U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 15,001 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance if this question has already been address somewhere else; I wasn't able to find anything specific to my question though, so any input is much appreciated!

My husband, two kids (ages 4 and 2), and I will be moving to Columbus this summer and are a bit overwhelmed with all of the various neighborhood suburbs, so I'm hoping that you can all provide some direction! My husband works on the Northwest side of the city (on Phillipi Road), so we're aiming to stay on the westside in order to make his commute manageable.
We've looked in Dublin, Hilliard, and Powell, but I can't seem to get a good answer on which one is "better" and what the differences actually are other than more affordable house prices in Hilliard. The homes in Hilliard seemed to be built fairly close together, whereas there seemed to be a bit more room in between the homes in Dublin, but that may have just been the area we were looking in. Does this seem to be the norm in Hilliard? Also, we've had a few people tell us that there are "areas" of Hilliard that we should avoid (sorry I can't provide details on which areas these are, as I'm not at all familiar with Hilliard).

We're in our early-30s and would love to find a neighborhood that has residents in the same age range with young children. And while we're open to the idea of a home that needs some cosmetic updating, if we're spending upwards of $350k, I'd like for it to be in fairly good shape. And of course, since we do have young children, a good school district is very important to us. For reference, we currently live in Stow, OH (about 30 minutes north of Akron or 35 minutes south of Cleveland), so we're looking for something similar to or a step above where we are now.

I've provided additional details below of what we're searching for:
- a semi-updated 3 or 4 bedroom, 2.5+ baths, 2,200+ sq. ft. home in a walkable neighborhood
- budget is >$400k
- I'd love a walkable downtown area (which is why I'm partial to Dublin) with shops and restaurants, etc
- excellent schools (elementary through high school)
- semi-close (driving distance) to grocery stores/shopping, gyms, parks, etc

In my ideal world, we'd find a mid-century home (built between 1930 - 1950), but those don't seem to exist in the areas we're looking

Other than Dublin, Hilliard, and Powell, should we be looking anywhere else? Worthington (is this too far east)? Grove City? Again, any input is appreciated! TIA!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 04:19 PM

306 posts, read 330,877 times
Just throwing out Bexley. My wife and I love it. Great schools, quaint downtown. Close to downtown Cbus. Easy access to 71 north. Most of the housing stock is from the 1920's but there are some that cover all decades.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:24 PM

381 posts, read 484,152 times
You are not likely to find anything "mid-century" in Dublin, Hilliard, or Powell. Most homes date from mid 1980's-present.

Dublin has the top-rated schools. But the schools in Hilliard and Powell are also highly rated.

I've found Dublin to be kind of stuffy while Hilliard is more affordable and relaxed. The commute from Powell might be challenging since Sawmill Rd. is the primary route to I-270 and it is always backed up at rush.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:16 AM

166 posts, read 243,870 times
Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights would be better bets if you want a mid-century era home.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the input! We're most likely going to land in Hilliard, Dublin or Powell, so any info or opinions you guys have about those areas would be super helpful! I've come to terms with the fact that I won't be finding my mid-century dream home in any of those locations

Old 04-15-2015, 07:53 AM

12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Here's map of the median year homes were built across Franklin County.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help figuring out suburbs! Hilliard, Dublin, Powell?-housemedianyearbuilt2010.png  

Old 04-15-2015, 08:08 AM

Very cool!! Thanks!

Old 04-16-2015, 12:59 AM

166 posts, read 243,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajk21 View Post
I apologize in advance if this question has already been address somewhere else; I wasn't able to find anything specific to my question though, so any input is much appreciated!

My husband, two kids (ages 4 and 2), and I will be moving to Columbus this summer and are a bit overwhelmed with all of the various neighborhood suburbs, so I'm hoping that you can all provide some direction! My husband works on the Northwest side of the city (on Phillipi Road), so we're aiming to stay on the westside in order to make his commute manageable.
We've looked in Dublin, Hilliard, and Powell, but I can't seem to get a good answer on which one is "better" and what the differences actually are other than more affordable house prices in Hilliard. The homes in Hilliard seemed to be built fairly close together, whereas there seemed to be a bit more room in between the homes in Dublin, but that may have just been the area we were looking in. Does this seem to be the norm in Hilliard? Also, we've had a few people tell us that there are "areas" of Hilliard that we should avoid (sorry I can't provide details on which areas these are, as I'm not at all familiar with Hilliard).

We're in our early-30s and would love to find a neighborhood that has residents in the same age range with young children. And while we're open to the idea of a home that needs some cosmetic updating, if we're spending upwards of $350k, I'd like for it to be in fairly good shape. And of course, since we do have young children, a good school district is very important to us. For reference, we currently live in Stow, OH (about 30 minutes north of Akron or 35 minutes south of Cleveland), so we're looking for something similar to or a step above where we are now.

I've provided additional details below of what we're searching for:
- a semi-updated 3 or 4 bedroom, 2.5+ baths, 2,200+ sq. ft. home in a walkable neighborhood
- budget is >$400k
- I'd love a walkable downtown area (which is why I'm partial to Dublin) with shops and restaurants, etc
- excellent schools (elementary through high school)
- semi-close (driving distance) to grocery stores/shopping, gyms, parks, etc

In my ideal world, we'd find a mid-century home (built between 1930 - 1950), but those don't seem to exist in the areas we're looking

Other than Dublin, Hilliard, and Powell, should we be looking anywhere else? Worthington (is this too far east)? Grove City? Again, any input is appreciated! TIA!
Is there more than one Phillipi Road in Columbus? The only one I know of is on the southwest side of town, not the northwest side. I mentioned Grandview and Upper Arlington as they are closer to your husband's job and have just as good of schools as Dublin, Powell, and Hilliard. I figured with your budget and love for mid-century architecture, one of those neighborhoods might be a good fit.

If you're still dead set on Hilliard, Dublin, or Powell... I will say that it would be a dicey commute from Powell. I lived in Hilliard for a year -- found it to be rather dull. Out of the three, I would go for Dublin.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 AM

Ah, yes you're right - it's the southwest side (he's at Big Lots corporate offices). Thanks for the input!!

Old 04-16-2015, 09:10 AM

212 posts, read 444,128 times
Yeah working down there near west Broad, I would look hard at UA and Grandview, it'd be a very short commute and you have the older houses you're seeking and good schools. Definitely not Powell, he would be in the worst traffic of 270, Tuttle Rd, Sawmill Rd. Same with Dublin. I'd be looking at Hilliard (cheaper, and not as good schools) or UA if I were you, especially if you have a $400k+ budget.

E.g. Spend $100k upgrading soemthing like this, one of my best friends grew up on this street.

3780 Mountview Rd, Columbus, OH 43220 is For Sale | Zillow

4660 Shires Ct, Columbus, OH 43220 is For Sale | Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus