U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:25 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,449,307 times

Advertisements

I like the Short North......on Sunday. Why? The Fri/Sat college crowd is generally not there. They're hung over from the last 2 nights.

TSN seems to attract more and more of the college crowd, like Park Street.

TSN is a cool place, for what it's worth but I hope it doesn't turn into the next Park Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 05:18 AM

166 posts, read 259,013 times
The Short North jumped the shark a long time ago in terms of being an arts district. It's still a cool place, but it does become a little more like Park Street everyday. It's just the natural progression of things. I don't have much of a reason to spend time there anymore -- many of the things I used to like about it can be found elsewhere.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:45 AM

2,368 posts, read 3,413,196 times
TSN seems like it should be more the college crowd since it's closer to campus than Park Street/Arena District is.

I think German Village/Brewery District is a bit more of an older crowd with some nice places.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:15 PM

320 posts, read 359,240 times
Franklinton

Old 04-14-2015, 11:31 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,652,106 times
It has definitely gone from place-with-a-cool-vibe to playground-for-the-rich. That's not a bad thing, and good for other neighborhoods that will see the next wave.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:37 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,449,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
It has definitely gone from place-with-a-cool-vibe to playground-for-the-rich. That's not a bad thing, and good for other neighborhoods that will see the next wave.
I wouldn't call them the rich. I'd call them middle class folks that WANT to be rich. They do buy all of what they think are the symbols of wealth.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 AM

13,088 posts, read 13,425,385 times
It's just the way neighborhoods progress in terms of development. It was more an arts district about 15 years ago, because artists could actually afford to live there and were part of the group that originally helped build the momentum of revitalization starting in the 1980s. There are still galleries, but many of them have been replaced with restaurants and other types of retail. The SN is in the process of maturing now, so the artists have been moving on to cheaper neighborhoods, particularly Franklinton, which is very likely to be the next hot area over the next 5-10 years.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:09 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,089,172 times
I dunno about Park Street, but it is closer than ever to being gentrified. An Anthropologie opened there, so if you didn't know before...but there are still some quality places but they dot the strip rather than take up several blocks. Sad as it may be, this is what it's taking for Columbus to grow up and be a real city, not just N High St. Main in OTE should already look like Parsons or Oak, W Broad in Franklinton and Hilltop have lots of walkable storefronts, except there's nothing worth going to in most. Hell, Liz Lessner had to yet again be the one to get the ball rolling on W Broad with Dirty Frank's II. Columbus has too many urban business districts sitting dormant: it's actually impressive in a depressing way when you add up how many miles they total (Cleveland, Parsons, etc) and how little there is. While we'll mourn the good old days it'll mean that Columbus will finally have to move on beyond having token hip neighborhoods.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:44 AM

186 posts, read 382,115 times
I recently spent a weekend in the area after not visiting for several years. I definitely felt the changes, much more of a trendy, yuppie, cookie cutter look and feel. I remember it having much more of an independent, college town vibe that I did not get at all on this trip.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:40 AM

13,088 posts, read 13,425,385 times
Let's be clear that while there are not as many artists and galleries in the area, the vast majority of the businesses in the Short North are still private, individually-owned businesses, not commercial chains. It's still very much an independent area with unique shops and restaurants. There is nothing cookie cutter about that aspect. The thing that's really changed is the demographic makeup of the residents (and the higher cost of living), but that's been changing for 30 years. If people are just now starting to notice that, they've not been paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or