Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,954 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a single female planning to move to Columbus, OH in the summer.

When I went to check out the Atrium Lofts around N High St and W Long St, I encountered a homeless person who yelled at me and then chased after me. I also found out that there is a homeless shelter nearby

I'm hoping this is a single incident but it makes me nervous about living around downtown.

For those who live there or are familiar with the area, how dangerous is downtown Columbus? Or am I over-reacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 01:16 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,950,088 times
It's not dangerous at all. It gets a bit abandoned at night, but that is slowly changing with more projects like Atrium. I would be more wary of travelling toward the east end of downtown - it can be sketchy around 4th and beyond.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:22 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,937,975 times
It's actually one of the safest areas in the entire city if you're going by crime rates. There is obviously the occasional homeless person like anywhere else, but they tend to be pretty harmless.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:35 PM

78 posts, read 145,071 times
Male living downtown. Cars at my building have been broken into multiple times over 3 years. Looking forward to moving away (both from the neighborhood and the city) once the right job offer comes in.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:21 PM

24 posts, read 64,512 times
I think it really depends on where you are and at what time. I have never had any problems being alone in the city but I have never lived downtown alone either. My recommendation is that you select the area you move to carefully and read reviews around the area as well as looking at crime maps and police reports. I also think downtown is improving gradually both in terms of aesthetics, entertainment, and safety. All in all, I think you'll be just fine living alone in Columbus, just be safe and smart in your selections!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:17 AM

4 posts, read 11,211 times
Downtown itself is quite safe. Areas to be wary of include: Whitehall, Old Towne East, the entire area surrounding German Village, Franklinton, anything in the university area that is East of Summit (essentially everything between Summit and 71 North, from the edge of downtown all the way up to Hudson St.)

Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 AM

488 posts, read 856,041 times
Downtown is generally safe. If I were to move downtown, I'd look into the Arena District as there always seems to be something going on, the housing there is on the newer side, and there are so many restaurants and bars nearby (not to mention an easy walk to the Short North).

The RiverSouth area (High Street south of State) is really being built up right now as well. The 250 South High project and all of the Lifestyle Communities apartments are bringing a ton of people to the area (and they just announced a new 17 story tower that will begin to rise later this year).

The area where you are looking near High and Long is a bit sketchy. While they are adding a lot of new housing units in the area, there are some interesting characters around due to a rooming house, the YMCA and nearby social service agencies. The area is primed for redevelopment, and it is happening at a rapid pace, but if being confronted by street people will intimidate you, I'd suggest looking at the Arena District or RiverSouth area where they may not be in quite the same abundance.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:51 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,002,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwap View Post
Hello, I'm a single female planning to move to Columbus, OH in the summer.

When I went to check out the Atrium Lofts around N High St and W Long St, I encountered a homeless person who yelled at me and then chased after me. I also found out that there is a homeless shelter nearby

I'm hoping this is a single incident but it makes me nervous about living around downtown.

For those who live there or are familiar with the area, how dangerous is downtown Columbus? Or am I over-reacting?
Downtown Columbus is Dangerous if:

1) You're from a small town and you think Columbus is the "big city".

2) You're naive and you've lived a sheltered life.

3) You're not a city dweller therefore you stand out like a sore thumb and are "easy" pickings

Other than that, DTC is not dangerous at all. I've walked from OSU campus, through DT, to Bryden Road on several occasions at 1am. I wouldn't suggest YOU do it.

But than again this is coming from a guy that's walked and roamed the roughest areas of Southside of Chicago and East Detroit. :0)

Old 04-20-2015, 10:10 AM

638 posts, read 971,686 times
why would you roam those areas???????? Asking for trouble in south side chicago/east detroit

Old 04-22-2015, 06:32 PM

19 posts, read 29,225 times
I lived in the Short North and never had my car broken into. Now live in the King Lincoln district [east of 71]. I'm a runner and frequent the downtown area to German Village or campus [and beyond] on a regular basis. A number of years ago a homeless person, in German Village, closed a door on me @ a convenience store. Several months ago I was running past Columbus State Community College and another homeless person yelled at me while I ran past on the sidewalk.

In both cases I resisted the screaming urge to retaliate but realizing they had nothing to lose cooler heads prevailed. I think in both cases I kinda let my guard down but walking [or running] around expecting the worst or profiling everyone you meet isn't no way to live either. Other than watching for traffic it's nice to celebrate the joy of movement.

Being an older male these are rare exceptions to my daily routine. But my advice to anyone would be to stay alert, be confident in your movement and trust your instincts.

Last edited by Sonatina; 04-22-2015 at 06:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus