U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 03:17 PM

23 posts, read 19,612 times

Advertisements

This is more a rant out of frustration.

My wife and I are planning our move back to Columbus after spending 2.5 wonderful years living in the foothills of the Rockies just outside of Denver. The reasons for coming back are plenty but the main reasons being that we have since brought a new life into the world a year ago and want to be closer to family. As well as the housing market here is insane right now. Houses go into contract in 1-3 days for 10k+ over asking.

We have spent the last 3 weeks looking at over 500 homes online as well as an impromptu trip for a long weekend to check out about 30 houses in person. We got scooped on the absolute perfect house in Pickerington by about 5 days. Other than that house, pretty much everything we have viewed as been garbage. It is driving me crazy! My current house sale closes in just over 30 days and we still have no clue where we are gong to live. I am really hoping the inventory picks up soon....

Anyone else having the same problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 04:40 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,593,333 times
Yes, yes, and yes. We want to live in Clintonville, but it's impossible. Things are being snapped up in an instant. I would recommend getting preapproved for a mortgage and ready to step in. That's what we're doing.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:45 PM

Thanks! We are at that point but nothing on the market is very appealing right now...

Old 03-10-2015, 07:02 AM

418 posts, read 419,616 times
I have been looking since May 2014 and have found nothing. Everything that is on the market is such low quality that it would cost too much to fix. The interesting thing is when I complain about the lack of houses especially quality houses to Columbusites they look at me like I am crazy although most of them have been looking for another house to buy for an average of 2 years. The houses that are available are so poorly constructed and the layouts so odd that I am not sure who thought it would be a good idea to build them. Be careful of getting a house with artificial stucco because many of them have extensive water damage. I have driven through subdivisions that are less than 10 years old and house after house has extensive damage. I think sellers are offloading their homes because they know there are extensive problems. Also, the pictures look great until you look at the house in person. I can't believe the county and cities surrounding Columbus as well as Columbus would allow this to go on. Honestly the houses in Cbus and surrounding areas are overpriced money pits. I went to a see some new construction homes by a "reputable" big box builder and there were cracks in the mortar in the block foundation. Another big box builder had crooked walls and that was their spec. Buyer beware and be careful of houses built during the "housing boom." Good luck!!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:09 AM

Agreed Muffy! The problem we have is that we are currently outside Denver...so we can't keep coming back to check out every single one we are interested in. If the pictures look good, we have to have our realtor do a skype with us or have a parent from Cleveland drive down. Either way a PITA!

As far as the quality, I absolutely agree. We lived in an MI spec home when we last lived in Columbus and I am all to familiar with some of the other "big box' builders. While our home didnt have any issues (we only lived in it 4 1/2 years)...I saw many others with exactly the problems you are talking about.

In the end, we are only looking for a house to spend 4-6 years in until we do a custom build on our own property. The best house we have seen thus far was built circa 1900 and since remodeled. The quality of it was heads above most of the cookie cutter homes that were thrown up in the housing boom. But as I mentioned above...being in Denver...we were 5 days late in getting to see it to put our bid in. (Still hoping it falls through but thats a long shot)

Old 03-10-2015, 07:23 PM

12,785 posts, read 12,759,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
I have been looking since May 2014 and have found nothing. Everything that is on the market is such low quality that it would cost too much to fix. The interesting thing is when I complain about the lack of houses especially quality houses to Columbusites they look at me like I am crazy although most of them have been looking for another house to buy for an average of 2 years. The houses that are available are so poorly constructed and the layouts so odd that I am not sure who thought it would be a good idea to build them. Be careful of getting a house with artificial stucco because many of them have extensive water damage. I have driven through subdivisions that are less than 10 years old and house after house has extensive damage. I think sellers are offloading their homes because they know there are extensive problems. Also, the pictures look great until you look at the house in person. I can't believe the county and cities surrounding Columbus as well as Columbus would allow this to go on. Honestly the houses in Cbus and surrounding areas are overpriced money pits. I went to a see some new construction homes by a "reputable" big box builder and there were cracks in the mortar in the block foundation. Another big box builder had crooked walls and that was their spec. Buyer beware and be careful of houses built during the "housing boom." Good luck!!
Can you please give specific examples of neighborhoods dominated by severely damaged stucco housing that's less than a decade old?? Because honestly, you've been claiming this for sometime and have yet to give a single detail on where all these terrible houses are.

I'd also like to know what your credentials are when it comes to judging whether or not housing is built cheaply. Are you in real estate? Construction?

Also, the problem seems to be that you're looking as the sprawl suburbs that were built quickly and without any thought to quality. Go to literally any city in the US and look at the suburbs and you'll find roughly the same quality. Also, your best bet is to do your research.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:58 AM

418 posts, read 419,616 times
Gahanna, Johnstown, Blacklick, Jefferson Township, New Albany, Pataskala, Pickerington.

I have spoken to builders, realtors, and real estate attorneys regarding the shoddy quality of many of the houses and they are all in agreement. BTW, the people that I talk to will not hesitate to tell I am wrong. Stucco is a great material but application is critical and many of the houses have artificial stucco. Drive by some of the houses with stucco and look at the windows and doors. Look how wet it looks. Am I a building expert, no however I talk to experts and you don't need to be an expert to see the issues.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:25 AM

12,785 posts, read 12,759,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Gahanna, Johnstown, Blacklick, Jefferson Township, New Albany, Pataskala, Pickerington.

I have spoken to builders, realtors, and real estate attorneys regarding the shoddy quality of many of the houses and they are all in agreement. BTW, the people that I talk to will not hesitate to tell I am wrong. Stucco is a great material but application is critical and many of the houses have artificial stucco. Drive by some of the houses with stucco and look at the windows and doors. Look how wet it looks. Am I a building expert, no however I talk to experts and you don't need to be an expert to see the issues.
Those are all significant places. How about specific builders that are involved in this? You have claimed repeatedly that stucco is practically everywhere in and around Columbus, and yet it's not an especially common siding material, especially with more modern housing stock. I'll grant you that there are examples of sections of neighborhoods with stucco, but most of those houses were built post-WWII to the 1970s, and I suspect any house with that kind of age is going to have some maintenance issues to tackle. I'm not sure that's necessarily a quality issue, but an age one. When it comes to modern homes built during the sprawl era, you basically get what you pay for. Unless you go with a custom-built house with a reputable, reliable, quality builder, the type of quality you see in most of suburbia is going to be sub-par almost anywhere you live, and is not a Columbus-specific problem.

Incidentally, I actually took a tour of one of Columbus' earliest stucco houses. It dates from around 1900 and is in Olde Town East. It was in remarkably good shape for being over 110 years old, despite the clear lack of maintenance for many years. They just don't build like that anymore. Those suburban houses, no matter what siding they use, are unlikely to be around a century from now. They just won't have that kind of lifespan.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,378 times
My wife & I are looking to relocate in Columbia. We are looking in an area that is slightly hilly, and with homes that are 40-50 years old. Green Meadow area. Will we have to worry about foundation cracks?

I'm worried that existing cracks can be caulked and painted over, leaving the new owner with the problem.

When I was much younger, I drove a Redi-mix truck for 6 months in 1970, and I saw contractors building on hillsides that wanted their mix WET so it didn't take as much work to get to all corners of the foundation.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:17 PM

4 posts, read 4,201 times
The housing market in Columbus is aggressive, for sure. But, I'm currently also looking for housing in Seattle... where POS houses in terrible school districts list for $370 and only stay on the market for a few days.

I've actually been impressed with the amount of options in the greater Columbus area... although, i'm sure that will change when we have to get serious about buying a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus