Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 05:37 PM

103 posts, read 200,112 times

Advertisements

My Honda Civic was stolen 8 years ago. It was never recovered.

Ever since that terrible day my finances went to hell. It's been one junk car after another with headaches and costly repairs. When I bought a crown vic from a friend for $3500. I have driven it 8 years and have put $3000 into it --- not to mention bad gas mileage. Its been an OK car--just expensive to maintain. I have kept all maintenance records. I miss my Civic so bad though.
Crown Victorias may ride like tanks but are not built like tanks. It now needs new suspension at a tune of $1200. I am sick of this car, the costly repairs, the bad gas mileage that I am thinking of dumping it.

Anyway--I have been to 3 dealerships, craigslist, carmax, autotrader, rental car companies and eBay motors. Everyone offers a high price tag for their high mileage, junky cars with no maintenance records. I

Why plunk down 8k for a car with no maintenance records and blue smoke coming out of a tailpipe?
I would rather put down 1k to buy an older car with no service records that way if the car breaks down I don't have much invested. Its been so bad that I had to create a used car checklist and 99% of the cars being sold DON'T PASS. After I get to two questions--are you the first owner? No. Do you have maintenance records? No. Next.....

Cars are a necessary expensive evil that keeps me poor. We need them to commute to work--but many are shady when it comes to selling a car. Craigslist has small dealers and car flippers selling in the "by owner" section. It is a joke.

Anyone know where I can buy a car at a good price from an honest person?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:08 PM

381 posts, read 642,263 times
I've had good experiences with Keim Ford on the far west side. There are also several auto auctions - Mannheim being one.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:07 AM

thank you

Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 PM

11 posts, read 14,827 times
What about leasing? I just leased a kia for 240 a month 0 down. That way I don't have to deal with it constantly breaking and in 3 years I can lease another new car. I got the 15000 miles a year plan. If you get the 12000 miles a year plan its cheaper. I used to drive used cars and all they did was break.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:05 PM

212 posts, read 538,661 times
Hondas command a premium in this area because of the factory in Marysville and everyone wants to drive them. I would first narrow down your search to the exact models and trim levels you're looking for. Then go test drive to make sure it's exactly what you want, then go back to Autotrader and extend your search out to a 500 mile radius and be prepared to travel. Every single "good" car buying experience I've had involved me traveling a few hundred miles to buy the car either from a private seller or a small dealership in a small town. I can't emphasize enough the difference between big city and small town people when it comes to buying and selling things. Small town people, at least in my personal first hand experience, tend to be both more honest about what they're selling and more reasonable/ less greedy on the amount of money they'd accept for it.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 PM

Ameilamarie85,

Leasing a car is a financial nightmare.
In car leases you will eventually be upside down on the car when the lease progresses.
It's a leasing merry-go-round that you can never get off until a.) you either pay the "end of lease terms"-- wear and tear fees, or b.) you buy the vehicle outright at the current market value, or c.) you get into another car lease. All terrible options.
You better look at your end of lease contract, otherwise you will keep making lease payments forever.

Leasing is a big ripoff--unless if you own a business and use the vehicle as a tax write off. But even then you err on the side of caution with leases.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:45 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,869 times
Even though cost of living was cheaper in Columbus, I still couldn't imagine having the additional expense of a car tacked on to being able to actually live and not just sit around in my apartment. I know it's much harder down there to find a setup where you don't need one, but if possible it's worth exploring moving closer to work so that you don't have to drive there and cut out the work commute by car at least or find a job in a walkable/bikeable area, maybe on a COTA route if it's a half-way decent one. Being able to get by sans automobile frees up a lot of money: the only expense that really dings me on a regular basis is still just the rent.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 PM

11 posts, read 14,827 times
Why is leasing a car a bad option? Unless, of course you have bad credit. With leasing you don't have to worry about the car breaking down, don't have to pay for maintence/repairs. You can get wear and tear insurance and sure you are going to have pay some money at the end of the lease but its not more than you would pay in repairs for an old car. I'm pregnant and with my leased car, I know I am not going to be stuck along the freeway somewhere with a broken down car. Definitely not safe for baby and me!

Old 05-02-2015, 10:34 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,171,642 times
Leasing isn't a "bad" option. It just isn't for everyone. With leasing, you must basically subscribe to the fact that you are personally taking the entire depreciation hit on the first 3-4 years of the car. You are also personally responsible for keeping the car is pristine condition while also being confined to a mileage limit under the risk of financial penalty. The "upside" is that it's easy to walk away from when the lease is up and there is no haggling over resale or trade-in value when you're looking to get into a new vehicle. It also allows you to pay less money over the lease duration because you only actually finance the negotiated price minus the residual. It is a great option for those who use their vehicle for work or for those who want reliability and don't have the means to buy a new car outright. You just have to be resigned to the fact that you'll have a car payment for the rest of your life.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:37 PM

I was in a car lease. The lease was 5 years long and the payments were $300 a month.
Yes, the dealership takes care of you if your car breaks down, but you are forced to carry full coverage insurance, and when the lease ends--then what? You just rented a car for 5 years with $300 month payments +$100 per month insurance and now you don't own it at end of lease. Then you either buy another car or lease again.

Here is the kicker--you can buy a car with cash spend about $100 per month in insurance and maintenance costs and you keep the car.

If you have money to burn and want convenience=lease. If you want to save loads of money=own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus