not familiar with Detroit's performing arts venues to say that the city does not have anything equivalent to it. And yes, they are in walking distance. Performing arts in Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sixth, I am originally from Los Angeles. I could care less if someone wishes to leave the Detroit area. You are the one who started with me because you didn't like my statement that the OP should look elsewhere than Columbus if searching for more amenities which Metro Detroit offers.

Lastly, I have nothing against Ohio or Columbus. I lived 4 years of my life there. We can agree to disagree what area has more restaurants, bars, sports teams, shopping, culture, etc. So I am not trying to convince you, and no need for you to try to convince me. And I will be driving from Michigan to visit DC. So, you might see another Michigan Plate soon.

Last edited by Republic of Michigan; 03-05-2015 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2015, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Dublin, OH
2,359 posts, read 3,308,669 times
Reputation: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Detroit has one of the largest metro areas in the country. If you guys want to argue about what's happening within actual city borders, go ahead, but metro-wise there's no comparison between what Detroit has to offer.

Where you making these stats up from...they used to have 1.5 million or more...they have less than half that now...and are still falling.

Detroit is a dump...nobody wants to live there anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2015, 09:25 AM
 
1,422 posts, read 1,367,366 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Where you making these stats up from...they used to have 1.5 million or more...they have less than half that now...and are still falling.

Detroit is a dump...nobody wants to live there anymore.
Detroit is the center of a three-county Urban Area (population 3,734,090, area of 1,337 square miles, a 2010 United States Census) six-county Metropolitan Statistical Area (2010 Census population of 4,296,250, area of 3,913 square miles, and a nine-county Combined Statistical Area (2010 Census population of 5,218,852, area of 5,814 square miles. The Detroit–Windsor area, a commercial link straddling the Canada–U.S. border, has a total population of about 5,700,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top