U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:41 PM

2,707 posts, read 3,136,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
I am not sure if I am the only one that has noticed this but people in Columbus seem very unfriendly and cold. If you try to be nice they act like you want something.
Apparently you have never been to Long Island or North East PA. I am from NY and most NY'ers are not friendly. I lived in Wilkes Barre, Pa. a city in North East Pa. and they were less friendly than NY'ers and hated everyone not from there. We've lived in Warren, Ohio for two years and found EVERYONE friendly.
Even people from Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 10:08 PM

15 posts, read 14,824 times
I find most people that live in Columbus to be pretty friendly, but there's always exceptions obviously. For the most part I think people here try to be nice and welcoming!

Old 04-04-2015, 07:00 AM

7,026 posts, read 4,071,957 times
Default Cleveland

This thread is a perfect example of why persons from Cleveland are defensive if not outspoken in defense of their city.

Cleveland obviously is not NYC or Chicago, but it is the only place in Ohio with world class cultural institutions and the cost of living is a fraction of that in NYC or Chicago. Milwaukee, contrary to the claim of Mplsite, isn't in the same class as Cleveland on the cultural front, and its NFL team is a hundred miles away in Green Bay. For those who haven't visited Cleveland, go to a website such as yelp or tripadvisor and reads reviews of the Cleveland Museum of Art or other Cleveland attractions.

Admittedly, and not unexpectedly, Milwaukee did rank a couple notches better than Cleveland on this recent list of best drinking cities in the U.S.

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/natio...ies-in-america

Cleveland is enjoying a downtown residency boom, fueled by relatively low costs compared to other similar cities, a vibrant sports and cultural scene downtown, and a 24/7 bus rapid link to University Circle, which is a world medical center, home of both the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Cleveland Orchestra, and the location of Case Western Reserve, the highest ranked national university in Ohio by U.S. News & World Report. PlayhouseSquare downtown is one of the nation's top theater complexes. Cleveland is an acclaimed foodie and beer town, and has been ranked by several sources as a top travel destination in the U.S.

See especially post 15 in this thread:

Another string of positive media stories on Cleveland

You would never guess from Maxmodder's description of the Cleveland sports scene that the Cavaliers currently are one of the two favorites to win the NBA title this year or that the Indians are one of the top-rated MLB teams.

Historically, as I've pointed out to Maxmodder in past posts, Cleveland has won more major pro sports titles than Cincinnati, which no longer has an NBA team. Maxmodder, who now lives in Mason, has liked promoting Cincinnati as a superior sports city to Cleveland, largely based on his arbitrary analysis of sports history. If somebody wants to discuss Cleveland in relation to the rest of the Ohio sports scene, it's impossible not to make the comparison with Cincinnati.

He ignores that Cincinnati didn't support the Royals (now the Sacramento Kings) when they were in the city, but somehow Cincinnati, in the eyes of Maxmodder at least, is somehow considered a superior sports city to Cleveland.

Sacramento Kings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The bottom line is that Cleveland has a franchise for the three major sports. No other Ohio city has that attribute, which immediately sets Cleveland apart in any sports comparison with other Ohio cities and with many other major cities in the U.S.

Admittedly, Ohio State is Cleveland's university sports focus, as evidenced by the coverage in the Cleveland Plain Dealer (see cleveland.com) and the great number of exceptional Greater Cleveland athletes who matriculate at OSU, and the large number of Ohio State alumni in the Cleveland area.

LeBron's exit from Cleveland was viewed as shameful across the entire nation, not just in Cleveland. It wasn't just that he left, but the way in which he left. Actually, there always will be some residual negativity there, but he has apologized and admitted that he could have handled things much better, and certainly he already is established as one of the great sports heroes in Cleveland history. Most of us appreciate the fact that LeBron truly enjoys living in northeast Ohio. Of course, returning to Cleveland was LeBron's best way to repair his image, an improvement of which likely is worth tens of millions of dollars in increased endorsement fees.

The mafia hardly exists in Cleveland today, if at all. Mangokiwi, what's the basis for your claim? If somebody has some factual evidence to the contrary, I would enjoy seeing it. I haven't read anything about the Mafia in Cleveland in well over a decade, and I no longer have any sense of its presence on my many visits to Little Italy. Note that the FBI classifies the Cleveland mafia as inactive and it is generally considered extinct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_crime_family

What is true is that many persons outside of Cleveland, as evidenced in this thread, like to belittle it. Many of them have little or no knowledge of Cleveland. So perhaps Cleveland natives are becoming more assertive in defense of their city.

Again, if you wonder why, just read some of the ridiculous posts in this thread. However, the current wave of good tidings, such as favorable press and winning the Republican National Convention in 2016, plays a role in Clevelanders' pride in their city.

On topic, I know persons throughout Ohio, including in major cities. With the exception of some rural areas, I've never detected a shortage of friendliness anywhere.

