U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:51 PM

418 posts, read 421,896 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about those of you who have relocated to Columbus. How do you like it? Are you happy with your move? Which area did you move to? If you could have moved someplace else, where would it be? What areas of Columbus would you recommend moving to? Do you find Columbus to be friendly to transplants? What made you move here? What do you like and dislike about Columbus? Thank you in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 03:06 PM

419 posts, read 678,746 times
I love Columbus, its a great city. Moved here about 1.5 years ago. Rented in Victorian Village than bought a house in Upper Arlington. People here are very friendly. Both the wife and I got jobs here. The weather sucks here in January/February but the other ten months have decent weather. Other than that the drivers are horrible. Overall a really nice, underrated city.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:42 AM

418 posts, read 421,896 times
Interesting..there are not many replies.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 PM

688 posts, read 866,933 times
It's great if you are a Buckeye fan. Ambivalent or root for another program and be prepared to be treated like a leper.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:50 AM

166 posts, read 245,466 times
I have been here almost 6 years and love it. Cincinnati born and raised. I still love Cincy, but Columbus is much easier to get around and I find it easier to make friends here as the population is a bit more transient. Only thing I would change if I could is the weather (I like 4 seasons, but would prefer more of a North Carolina type of winter) and it would be nice if we could land an NBA team (I'm already a Bengals and Reds fan for life, so no desire for an NFL or MLB team).

In reply to Zen_master, I am a Bearcat fan and I have rarely had any problems. Of course people always want to talk about the Buckeyes, but that's natural. OSU fan can be annoying, but that doesn't go beyond sports from my personal experiences.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:19 AM

12,796 posts, read 12,808,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
It's great if you are a Buckeye fan. Ambivalent or root for another program and be prepared to be treated like a leper.
This is such a total lie, I'm not sure how people expect to get away with repeating it and be taken seriously.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:05 AM

306 posts, read 333,189 times
Awesome, I have been here ten years and love it. Constantly growing but still an undiscovered gem. Plan on staying for the long haul.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:49 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,142,394 times
Moved here close to 30 years ago. The Buckeye sports aura is oppressive, and ubiquitous, but only the lowest of the low will seriously harrass you for rooting on another team - but expect to get razzing for it. Columbus is well located, central to the state, good day trips abound and there is plenty to do in the metro area. Employment is back to pre recession levels. Housing is supposedly affordable, but I dont see it that way, anything nice is 175K and up, way up.

The climate in Ohio isnt great but isnt as bad as some other places. Each decade, about 3 of 10 summer are brutal about the same for winters. Generally Cleveland gets much worse winters, Cincinnati milder, Cbus in the middle as we prettu much always are.

For me overall, living here this long, Columbus has changed for the worse. Traffic, riiff raff, ghetto areas, suburban sprawl, and people with attitude low class and upper, all these have greatly expanded over the years.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:20 AM

12,796 posts, read 12,808,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Moved here close to 30 years ago. The Buckeye sports aura is oppressive, and ubiquitous, but only the lowest of the low will seriously harrass you for rooting on another team - but expect to get razzing for it. Columbus is well located, central to the state, good day trips abound and there is plenty to do in the metro area. Employment is back to pre recession levels. Housing is supposedly affordable, but I dont see it that way, anything nice is 175K and up, way up.

The climate in Ohio isnt great but isnt as bad as some other places. Each decade, about 3 of 10 summer are brutal about the same for winters. Generally Cleveland gets much worse winters, Cincinnati milder, Cbus in the middle as we prettu much always are.

For me overall, living here this long, Columbus has changed for the worse. Traffic, riiff raff, ghetto areas, suburban sprawl, and people with attitude low class and upper, all these have greatly expanded over the years.
Not sure what you mean by riff-raff and "ghetto areas". I hope you mean crime rather than by racially diverse... Assuming you mean crime, that's factually untrue. Crime rates over the past 30 years have dropped significantly for every single type of crime.

Traffic has gotten worse, but that's just a reality for a metro adding tens of thousands of people every year without investing in alternatives to driving.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:40 PM

78 posts, read 117,005 times
Don't like it, leaving when the right job offer comes in. Just don't like the weather, and I'm not personally into the limited attractions Columbus has to offer. Would recommend for families who need affordable housing or younger graduates just starting out. If you have the money to live somewhere subjectively better to you, don't stay/come to Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or