U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,357 times

Advertisements

Exploring the possibilities of returning "home" to Ohio after living on the West Coast for way too long.

Would be making a move from Pasadena CA for work at Ohio State.

Multi-racial family (adopted Ethiopian kids, 15 and 8), education and diverse neighbors are important for us (My wife and I were the only two white people in our house and on our cul-de-sac ).

Housing >350, and I'd love to have a bit of that "home town" feeling after living in the Los Angeles suburbs for the last 12 years.

I've enjoyed reading through the forums, and appreciate all of the great insight that everyone brings.

Why, oh why, oh why, oh.... Why did I ever leave Ohio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 08:57 PM

320 posts, read 359,240 times
Clintonville, Westerville. There is an Ethiopian
Relief fundraiser in Westerville, that my wife and I go to every year.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:07 AM

90 posts, read 71,822 times
Depending on what you're planning to do for schools (willing to use CCS? lottery? private/charter? metro?), I would suggest looking into Northland, North Linden, Kenmore Park, King-Lincoln, or Old Town East.

Those are all very diverse neighborhoods which are either stable or improving and would have good commutes to OSU. Clintonville and Westerville are nice, but lilly white (90%+).

Old 04-17-2015, 09:58 AM

389 posts, read 621,262 times
As cbusflyer mentioned, Westerville sounds like it would check a lot of boxes for you as would Clintonville (Clintonville is in Columbus Public Schools, so do your homework on what school your children would attend. A decent number of Clintonville residents send their children to Catholic or other private schools).

I would also add Gahanna to your list - it's fairly diverse, has a number of houses in the $250,000 - $350,000 range, a solid community feel, and good schools.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
As cbusflyer mentioned, Westerville sounds like it would check a lot of boxes for you as would Clintonville (Clintonville is in Columbus Public Schools, so do your homework on what school your children would attend. A decent number of Clintonville residents send their children to Catholic or other private schools).

I would also add Gahanna to your list - it's fairly diverse, has a number of houses in the $250,000 - $350,000 range, a solid community feel, and good schools.
We really like Westerville and Gahanna... seems to meet a lot of the criterion.

We've seen some new developments/builds in the area, but are also interested in an older home with good "bones". Any part of W/G that we should look at for houses that are a bit more "classic"?

Thanks again, folks!!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:01 PM

389 posts, read 621,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstra54 View Post
We really like Westerville and Gahanna... seems to meet a lot of the criterion.

We've seen some new developments/builds in the area, but are also interested in an older home with good "bones". Any part of W/G that we should look at for houses that are a bit more "classic"?

Thanks again, folks!!
The older part of Westerville is Uptown Westerville and the homes there are from the late 19th century/early 20th century. Most homes in Westerville tend to be on the newer side (1970's or newer).

Gahanna has a small, older section near downtown Gahanna, but again, most of Gahanna is on the newer side, with a lot of homes built in the 60's through 80's. Some of the housing developments off of Cherry Bottom Road might be what you are looking for, sort of near Columbus Academy.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:13 PM

27 posts, read 30,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstra54 View Post
Exploring the possibilities of returning "home" to Ohio after living on the West Coast for way too long.

Would be making a move from Pasadena CA for work at Ohio State.

Multi-racial family (adopted Ethiopian kids, 15 and 8), education and diverse neighbors are important for us (My wife and I were the only two white people in our house and on our cul-de-sac ).

Housing >350, and I'd love to have a bit of that "home town" feeling after living in the Los Angeles suburbs for the last 12 years.

I've enjoyed reading through the forums, and appreciate all of the great insight that everyone brings.

Why, oh why, oh why, oh.... Why did I ever leave Ohio?

A biased opinion: It may not fit your criterion with schools necessarily, as the area is not known for public education; but it would be worth a drive into Kenmore Park. The area has somewhat of a bad reputation being tied in with North/South Linden, but I have seen nothing of the sort.

Cute little neighborhood with quite a few of the older homes that seem to have been well taken care of (ours was in great shape when we bought it). Mostly, everyone is very friendly and takes care of their properties. Not to mention the taxes are the best in Columbus, if not the state.

I think you can always find the Clintonville's and Westervilles appealing. But I have found Columbus to have many great little pockets of neighborhoods all over the city. You just have to look.

Also, just a personal opinion - I have only been in Columbus for a year (lived in an apt in Clintonville for 3 months with the gf), but if you are looking for ethnic diversity you will have a difficult time in the neighborhoods described. For being such a liberal town, I have been quite intrigued with the racial divide in certain areas. Just from what I have seen in my short time here.

At any rate, I am new to Columbus with a fresh view so if you have questions feel free to ask.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or