U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2015, 07:12 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,263 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

As the title eludes to, I have a possible job opportunity in Hilliard and my wife and I have been going back and forth on it, but if the company offers me a job it will be hard to turn down since it would be a dream job. I'd like to get your feedback on some questions about Hilliard and the surrounding areas.

Some questions:
  1. Where would be a good area for a couple their upper 20s / low 30s? We would ideally like a 2-3 Bedroom house or apartment with parking (dog friendly) and within walking distance to restaurants / parks. Price range would be up to 1700. I don't think we'd want to buy right off the bat.
  2. How are the teaching opportunities in the area for elementary education?
  3. I've been reading that climate is not too favorable in Ohio, is there any truth to this? We'd be coming from NJ, so we know about snow, below freezing temps, and hot humid summers.
  4. Jewish population around Columbus?
  5. We're pretty out-going people and would like to make new friends - are people friendly there? And what is there to do in Columbus and the surround areas?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2015, 03:00 AM
 
874 posts, read 1,030,210 times
Reputation: 695
The more established Jewish community in Columbus lives in Bexley, or in parts of eastern Columbus near Bexley, although there are more Jews in other parts of the area than there used to be, but the kosher butcher is still there. Expect New Jersey weather with more clouds. People are friendly as long as you hate Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2015, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,785 posts, read 12,761,529 times
Reputation: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
The more established Jewish community in Columbus lives in Bexley, or in parts of eastern Columbus near Bexley, although there are more Jews in other parts of the area than there used to be, but the kosher butcher is still there. Expect New Jersey weather with more clouds. People are friendly as long as you hate Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2015, 02:58 PM
 
Location: The Ohio State University Columbus, OH
212 posts, read 444,568 times
Reputation: 169
You've got a good budget, I'd suggest Grandview or Upper Arlington. True, Bexley is the "little Israel" of Columbus, but if you're working in Hilliard, you'd want to be west of downtown. I lived in Bexley for a year and it's not the greatest/safest area and it borders some bad areas to the east and south.

PS- how do you like the MK7? MK4 tdi manual myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 PM
 
11 posts, read 10,636 times
Reputation: 35
It sounds like your wife is an elementary school teacher. Public school teaching jobs are very difficult to get in the Columbus area unless you know someone or have an "in" in a school district. The charter schools(tuition free schools run by companies rather than school districts) do have a lot of openings because people quit constantly but I would be careful about taking a job in them. Very low pay, usually less than 30,000 a year and very high teacher turn over. But there are a lot along Morse road on the North side run by companies like Imagine, Mosaica, Edvantages, and Zenith if your wife is interested in them.

To get into a school district, I would suggest subbing to get your foot in the door. If she signs up to sub with Columbus City schools, she should try to get a long term sub position at the beginning of the year for an overflow classroom. When they have too many kids in a grade level, they typically put the kids in an "overflow" class with a long-term sub until October. The long-term sub then has a very good chance of getting hired full-time with a contract to teach that class in Oct. The new superintendent keeps saying he is going to do away with this practice. But, from what I have seen it continues on each year. So subbing in Columbus City Schools might be the way to go to land a full-time position.

Of course, the suburban districts such as Dublin,Olentangy, Hilliard, Worthington, Grandview are nicer to teach in but they are harder to get into unless you know someone but it can't hurt to sign up to sub in them as well.

As for where to live, Bexley is a very nice mostly Jewish area but more geared towards families with children or senior citizens. It is pretty much all houses built for families. With your budget, you could get a really nice apartment in the Short North or Grandview area. Check outModerator cut: links removed, please wait until you have at least 10 posts before posting links and recommendations
These are really nice apartments near exciting areas with lots of young professionals in their late 20s and early 30s. There is always a lot to do in Grandview or Short North. Restaurants, coffee shops, festivals, bars, yoga studios, spinning studios, bicycling clubs, theaters, shops, you name it.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Last edited by Yac; 04-01-2015 at 03:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 06:01 AM
 
1,556 posts, read 1,463,978 times
Reputation: 1626
Grandview, Short North, German Village, Bexley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 PM
 
11 posts, read 10,636 times
Reputation: 35
Uh oh! I forgot I can't post links. The apartments I think you would like are Ashton Apartments in the Short North and Grandview Yard Apartments in Grandview area. If you google them, their websites come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
267 posts, read 417,752 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk7GTI View Post
As the title eludes to, I have a possible job opportunity in Hilliard and my wife and I have been going back and forth on it, but if the company offers me a job it will be hard to turn down since it would be a dream job. I'd like to get your feedback on some questions about Hilliard and the surrounding areas.

Some questions:
  1. Where would be a good area for a couple their upper 20s / low 30s? We would ideally like a 2-3 Bedroom house or apartment with parking (dog friendly) and within walking distance to restaurants / parks. Price range would be up to 1700. I don't think we'd want to buy right off the bat.
  2. How are the teaching opportunities in the area for elementary education?
  3. I've been reading that climate is not too favorable in Ohio, is there any truth to this? We'd be coming from NJ, so we know about snow, below freezing temps, and hot humid summers.
  4. Jewish population around Columbus?
  5. We're pretty out-going people and would like to make new friends - are people friendly there? And what is there to do in Columbus and the surround areas?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
1. Multiple Places meet the match for number 1. Grandview, Victorian Village, Short North, Italian Village, and German Village come to my mind first.

2. If nothing else Columbus Public Schools are always looking for substitutes. You can work about every day of the week for them.

3. Bexley, Ohio

4. Yes, Tons of Parks, OSU Games, Clipper Games, Zoo, Kings Island (2 hours away), Blue Jacket Games, Gallery Night in the Short North, COSI, concerts, malls, theaters etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 02:37 PM
 
73 posts, read 145,868 times
Reputation: 86
As for the weather question, I was born and raised in central Ohio, but due to my former profession and a life-long travel bug I have lived in several states, including for several years in NJ (Mt. Holly area). I worked outside year round in NJ so I was in close contact with the weather, and in my experience the weather in central Ohio is pretty much identical to central NJ, with the possible exception of a tad less snow in central Ohio (there are no "nor'easters" in central OH). Note I said central Ohio, as opposed to northern Ohio (lake effect snow, etc) or southern Ohio, where the weather tends to have variations when compared to the central portion of the state. Central Ohio has the reputation of missing a lot of the heavier snowstorms that tend to go north or south of the Columbus area for some reason (but not always). As for cloudy vs. sunny days, amount of rain, heat, cold, humidity, etc., there wasn't enough difference between the two for me to notice.

Overall, whatever differences there might be between NJ and central OH weather are too small to be of consequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 03:20 PM
 
239 posts, read 804,065 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98PanAm View Post
Central Ohio has the reputation of missing a lot of the heavier snowstorms that tend to go north or south of the Columbus area for some reason (but not always).
That sounds about right to me. Columbus may get several rounds of the 3-5" storms that cause inconvenience, but rarely seems to get socked with a real whopper of a storm (over 10"). On average, a measurable snow event is definitely less common in southern Ohio, but for whatever reason, they do seem more prone to a significant event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top