Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 PM

116 posts, read 294,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Well, i myself would pick the Cleveland metro over C-bus. I don't live in either area, but i've spent a significant amount of time in each metro. I prefer the character and cultural activites that Cleveland has to over of the sprawl and cookie cutter look of C-bus. Both cities are in good locations, so that really isn't an issue. I just like older cities much better than newer ones.

I'm not saying C-bus isn't nice..........you guys have lots of new shopping, new homes, new businesses, etc, but sometimes the roads around those new areas can't handle the traffic. C-bus may be growing and have more jobs, but i still prefer Cleveland. Cleveland still has jobs, it just depends on your line of work. The Cleveland Clinic is hiring like crazy and not just in the nursing field, they are looking for finance and accounting people as well.

When I go to Cleveland I spend some time by the lake, catch an Indians, Browns, or Cavs game, go to the Warehouse District, etc. Other times I visit the metro parks, the auto show(when it's in town), and the museums at University Circle. Cleveland also has a nice playhouse area and one of the best symphonies in the world. I also enjoy visiting many of the Cleveland suburbs.........Chagrin Falls is absolutely gorgeous and i love the old homes in many of the inner ring suburbs.

And, yes, i know C-bus has some nice old sections too, you don't have to tell me about them.
I have the same feeling than you but sometimes you need new ideas to make up your mind. the only problem i have with Cleveland there are some areas very horrible like south of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 06:42 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Well, i myself would pick the Cleveland metro over C-bus. I don't live in either area, but i've spent a significant amount of time in each metro. I prefer the character and cultural activites that Cleveland has to over of the sprawl and cookie cutter look of C-bus. Both cities are in good locations, so that really isn't an issue. I just like older cities much better than newer ones.

I'm not saying C-bus isn't nice..........you guys have lots of new shopping, new homes, new businesses, etc, but sometimes the roads around those new areas can't handle the traffic. C-bus may be growing and have more jobs, but i still prefer Cleveland. Cleveland still has jobs, it just depends on your line of work. The Cleveland Clinic is hiring like crazy and not just in the nursing field, they are looking for finance and accounting people as well.

When I go to Cleveland I spend some time by the lake, catch an Indians, Browns, or Cavs game, go to the Warehouse District, etc. Other times I visit the metro parks, the auto show(when it's in town), and the museums at University Circle. Cleveland also has a nice playhouse area and one of the best symphonies in the world. I also enjoy visiting many of the Cleveland suburbs.........Chagrin Falls is absolutely gorgeous and i love the old homes in many of the inner ring suburbs.

And, yes, i know C-bus has some nice old sections too, you don't have to tell me about them.
Not knocking Cleveland, which certainly has its positive attributes. Good museums too. But, honestly, unless the city is a total cesspool most major American cities are going to have some pretty areas, some fun cultural activities and a couple of major employers. The downside to Cleveland is that for every vibrant, aesthetically pleasing area, there are twice as many run-down, depressed areas. Time and the economy have not been kind to the city of Cleveland; it is after all the poorest large city in the U.S. And with the current economic climate, it will not improve anytime soon--and things will likely get worse, with foreclosures and unemployment both rising.

I don't view Columbus as any kind of midwestern utopia either--after all, I moved away about 5 years ago. But if I were looking for a place to move to, between the two I'd pick Columbus hands-down.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:00 PM

133 posts, read 589,735 times
Cleveland is a dirty city. The only good thing about it is that it's on the lake, and the Cavs are fun to watch. That's about it.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times
yes, if you like a smaller metro area with less choices/variety then columbus is your place. oh, and columbus has college football !

Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoffy View Post
BTW Cleveland & Columbus which one is the best choice
I've lived in Columbus and moved from Cleveland to Charlotte 4 yrs ago. I prefer CLE over Columbus as seams to have more culture, great theatre, choice of Pro Sports, lake. The suburbs are nice and have character (I lived in Chagrin Falls which has to be one of the best towns in OH), Columbus is somewhat vanilla, too much retail (lived in Dublin which is nice area) and everything is about OSU football which can get old. I chose to move to Charlotte and you can't get me or my family to move back. Area is very transient with people moving here from all part of country. Economy here seems to be better and I like the great options my kids will have for college. I consider the weather to be a major factor and the close proximity of the beaches (3-1/2 hrs) and mountains areas like Boone, Asheville (2 hrs) are a plus.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:50 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
They are facing problems that they weren't facing 3 years ago.
That's not true. The writing has been on the wall for over 15 years down there and the city and county leaders have refused to deal with it. They want to write it off to rapid growth, but it's really incompetent leadership.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
QCP

185 posts, read 523,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
That's not true. The writing has been on the wall for over 15 years down there and the city and county leaders have refused to deal with it. They want to write it off to rapid growth, but it's really incompetent leadership.
Actually your statement is inaccurate as well. The entire infrustructure issue has much more to do with government at the state level. The city and county officials have had their hands tied for years.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:20 PM
QCP

185 posts, read 523,972 times
Quote:
Statistics have shown and it has been voted on a national basis, that Columbus is one of the best cities for blacks to live in.
Not saying it's not. But when you consider practically every list has the other 3 cities in question (Atlanta, DC and Charlotte) ranked higher than C'Bus, you are not really proving anything here.

Quote:
I went to the city last year, and rode the subway to the downtown area where my hotel was located, and didn't feel safe at all. I had all my luggage with me, and felt at any moment it was going to be taken away from me, but the downtown was very nice.
Perhaps you are just an easy target...I don't know. I've never felt unsafe there. Sure their crime stats are higher than C'Bus or Charlotte's, but their city perimeter is more tightly confined to the city core, much like Cincy and Cleveland's - apples and oranges. Didn't your little training class teach you that?

Quote:
I can't say much for Charlotte's downtown, but Columbus is experiencing major growth downtown. The area around Nationwide Arena is growing rapidly with new condos, shopping and restaurants. The suburbs are extremely nice, New Albany, Dublin, Hilliard, Worthington, and Gahanna.
Hmmm...C'Bus does have some nice development and I really like the Arena District, but you can't say much for Charlotte's downtown? It probably has as many current projects as any city in the country.
http://www.charlottecentercity.org/D...fullreport.pdf

Old 01-16-2009, 04:37 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,275 times
The Metro DC area has a lot of pluses and minuses, depending on what you prefer and what you are looking for. I lived there for 9 years and decided it was no longer the place for me.

Pluses:
Tons of restaurants of every ethnicity imaginable. Lots of theatre and museum choices, good night life with bars and restaurants. Metroparks are great for walking, running, hiking, whatever. There is always something to do. The public transit system is great and you don't need a car depending on where you live. Some excellent schools systems. Great job opportunities. Close to beaches and the East Coast.

Minuses:
Horrific traffic. The congestion is ridiculous, too--rows of townhouses everywhere. Housing prices, which have dropped significantly, are still astronomical. Lots of people who are only concerned with climbing the corporate ladder. It is also a very transient area--most people are not from there, and most move away once they retire. MD is also well known as an illegal immigrant friendly state.

So, it depends on what you're looking for: young, single or married with no kids, trying to build a career, I would recommend the Metro DC area. Married with kids, I would not recommend.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:32 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCP View Post
Actually your statement is inaccurate as well. The entire infrustructure issue has much more to do with government at the state level. The city and county officials have had their hands tied for years.
I lived there for 15 years. Don't fall for that line of nonsense! The city got plenty of money for light rail, the arena, the NASCAR Hall of Fame.....they didn't CHOOSE to improve their infrastructure. The didn't CHOOSE it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus