U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,250 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the Columbus area this year, and we're trying to decide if we should move to Worthington or Powell. We plan on purchasing a home and staying there for 10+ years with our newborn. We really like Worthington Hills, but also like some of the communities close to downtown Powell. Any recommendations for which area has the best potential for long term (10-20 yr.) growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 03:43 PM

12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
There's a downtown in Powell? J/K!

Worthington has great schools, is safe and is closer to more amenities of the city. Both places have decent growth prospects, but in varying ways. Worthington is an older, more established suburb, so its growth will be slower and more maintained. Powell's will be more rapid, but with more sprawl. Traffic will be worse in Powell over the long run just because the infrastructure can't handle that growth.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 7,657 times
We relocated to Worthington this past summer (3 kids, 4 months to 11 yo). Both are good areas, but there are differences, mainly to do with the age of the communities. As mentioned, Worthington is older and established. How this has played out for us is there seems to be fewer people who move in and out of the area. We have met a surprising number of adults our age who themselves grew up and went to Worthington schools. The elementary schools are small (about 2-3 classes per grade) and it seems that kids and parents know each other fairly well. Many of the houses that come on the market are snapped up by people who already live in Worthington, who are looking to upgrade.

As I understand, Worthington will not really grow because it is land locked. It should continue to thrive as it is well established, had very good schools, and is centrally located (especially compared to outer belt areas).

I cannot really speak to Powell specifically. Everything there is newer and schools are rated very high. I would guess it would be more transient in nature (a number of people who have relocated with my company end up in that area) which could make it easier to settle in. It did for us in a previous move.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:01 PM

2,359 posts, read 3,299,773 times
Worthington would be better if you want a true community feel.

Powell would be better if you want to driver absolutely everywhere, and get stuck traffic each time you leave.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:52 PM

96 posts, read 120,017 times
I advise Powell for great school districts,raising family and calm living

Old 03-16-2015, 09:48 PM

252 posts, read 245,873 times
I don't get Worthington at all. The town square is nice, but most of the subdivisions look like leftovers from the 1960's and 1970's to me. Doesn't do anything for me. Powell is just plain tacky. They really should reconsider their fetish on large lots over there. It is not very attractive. If I am looking for comparable communities, I would pick Dublin, Upper Arlington, Bexley and New Albany over Worthington and Powell.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:36 PM

3,834 posts, read 2,897,741 times
OK. Just for the record I lived in Columbus for years but now live out of state. Worthington and Powell are both safe upper middle class areas with good schools. Home prices are amongst the highest in the greater Columbus area. Generally if you're looking for a residence on a tight budget you won't find it here.

Worthington is old school, conservative and mostly white with a somewhat older population demographic.
Powell is newer. Bigger houses some with very large lots. Younger professionals with quite a significant number of Asians and Indians. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:41 PM

267 posts, read 417,049 times
For record I was raised in/near Columbus, moved out of states (for work) moved back (for work) and now live out of state (agin for work). I last lived in central Ohio 5 years ago; however, all of my family lives there and we visit at least two times a year.

I agree that Worthington and Powell are both safe upper middle class areas. Both of these suburbs have great schools.

Where will you or your spouse be commuting to/from for work. The real question is what kind of lifestyle do you have/want. I ask because there are other areas of the city that may be better for you or fit your lifestyle better or one of these two particular suburbs my fit your lifestyle or the lifestyle you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus