U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 AM

372 posts, read 592,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Based on info through 2013 and it is estimated. Also, Columbus can add about an instant 66k to its metro for adding Hocking and Perry Counties.

Your use of ''if that's true'' and my use of ''may'' qualify this exchange. My point is that adding two counties adds instant growth to the Columbus metro area.

So, yep, you misunderstood my post.
JB did a very nice job showing that even without adding Hocking and Perry counties, metro Columbus is growing faster (both in terms of population and percentage) than Cincinnati, though Cincinnati is growing as well, which is great. As for metro Cleveland, I wouldn't be surprised if for the first time in several years both the MSA and CSA show slight growth for the 2014 estimates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 AM

12,799 posts, read 12,831,751 times
Quote:
Based on info through 2013 and it is estimated. Also, Columbus can add about an instant 66k to its metro for adding Hocking and Perry Counties.

Your use of ''if that's true'' and my use of ''may'' qualify this exchange. My point is that adding two counties adds instant growth to the Columbus metro area.

So, yep, you misunderstood my post.
So use 2000-2010. The story is exactly the same. Columbus' metro grew at least 2x faster.

No I didn't. You suggested that Columbus' metro growth was artificial due to those two counties being added. You were completely wrong. Accept it and move one.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 AM

416 posts, read 548,535 times
Just so everyone knows, Cleveland doesn't hate on Columbus like many would think. I understand on some urban sites Clevelanders and Columbus residents like to go back-and-forth on who is a better city, but each is very unique which is great for the state. There was a piece from the Plain Dealer today giving high praises to the new Le Meridien that opened up in the Short North:

New Le Meridien hotel in Columbus' Short North is chic, arty -- and expensive: Take a tour (photos) | cleveland.com

(I am sure Cleveland's Le Meridien will be just as expensive, and even though The 9 has received great reviews, it is not exactly cheap, either)

OP,

In my opinion Cleveland is experiencing better urban re-development right now. It has great city neighborhoods that aren't just downtown or University Circle; I prefer Cleveland's suburbs. You have a great metro parks system, museums, food, rail transit, etc, etc. Columbus has great museums, metro park system, food, and a range of neighborhoods to chose from. The in-fill development that is happening in Columbus' core neighborhoods is true quality developments. Ultimately, you will have to make a trip to Columbus because I promise you will find areas that suite you whether it be older neighborhoods with a nice pace of life, or quality restaurants/shopping.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:12 PM

3,389 posts, read 3,724,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
JB did a very nice job showing that even without adding Hocking and Perry counties, metro Columbus is growing faster (both in terms of population and percentage) than Cincinnati, though Cincinnati is growing as well, which is great. As for metro Cleveland, I wouldn't be surprised if for the first time in several years both the MSA and CSA show slight growth for the 2014 estimates.
Columbus may be growing faster in population, but Cincinnati is still Ohio's largest metro and creator of new jobs...

Numerical job growth by MSA (Dec 2013-Dec 2014):

Cincinnati +21,700
Cleveland +12,400
Columbus + 8,300

Percent job growth by MSA (Dec 2013-Dec2014):

Cincinnati +2.1%
Cleveland +1.2%
Columbus +0.8%

Nevertheless, it's probably a good time just to step back and ask if the OP's original questions have been addressed (after all, she was concerned about only two major Ohio cities, not three). Therefore, in fairness to everyone concerned, wouldn't it be best if Cincinnati was dropped from this discussion entirely?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:55 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,317,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So use 2000-2010. The story is exactly the same. Columbus' metro grew at least 2x faster.

No I didn't. You suggested that Columbus' metro growth was artificial due to those two counties being added. You were completely wrong. Accept it and move one.
I did not state that the metro Columbus growth is simply due to those two counties being added. Of course it has grown with population growth; it is or was one of the fasted growing cities/metros in the midwest. But it just did get an instant 66k or so and for people like you, it will not be qualified as a county or two add-on. No big deal. I know how much you love stating that I'm wrong. Accept it and move on.

But the paltry job growth 2013-2014 is non in sync with the hefty population growth. I know you dismissed it, of course, without any basis other than a blip.

Last edited by Kamms; 02-26-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,317,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Columbus may be growing faster in population, but Cincinnati is still Ohio's largest metro and creator of new jobs...

Numerical job growth by MSA (Dec 2013-Dec 2014):

Cincinnati +21,700
Cleveland +12,400
Columbus + 8,300

Percent job growth by MSA (Dec 2013-Dec2014):

Cincinnati +2.1%
Cleveland +1.2%
Columbus +0.8%

Nevertheless, it's probably a good time just to step back and ask if the OP's original questions have been addressed (after all, she was concerned about only two major Ohio cities, not three). Therefore, in fairness to everyone concerned, wouldn't it be best if Cincinnati was dropped from this discussion entirely?
Columbus will surpass Cincinnati in metro population. It just added a quick 66K or so to its population base.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:03 PM

11,040 posts, read 13,467,704 times
Recently, I was debating between these two metros myself, to decide which one I would prefer moving to. After much research and thought, I am going with Cleveland instead of Columbus, although Columbus seems like a good place, too.

I just prefer a metro that has a more established, deep legacy, while also looking to the future as well. Columbus just seems too sunbelt-like, too new and bland to me. It looks flatter and more surrounded by cornfields, to me. Many of the neighborhoods and houses just don't look all that appealing to me, in Columbus metro. Cleveland metro seems to have more interesting terrain/scenery, Lake Erie and the Metroparks look awesome. I also didn't like how Columbus has an overwhelmingly large population of young people, college students and gay people (and I'm gay myself). Nothing against these kinds of people, but I just feel that the Cleveland metro overall has a more even distribution of diverse kinds of people, whether they're gay or straight, black or white, blue collar or white collar, etc. It just seems more cosmopolitan overall. Also, now that I'm entering my 30's, I want to be living in a more settled, mature lifestyle. I am introverted and don't care as much about social life, nightlife or anything like that anymore.

Also, after looking in great depth for jobs that would suit me in both cities, Cleveland, believe it or not has more job opportunities for me than Columbus.....although both would be just fine in that regard. I also like how Cleveland metro has a much larger Italian population (I'm Italian), so it's nice to see a few more people like myself out and about.

Also, just by looking at a map, Columbus seems to have a very small diameter for the metro (less than 20 miles), enclosed by a beltway, then surrounded by cornfields. Cleveland metro, on the other hand is huge and has sprawling highways and suburbs, and stretches about 60 miles in diameter, which I prefer.

Columbus, apparently, also has significantly more vehicular traffic than Cleveland does. I personally can't stand traffic.

I also like how Cleveland has direct flights to Hartford, so I can easily visit family. Columbus does not, and would be more of a hassle to visit CT.

And finally, I feel like I would fit in better in northeast Ohio, being from New England. Housing is cheaper than Columbus also, and I like the Great Lakes / rust belt vibe. I absolutely loved Buffalo, too. But I hated Charlotte. Another thing I like is that Cleveland metro is more Democratic than Columbus metro. Oh, and I can't stand places with a high degree of yuppies.

But anyway, Columbus sounds like a good choice, regardless, as well.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by nep321; 02-26-2015 at 11:13 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I did not state that the metro Columbus growth is simply due to those two counties being added. Of course it has grown with population growth; it is or was one of the fasted growing cities/metros in the midwest. But it just did get an instant 66k or so and for people like you, it will not be qualified as a county or two add-on. No big deal. I know how much you love stating that I'm wrong. Accept it and move on.

But the paltry job growth 2013-2014 is non in sync with the hefty population growth. I know you dismissed it, of course, without any basis other than a blip.
It's acknowledged that 2 counties were added. I even started a thread about it on the main Ohio page when it happened. Look it up. It happened in March 2013 and that's when I posted about it.

And you pretty clearly tried to say that the growth was artificial, so whatever. I don't expect you to admit you were wrong about anything.

The job growth didn't matter too much, as I said. Unemployment didn't rise, but instead fell to one of the lowest rates in the country. So yeah, Columbus didn't have the highest job growth, no denying that. But it just didn't matter.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Columbus will surpass Cincinnati in metro population. It just added a quick 66K or so to its population base.
When your metro grows by more than 2x that number just from one county, 66K is not that much. That amount was also just for a single year. The two counties in question contribute very nothing to the annual population change other than the initial bump when they were added. This is because the year they were added, they actually lost population and had been losing population for a few years before that, so if that continues, the population contribution for these will get smaller over time. It's not exactly the windfall you're making it out to be.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 AM

444 posts, read 661,832 times
I am leaning towards Cleveland. This whole thing for me has been my vacillating between whether to start a grad program being in my 50s. So, since about 2011 I've struggled with this, only to have gotten older of course. While living in Cleveland, I visited the University of Findlay. I returned and then applied for the Master's in TESOL program. I deferred it and have been struggling with whether to go there or not. It's a lovely university and town but there don't seem to be many jobs there. So IF I go there, I'll have to use most of the loan I apply for to live. That's when I started pondering Ohio Dominican University. Being in a big city like Columbus has made me think that if I go there I can find some type of office employment while being in school.

When I lived in the Cleveland area, it was a time of life where I'd had just come out of losses - deaths of my parents, etc. I had moved to Cleveland because I knew people there, but the weather bothered me since I am from Florida. I had found a Catholic church there that I felt I belonged to (in North Olmsted). I felt a sense of community. Like I mentioned, I loved the ethnic diversity, the lake, parks, etc. But, my mind was clouded by grief. I had an opportunity to take a course at Duke University in Durham, NC, so I came here. I have lived in the Triangle since 2002, and briefly in Charlotte before that. No matter where I have lived, I have never liked it here. I've tried so hard, to find a job, to find friends, etc. but the culture here is very southern. It's been a thing of oh, let me try this, maybe it'll work. It didn't. I tried something else. Same result.

Reflecting back on Cleveland, years later, having worked through grief and being much stronger, I miss Cleveland. I visited once and thought, "Ah, I'm home." Yet, I returned to NC. Back when I lived in Cleveland, I had visited Columbus, and I drove through again when I was in Findlay. I didn't like Columbus. Nep321, your words connected with me to my core. Columbus gave me the same feeling, that it's bordered by a beltway, and when you get out of the area it's very rural. This is really good on the other hand, particularly for families. I don't fault it for that. But, being in my mid-50s, I don't know if I'd adapt well. It does remind me of Charlotte, actually, and I didn't like Charlotte either. When I drove around Ohio State years back, I got an uneasy feeling there too somehow. I also noticed on both visits that Columbus has a very large gay population. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm wondering as a straight female what opportunities there would be to date straight males in my age group.

Like nep321 said, being Italian as he is, Cleveland has Little Italy. I'm Hungarian, and when I lived in Cleveland, I was able to get my poppyseed and nut rolls at Giant Eagle pretty much any time. I could go to West Side Market too and pick up some Hungarian sausage and to a Hungarian restaurant as well. If I worked downtown I could ride the train in from the suburbs and linger a bit at Tower City. It's these things that make me really miss the area. Maybe I shouldn't be focused on getting into a grad program but try to find a job in Cleveland instead. If the quality of my life were better, I know I'd be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or