Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 11:59 PM

4 posts, read 3,099 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Columbus. Work location would be near Nationwide Blvd. Looking for good apt for family nearby else any good apartment/Rental in Columbus even if not nearby nationwide blvd?

How is the commute in Columbus, Is own car needed? Is there any transit facility nearby the apartment? We were near NY area so don't have our own car. If we buy car if some one can give over all pic of the cost that we have to put in to buy a car?

We have never been to this area so have many questions on this.

Forgot to mention we have a 4 yr old, so also have to look at schools too. Also is there a good Indian store nearby?

Last edited by smruti10; 02-25-2015 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: Adding more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 AM

22 posts, read 43,158 times
A car is absolutely necessarily. The public transportation is not as efficient as it could be. The commute in the morning is usually not terrible, I don't know anyone who lives in the general vicinity that takes more than 45 minutes to get to work.

If you are on Nationwide Blvd. Downtown, the apartments are usually kind of pricey down there, there are good, affordable apartments/houses for rent on the far north side of town that would be great to raise a kid. The schools in Columbus aren't fantastic, but the elementary schools tend to be a bright spot.

I know of one Indian market, called Patel Brothers I think, it's near Sawmill Rd, which is on the north side of town, where housing is cheap, but still quality.

Columbus is a great city to raise a family. There are a bunch of universities in the area, and there's always something to do. Crime isn't a big problem, and the people are really nice for the most part.

Worst part: It gets cold and the roads get snowy, and are pretty terrible this time of year.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:21 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
You don't absolutely have to have a car, but if you don't, you will need to make sure you're on a regular bus line.

Some good neighborhoods that would be close to work would be Downtown, German Village, Grandview Heights, Victorian Village, Italian Village and the Arena District. A bit further away but still on bus lines would be Clintonville, Worthington, Merion Village and Bexley.

Grandview Heights, Bexley and Worthington have great schools.

Not sure if there are good Indian stores in those areas, but there are tons of Indians living in the Dublin area or Northwest Columbus, and I know there are Indian stores around there. Dublin has good schools too, but it's not as close to your work location and bus transit would take longer.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:06 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
If you don't live downtown or an inner core neighborhood or don't live along High Street going up north, you would need a vehicle or you will feel severely limited in where you can go.

Patel Brothers grocery store on Sawmill Rd in Dublin is a good Indian market...but if you live anywhere up in this side of town, you need a vehicle.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 3,099 times
Thank you all for your suggestions!!! If I am looking at car. What's the insurance cost I am looking at? Asking u since we have never owned a car in usa.

Which one is better taking a apt downtown or going a bit far off and buying a car?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smruti10 View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions!!! If I am looking at car. What's the insurance cost I am looking at? Asking u since we have never owned a car in usa.

Which one is better taking a apt downtown or going a bit far off and buying a car?
You'll have to do some price comparisons. Being a first-time car owner, I'm not sure what the rates might be.

As for what's better, it just depends on how much you plan on using a car. Apartments farther away from Downtown will be generally cheaper, but part of that will be offset by having to pay for a car and the gas/insurance/maintenance. Apartments near Downtown are more expensive, but you'll be able to walk more. So there's a tradeoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus