U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 05:46 PM

11,034 posts, read 13,371,681 times

Advertisements

Yeah those are all good points!

I mean, on paper, it seems nearly perfect for me. I just can't say for sure, as I've never visited or lived there.

But yeah, the abundance of job opportunities in my field there is almost reason enough to go there, regardless of other "personal" reasons. I could have everything I want: a house, a social life, a job, and a liberal environment. Also, based on what I see online, it seems that the gay population of Cbus metro is 7 times the size of where I live now (Fairfield County, CT).

When I visited Cleveland two months ago, I should have taken the 2.5 hr drive down to Columbus even just for one day to check it out. I'm such an idiot.

But anyway, I just can't see how it would be worse than where I currently live now, which I can't stand in just about every imaginable way possible. The horrific traffic, ultra high cost of living, rude people, complete lack of gay people, etc., is depressing. ANYWHERE is better than here!

Last edited by nep321; 05-16-2015 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 11:12 PM

So I've been looking at houses on Zillow in the Cbus area and I am surprised at how expensive the housing is...wow! The prices are almost on par with most of Connecticut. What the hell happened?! I'm seeing basic homes going for the $200-250K range. That seems high for Ohio, and no different than Connecticut (outside of Fairfield County). I was hoping to see decent housing for around $150K. I thought this place was supposed to be affordable...wtf

Last edited by nep321; 05-16-2015 at 11:28 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 06:34 AM

12,766 posts, read 12,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So I've been looking at houses on Zillow in the Cbus area and I am surprised at how expensive the housing is...wow! The prices are almost on par with most of Connecticut. What the hell happened?! I'm seeing basic homes going for the $200-250K range. That seems high for Ohio, and no different than Connecticut (outside of Fairfield County). I was hoping to see decent housing for around $150K. I thought this place was supposed to be affordable...wtf
The average sales price in the city is less than $150K. I don't know where you are looking, but there are plenty of houses for under $200K.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:44 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,855,948 times
Quote:
it seems that the gay population of Cbus metro is 7 times the size of where I live now (Fairfield County, CT).

But anyway, I just can't see how it would be worse than where I currently live now, which I can't stand in just about every imaginable way possible. The horrific traffic, ultra high cost of living, rude people, complete lack of gay people, etc., is depressing. ANYWHERE is better than here!
nep, this is the attitude you needed a long time ago.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:15 AM

18 posts, read 22,714 times
Quote:
I think it depends on where you're looking. Trendy neighborhoods like the Short North, Victorian Village, Harrison West or German Village are quite pricey (too pricey, iMO). But there are some good options if you're willing to live in a slightly less popular neighborhood. Sure, you may not be able to walk to gay bars, but is that really important to you?

I know this is a tough decision (I've been there). A visit to Columbus might make the decision easier.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:20 AM

1,191 posts, read 543,431 times
Okay, you're seeing certain houses in Columbus listed in the same price range as certain other houses in areas of Connecticut that you don't live in. Are the houses equivalent in terms of the following?

* Square footage/number of rooms/lot size
* Construction type (brick? wood frame? etc)/age of structure
* Community amenities, safety and school system quality
* Convenience to key workplaces, retail, etc.
* Location on a busy street vs subdivision
* Property taxes

Could you provide us with a couple examples for comparison? The other thing to keep in mind is Zillow is only one source for real estate data, and their "Z-Estimates" can be WAY off in a lot of places.

Quote:

Old 05-17-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Okay, you're seeing certain houses in Columbus listed in the same price range as certain other houses in areas of Connecticut that you don't live in. Are the houses equivalent in terms of the following?

* Square footage/number of rooms/lot size
* Construction type (brick? wood frame? etc)/age of structure
* Community amenities, safety and school system quality
* Convenience to key workplaces, retail, etc.
* Location on a busy street vs subdivision
* Property taxes

Could you provide us with a couple examples for comparison? The other thing to keep in mind is Zillow is only one source for real estate data, and their "Z-Estimates" can be WAY off in a lot of places.
Well like, here is is one, for example, going for $210K, which I could easily afford. But it just seems higher than I expected. And there isn't even a garage. But the house itself is very charming and nice IMO. It's in the Clintonville area, which is what people have suggested to me in this thread as a desirable place to live for single people who prefer quiet suburban living.

2803 Kensington Pl W, Columbus, OH 43202 is For Sale | Zillow

Old 05-17-2015, 05:58 PM

I have a couple more questions:

1. Are the gays spread out all over the metro, to some degree? Or do ALL of them only live in Short North?

2. Is it possible to find some decent hiking mountains/forests within a 90 minute drive?

3. Would you describe Columbus as a transplant metro? I believe Cleveland is not a transplant metro, but is more stagnant/settled.

4. What is the reason for all the rapid growth in the Cbus metro? I read somewhere that the growth is not "real," because it has to do with annexing additional counties into the MSA or something.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:03 PM

1,191 posts, read 543,431 times
The Zillow webpage in your link has a chart indicating that Clintonville's housing values run far above the Columbus average - that would explain why the sample home's price is higher than you expected. There are plenty of more affordable options in the area, just move around the maps to explore.

Look on the Census website - metro Columbus' population grew 4.9% from the 2010 Census to the 2014 estimates. The growth is absolutely real as it is calculated from a consistent definition of the metropolitan area for each year. The national growth rate was 3.3% - considerably less. So yes, that suggests a significant transplant population in the area - and I'd guess the strong job market along with the area's educational assets are the key factors behind the growth.

American FactFinder - Results
Columbus, OH Metro Area 1,901,974 1,902,015 1,906,177 1,925,540 1,945,659 1,969,032 1,994,536

Hocking Hills state park is less than 90 minutes southeast of Columbus and offers forests and great hiking.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:26 PM

18 posts, read 22,714 times
Quote:
I have a couple more questions:

1. Are the gays spread out all over the metro, to some degree? Or do ALL of them only live in Short North?

2. Is it possible to find some decent hiking mountains/forests within a 90 minute drive?

3. Would you describe Columbus as a transplant metro? I believe Cleveland is not a transplant metro, but is more stagnant/settled.

4. What is the reason for all the rapid growth in the Cbus metro? I read somewhere that the growth is not "real," because it has to do with annexing additional counties into the MSA or something.
Quote:
In general, you're going to find the "trendier" gays (that is, those people who feel it is important to live in a gayborhood) in the Short North. Certainly the concentration is likely highest in the SN, but you'll find them all around the city. Said another way, if you lived in the suburbs and potential guy rejected you when you asked him out for a date, would you even want to date that kind of a person?

Live where you feel comfortable, don't feel that you must live in the trendiest gayborhood in order to meet people.

Quote:
Yes, Hocking Hills.

Quote:
Yes, you get a fair amount of transplants due to a variety of factors: OSU drawing in students from all over the country/world, and several multinational/Fortune 500 companies which have operations in Central OH (Honda, Nationwide, Chase, etc.).

Quote:
This is a difficult question to answer. Likely the growth is driven by a variety of factors: Low cost of living, high amenities in a well run city, the fact that Columbus receives a larger share of state tax dollars vs Cleveland and Cincinnati, Baby Boomers looking for an affordable and interesting city to retire to, Millennials graduating from OSU who decided to stay after graduation, and a local population leaving decaying rust belt cities for economic opportunity (e.g. Cleveland, Youngstown, etc.).

I think Columbus will continue to grow. However, I do think there is a bit of a bubble in high-end apartments in Columbus proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or