Obviously, however, some hotels, restaurants, etc., have more contented and enthusiastic staffs than their peers.

Last edited by WRnative; 04-04-2015 at 07:35 AM..

Old 04-04-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
This thread is a perfect example of why persons from Cleveland are defensive if not outspoken in defense of their city.

Cleveland obviously is not NYC or Chicago, but it is the only place in Ohio with world class cultural institutions and the cost of living is a fraction of that in NYC or Chicago. Milwaukee, contrary to the claim of Mplsite, isn't in the same class as Cleveland on the cultural front, and its NFL team is a hundred miles away in Green Bay. For those who haven't visited Cleveland, go to a website such as yelp or tripadvisor and reads reviews of the Cleveland Museum of Art or other Cleveland attractions.

Cleveland is enjoying a downtown residency boom, fueled by relatively low costs compared to other similar cities, a vibrant sports and cultural scene downtown, and a 24/7 bus rapid link to University Circle, which is a world medical center, home of both the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Cleveland Orchestra, and the location of Case Western Reserve, the highest ranked national university in Ohio by U.S. News & World Report. PlayhouseSquare downtown is one of the nation's top theater districts. Cleveland is an acclaimed foodie and beer town, and has been ranked by several sources as a top travel destination in the U.S.

See especially post 15 in this thread:

Another string of positive media stories on Cleveland

You would never guess from Maxmodder's description of the Cleveland sports scene that the Cavaliers currently are one of the two favorites to win the NBA title this year or that the Indians are one of the top-rated MLB teams.

Historically, as I've pointed out to Maxmodder in past posts, Cleveland has won more major pro sports titles than Cincinnati, which no longer has an NBA team. Maxmodder, who now lives in Mason, has liked promoting Cincinnati as a superior sports city to Cleveland, largely based on his arbitrary analysis of sports history.

He ignores that Cincinnati didn't support the Royals (now the Sacramento Kings) when they were in the city, but somehow Cincinnati, in the eyes of Maxmodder at least, is somehow considered a superior sports city to Cleveland.

Sacramento Kings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LeBron's exit from Cleveland was viewed as shameful across the entire nation, not just in Cleveland. It wasn't just that he left, but the way in which he left. Actually, there always will be some residual negativity there, but he has apologized and admitted that he could have handled things much better, and certainly he already is established as one of the great sports heroes in Cleveland history. Most of us appreciate the fact that LeBron truly enjoys living in northeast Ohio. Of course, returning to Cleveland was LeBron's best way to repair his image, an improvement of which likely is worth tens of millions of dollars in increased endorsement fees.

The mafia hardly exists in Cleveland today, if at all. Mangokiwi, what's the basis for your claim? If somebody has some factual evidence to the contrary, I would enjoy seeing it. I haven't read anything about the Mafia in Cleveland in well over a decade, and I no longer have any sense of its presence on my many visits to Little Italy. Note that the FBI classifies the Cleveland mafia as inactive and it is generally considered extinct.

Cleveland crime family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is true is that many persons outside of Cleveland, as evidenced in this thread, like to belittle it. Many of them have little or no knowledge of Cleveland. So perhaps Cleveland natives are becoming more assertive in defense of their city.

Again, if you wonder why, just read some of the ridiculous posts in this thread. However, the current wave of good tidings, such as favorable press and winning the Republican National Convention in 2016, plays a role in Clevelanders' pride in their city.

On topic, I know persons throughout Ohio, including in major cities. With the exception of some rural areas, I've never detected a shortage of friendliness anywhere.

Obviously, however, some hotels, restaurants, etc., have more contented and enthusiastic staffs than their peers.

I think you have some sort of inferiority complex. First of all I didn't see a lot of people putting down Cleveland. I in fact, coming from New York, love Ohio, especially Warren (where we live), areas where we like to visit, Cleveland, Columbus, Youngstown, Geneva of the lake, just to name a few. I find the people being friendly and real, and cost of living unbelievable. People should stop complaining about where they come from until they get a chance to try another place. I know from what I am talking about since I grew up on Long Island and always thought it was the center of the universe. We moved to Pa. and always loved to visit there, but since we have 5 dogs, were limited in the place that would allow our dogs while searching for a home. We wound up in Wilkes Barre, a barren crap hole, that hated liberal, educated New Yorkers. We tried to be friendly, but nothing worked. Then we sent our son to YSU for Art. He had amazing professors and we decided to look for a home in the Youngstown-Warren area. We bought a beautiful craftsman home in Warren, that was reminiscent of Long Island. The home we bought would have been 4 to 5 times the amount on LI. Our daughter is going to "the scary", Warren G. Harding HS, and has made great friends, will be graduating with honors and has been accepted into 12 excellent colleges. Harding has more AP courses than the school sh would have graduated from on Long Island. We found out Warren is part of the Western Reserve as is Long Island. My wife and myself will attack anyone who puts down Ohio. Our only regret is not moving here sooner.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I think you have some sort of inferiority complex. First of all I didn't see a lot of people putting down Cleveland.
Actually, I've followed this thread for weeks. Today when I read that Cleveland was a city of snobbish people, inferior to Milwaukee, and run by the Mafia, I felt that enough was enough.

Then there was Maxmodder piping in with his ridiculousness about the Cleveland sports scene.

Your reading skills must be far inferior to mine. How's that for an "inferiority complex?"

Enjoyed your other comments. You should have mentioned the excellence of the Butler Institute of American Art and Mill Creek Park!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Actually, I've followed this thread for weeks. Today when I read that Cleveland was a city of snobbish people, inferior to Milwaukee, and run by the Mafia, I felt that enough was enough.

Then there was Maxmodder piping in with his ridiculousness about the Cleveland sports scene.

Your reading skills must be far inferior to mine. How's that for an "inferiority complex?"

Enjoyed your other comments. You should have mentioned the excellence of the Butler Institute of American Art and Mill Creek Park!

Maybe I didn't read everything thoroughly, but I know that a lot of people who live in Ohio, put it down. But actually that happens all over. Also, my daughter was a volunteer at The Butler Museum.

Forget about the sport scene, I will try to become an Ohio fan, but since I lived in NY most of my life I have always rooted for losers like The Jets, Mets and Knicks, so I guess I could root for loser teams here too.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
We found out Warren is part of the Western Reserve as is Long Island.
BTW, thanks for that. I didn't know that Connecticut had once claimed Long Island. I'm not certain that Long Island technically is part of the "Western Reserve."

Locally, the Western Reserve refers only to the Connecticut land claim in what is now northeastern Ohio. As the name "Western Reserve" succeeded the name "New Connecticut," my hunch is that WR only applies to the lands in northeastern Ohio.

Connecticut Western Reserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the current county map juxtaposed against the WR:

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/...estern_Reserve

The "Firelands" were particularly poignant, as Americans have little concept of the impact of a war fought at home.

Firelands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-04-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Maybe I didn't read everything thoroughly, but I know that a lot of people who live in Ohio, put it down. But actually that happens all over. Also, my daughter was a volunteer at The Butler Museum.

Forget about the sport scene, I will try to become an Ohio fan, but since I lived in NY most of my life I have always rooted for losers like The Jets, Mets and Knicks, so I guess I could root for loser teams here too.
I'm old enough that I remember well when all of those NY teams were celebrated winners: The Miracle Mets, Joe Namath winning Super Bowl III, and the 1970 Knicks of Walt Frazier and especially Willis Reed defeating the Lakers of Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West in the best NBA Championship Finals that I've ever seen. Those are great, great national sports memories even if you're not a NY sports fan. Honestly, I'm hard-pressed to think of a better one in my lifetime, until Ohio State's "underdog" run with a third string quarterback this year in the first year of the NCAA football BCS.

1969 New York Mets season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cleveland Browns' upset rout of the Baltimore Colts in 1964 certainly was great, and on my list of top memories, but the victory margin was so lopsided, it never registered with national sports fans outside of those in Cleveland and Baltimore, also partially because the NFL was not the juggernaut it is today and the Browns winning an NFL title was hardly novel at that time.

<<ESPN ranks the '64 title game as the second-greatest NFL postseason upset, behind only Joe Namath's guaranteed win over the Colts in Super Bowl III four seasons later. >>

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde..._still_ch.html

What's unfortunate about this year's Cavaliers is that they likely are expected to win an NBA title, even though it's hardly a sure thing, but Cleveland fans will take it if we do nail one!

Last edited by WRnative; 04-04-2015 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-04-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I'm old enough that I remember well when all of those NY teams were celebrated winners! The Miracle Mets, Joe Namath winning Super Bowl III, and the 1970 Knicks of Walt Frazier and especially Willis Reed defeating the Lakers of Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West in the best NBA Championship Finals that I've ever seen.

1969 New York Mets season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well actually those were my teams. I am in my mid to late 50's and had thought I would be rooting for winners all my life. The last champion team I saw was the 1986 Mets. Maybe the Cavs could be the next team to celebrate.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
BTW, thanks for that. I didn't know that Connecticut had once claimed Long Island. I'm not certain that Long Island technically is part of the "Western Reserve."

Locally, the Western Reserve refers only to the Connecticut land claim in what is now northeastern Ohio. As the name "Western Reserve" succeeded the name "New Connecticut," my hunch is that WR only applies to the lands in northeastern Ohio.

Connecticut Western Reserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the current county map juxtaposed against the WR:

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/...estern_Reserve

The "Firelands" were particularly poignant, as Americans have little concept of the impact of a war fought at home.

Firelands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My mistake, my wife also corrected me on this. Long Island is part of New England. Connecticut is part of New England and Long Island and The Western Reserve do feel similar. We just feel at home here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or