U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2015, 10:23 AM
 
Location: livin' the good life
2,118 posts, read 3,542,860 times
Reputation: 1212

Advertisements

I lived in Dublin for 5 years.I really like some of the suburbs of Detroit, really like Birmingham. If I had to choose between living in suburb of Detroit or Columbus, I would choose Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2015, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 546,539 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Sorry I forgot the "Put in whatever" term, its just not a place that I remember. I think I got the first word correct. But I certainly know Sandusky.

Secondly, my response to the snarky comment about whether Detroit even had 500,000 people was "combine Cleveland and Cincinnati, and Detroit is that same size." Did my response sting because its the truth? And you act as if Cleveland is this growing Mecca. Last I checked, that wasn't the case.

Third, Midtown Detroit does not have wide streets. There is Woodward, the main thoroughfare, and its about the same size as Euclid.

Fourth, University Circle is walkable?????? It looks like a corporate parkway with museums and Case's law school and business school. Midtown isn't as walkable like Ford Blvd and East Blvd in University Circle? Again, should I say bla bla bla or ha ha ha? You must not be familiar with Midtown nor the nightlife there. UC reminds me a bit like Belle Isle.

Fifth, Playhouse Square. Yes it is nice with 9 theatres in walking distance to each other. I guess you can walk from show to show. You are not familiar with Detroit's performing arts venues to say that the city does not have anything equivalent to it. And yes, they are in walking distance. Performing arts in Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sixth, I am originally from Los Angeles. I could care less if someone wishes to leave the Detroit area. You are the one who started with me because you didn't like my statement that the OP should look elsewhere than Columbus if searching for more amenities which Metro Detroit offers.

Lastly, I have nothing against Ohio or Columbus. I lived 4 years of my life there. We can agree to disagree what area has more restaurants, bars, sports teams, shopping, culture, etc. So I am not trying to convince you, and no need for you to try to convince me. And I will be driving from Michigan to visit DC. So, you might see another Michigan Plate soon.
"Put in whatever" was a snarky comment, nice try.

Nothing about your comment "stung." The fact is Detroit proper (you like to avoid the city proper because Detroit is doing horribly in that regard) is not near as large over Cleveland and Cincinnati that is use to be is quite evident. Cleveland is doing a hell of a lot better than Detroit. I never once said Cleveland was a growing mecca, but compared to Detroit it is growing in more places than just downtown and is far more economically diverse.

UC blows Midtown out of the water when it comes to walkability. Walk around Wade Lagoon and you have more walkablility there than all of Midtown. You have never even been to UC judging by the way you talk about the place. Midtown has Woodward Avenue and its 10 lanes for cars and nothing else east or west a few blocks but urban blight. All you really do is say "bla bla bla or ha ha ha" because none of what you say makes any sense except in your own mind. Your opinion doesn't equate to fact whether you want to believe it or not.

Detroit has nothing to compare to Playhouse Square. It is obvious you are a Detroit and Michigan homer, but to even compare anything theater wise in Detroit to Playhouse Square is laughable. "ha ha ha"! Read all my posts through, I am not saying Detroit doesn't have theaters or good ones at that, but they don't have a district with the vitality that Playhouse Square has.

I really don't care where you're from. That doesn't change what you said originally. I never started anything with you, I was just matter of fact and called you out. You didn't like it. I will continue, too.

Again, you never convinced me on anything. I have stated over and over again that you were implying your opinion and nothing more than that. It obviously struck a nerve with you when the poster compared the two cities because you came in here posting something and others commented. You didn't like it so you felt this need to go on some chamber of commerce-type speech on why Detroit is the end all be all.

I actually am out of state, so your Michigan plate will just blend in with the others. Due to you having some weird issue with the state of Ohio, you should probably just take the long way and skip the entire state together. I believe I told you that one time before, too. Go through Indiana, Kentucky, and then head eastward. God forbid you have to drive through Ohio with the problems you have with the state.

Enjoy that DC trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2015, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 546,539 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I lived in Dublin for 5 years.I really like some of the suburbs of Detroit, really like Birmingham. If I had to choose between living in suburb of Detroit or Columbus, I would choose Detroit.
Certainly better than anything Charlotte has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 10:02 AM
 
Location: livin' the good life
2,118 posts, read 3,542,860 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Certainly better than anything Charlotte has to offer.
You are dead on. Actually if I moved to Midwest I would much prefer living in the Youngstown area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2015, 01:33 PM
 
1,046 posts, read 1,143,913 times
Reputation: 481
I hear so many people from Cleveland say "oh yeah, well.... at least we are not as bad as Detroit"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 06:29 PM
 
1,422 posts, read 1,365,184 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
"Put in whatever" was a snarky comment, nice try.

Nothing about your comment "stung." The fact is Detroit proper (you like to avoid the city proper because Detroit is doing horribly in that regard) is not near as large over Cleveland and Cincinnati that is use to be is quite evident. Cleveland is doing a hell of a lot better than Detroit. I never once said Cleveland was a growing mecca, but compared to Detroit it is growing in more places than just downtown and is far more economically diverse.

WRONG: I'm confused with your logic. Someone asked if Detroit even had 500,000 people, and I said "combine the populations of Cleveland and Cincinnati and its around the same size as Detroit proper." And your rebuttal is?????


UC blows Midtown out of the water when it comes to walkability. Walk around Wade Lagoon and you have more walkablility there than all of Midtown. You have never even been to UC judging by the way you talk about the place. Midtown has Woodward Avenue and its 10 lanes for cars and nothing else east or west a few blocks but urban blight. All you really do is say "bla bla bla or ha ha ha" because none of what you say makes any sense except in your own mind. Your opinion doesn't equate to fact whether you want to believe it or not.

WRONG: UC looks like a corporate parkway except now they built panera bread on Euclid. Woodward is 4 lanes with a center lane. Just like Euclid. Wayne State University is East, and several museums and hospitals are West of Woodward.


Detroit has nothing to compare to Playhouse Square. It is obvious you are a Detroit and Michigan homer, but to even compare anything theater wise in Detroit to Playhouse Square is laughable. "ha ha ha"! Read all my posts through, I am not saying Detroit doesn't have theaters or good ones at that, but they don't have a district with the vitality that Playhouse Square has.

WRONG: Playhouse square has 9 theaters with 10,000 seats in walking distance...ah...Detroit's Fox Theater, Masonic Temple, and Opera House are all in walking distance. Just these three venues have more seats than all of Playhouse Square. Not to mention there are other venues in walking distance: The Grand Circus Theatre; Broadway Capitol Theatre; Paramount Theatre; Capital Theatre, the Gem Theatre and Century Theatre, Music Hall Center.

In Midtown, there is Hilberry Theatre, the Detroit Institute of Arts, anchored by the 2,089-seat Fisher Theatre in New Center.



I really don't care where you're from. That doesn't change what you said originally. I never started anything with you, I was just matter of fact and called you out. You didn't like it. I will continue, too.

Again, you never convinced me on anything. I have stated over and over again that you were implying your opinion and nothing more than that. It obviously struck a nerve with you when the poster compared the two cities because you came in here posting something and others commented. You didn't like it so you felt this need to go on some chamber of commerce-type speech on why Detroit is the end all be all.

WRONG: The title of this thread is Columbus vs. Detroit, right? So, am I barred from commenting that if the OP wishes to find more amenities than what one can find in Detroit, the OP should go elsewhere than Columbus? How did this simple statement entail your analysis that I said that Detroit is the end all be all? Reread the sequence of posts. My posts are all responses to your defensive knee jerk reactions.

I actually am out of state, so your Michigan plate will just blend in with the others. Due to you having some weird issue with the state of Ohio, you should probably just take the long way and skip the entire state together. I believe I told you that one time before, too. Go through Indiana, Kentucky, and then head eastward. God forbid you have to drive through Ohio with the problems you have with the state.

Enjoy that DC trip!
Wrong: Indiana looks too much like Ohio. I would rather go through Ontario and come down through New York if I were to take a longer route. But, I enjoy the coffee I get when passing through I-90.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 08:23 PM
 
5,319 posts, read 6,626,427 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
You are dead on. Actually if I moved to Midwest I would much prefer living in the Youngstown area
I prefer the Middletown, Ohio area !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 546,539 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
You are dead on. Actually if I moved to Midwest I would much prefer living in the Youngstown area
I figured you would. I couldn't stand Charlotte when I took two trips there my years at MSU minoring in sociology. We studied income inequality in the different city neighborhoods. One of the most overrated cities in the country, especially on here. I would rather take Flint over that place; that's saying something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Mahoning Valley, Ohio
416 posts, read 546,539 times
Reputation: 431
WRONG: I'm confused with your logic. Someone asked if Detroit even had 500,000 people, and I said "combine the populations of Cleveland and Cincinnati and its around the same size as Detroit proper." And your rebuttal is?????

What part are you not understanding here? You mentioned how much larger Detroit proper was, and I am telling you Detroit has fallen so much that it is not nearly as large over Cleveland and Cincinnati as it once was. Detroit was much larger over both cities back in the day, but that population is much closer to both cities today, and the amenities are right on par with a "much larger" city. I don't care what one poster said before, I never once said Detroit does not have 500,000 people. It's getting close to that, though. That was between you and another poster on your tirade in this thread.

WRONG: UC looks like a corporate parkway except now they built panera bread on Euclid. Woodward is 4 lanes with a center lane. Just like Euclid. Wayne State University is East, and several museums and hospitals are West of Woodward.

WRONG. A corporate walkway? Again, you are really grasping for something here. If you talk about UC building a Panera, then look at the cheap suburban mixed-use developments that have gone up on Woodward. UC has built Uptown and MOCA alone in the last few years, something that Midtown should try to emulate. Euclid has bike lanes, two lanes for vehicle traffic, and two dedicated bus lanes for the Healthline with landscaped medians and stops. Woodward is far less traffic-calming and more car-oriented. In my GIS and remote sensing classes at MSU we looked at true-color imagery of Detroit around Midtown. Look east or west of Woodward and you see green. Those are massive parcels of abandoned land and blight. Within walking distance at UC you have Little Italy and a couple Red Line stations, Detroit doesn't even have heavy rail.

WRONG: Playhouse square has 9 theaters with 10,000 seats in walking distance...ah...Detroit's Fox Theater, Masonic Temple, and Opera House are all in walking distance. Just these three venues have more seats than all of Playhouse Square. Not to mention there are other venues in walking distance: The Grand Circus Theatre; Broadway Capitol Theatre; Paramount Theatre; Capital Theatre, the Gem Theatre and Century Theatre, Music Hall Center.

WRONG. Those theaters are within walking distance, but they are not in one combined district with a theater theme with a vital streetlife scene. Let's just keep extending out and adding more theaters that aren't even part of the districts you're talking about.

In Midtown, there is Hilberry Theatre, the Detroit Institute of Arts, anchored by the 2,089-seat Fisher Theatre in New Center.

Right, my point exactly, MIDTOWN.

WRONG: The title of this thread is Columbus vs. Detroit, right? So, am I barred from commenting that if the OP wishes to find more amenities than what one can find in Detroit, the OP should go elsewhere than Columbus? How did this simple statement entail your analysis that I said that Detroit is the end all be all? Reread the sequence of posts. My posts are all responses to your defensive knee jerk reactions.

WRONG. Obviously it is titled Columbus vs. Detroit, that's what caught your attention. I never once said you were barred from any thread, just that you have taken it out of hand because you didn't like the responses of the posters that followed your chamber of commerce speech. You don't go out and say Detroit is the end all, but your undertones and homerism speak volumes. I responded in a matter of fact way my very first post in this thread that obviously bothered you, and it was you who took it to the next level after that post.


I would probably enjoy the smooth roads once you enter Ohio from Michigan, a nice change of what you're used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2015, 09:28 PM
 
Location: livin' the good life
2,118 posts, read 3,542,860 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I figured you would. I couldn't stand Charlotte when I took two trips there my years at MSU minoring in sociology. We studied income inequality in the different city neighborhoods. One of the most overrated cities in the country, especially on here. I would rather take Flint over that place; that's saying something.
So because a certain part of the country continues to see substantial population growth it must be 'overrated' (obviously your opinion is in the minority so it doesn't matter) and another area is dying which, in your mind must be 'under rated' (why the heck would you want to live there). No wonder you favor Flint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top