U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 AM

11,037 posts, read 13,376,134 times

Advertisements

Guess what...I succeeded the phone interview for one company and landed a real in-person interview. But they want me to drive up to the Boston office to do the actual interview, even though the actual job would be located in Columbus. The job would be a career promotion for me. I think it's strange, however, that they want me to do the interview in Boston instead of Columbus. That means if I get an offer and accept it....I would basically have to move to Columbus SIGHT UNSEEN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 10:22 AM

688 posts, read 863,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Whether or not "mecca" is accurate or not, it's long been known that Columbus has a sizeable gay population. Much higher than Cleveland or Cincinnati and higher than just about any city in the Midwest. In fact, it's a top 20 in the country from what I've seen.
I have no idea the size of the gay population but the gay population in Columbus is certainly quite visible. Was returning home from a business trip a few weeks ago and there was a sign in CMH airport talking about Columbus as an LGBT centric city. One could also take a drive up High St. and see all the Stonewall Gay Pride banners hanging from light posts to see more evidence of the gay population's presence. The population may be large, or it may be not so large, but hard to argue the gay community in Columbus is subtle.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:33 AM

Omg I just got another interview request in Cbus for next week. Looks like I may have to take PTO and make a trip there next week for multiple interviews! Unreal!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:26 AM

My friend who lives in L.A. is making fun of me for choosing to pursue jobs in Columbus. He said, "Why Columbus of all places???? Random choice!"

Why the hell do California people seem to look down upon almost EVERY city in the entire country?! Why do they think SoCal is the best place in the WORLD and anything other than SoCal is considered inferior or a downgrade? I don't get it, personally.

With that said, do you think Columbus is a better place to live than Los Angeles?

Old 05-21-2015, 07:29 AM

1,191 posts, read 544,198 times
Congrats on your getting interviews in Columbus - hope you can visit the area soon! And try to focus on those factors that are truly the most important to you, like finding a neighborhood in your budget that suits your preferences, and where the amenities (trails, shops, bars, etc. - whatever) that you want to access regularly are located. I would suggest not to let random people's height or facial features get in the way for example. :-)

Columbus is a better place to live than Los Angeles in many respects - but it really depends on what the individual wants:

* Cost of living - look at the real estate you can get in L.A. close to work for the same amount of $ - it is ridiculous! If you spend less on housing, more is left over for other needs and wants plus savings.
* Job opportunities relative to the population size
* Traffic congestion - easier access to the amenities of the entire metro area
* Four season climate/better air quality
* Far more green space
* Proximity to your family in CT
* More of a standard American culture, but still moderately diverse

Good luck and keep your eyes on the prize - if Columbus is right for YOU, that is what matters!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Congrats on your getting interviews in Columbus - hope you can visit the area soon! And try to focus on those factors that are truly the most important to you, like finding a neighborhood in your budget that suits your preferences, and where the amenities (trails, shops, bars, etc. - whatever) that you want to access regularly are located. I would suggest not to let random people's height or facial features get in the way for example. :-)

Columbus is a better place to live than Los Angeles in many respects - but it really depends on what the individual wants:

* Cost of living - look at the real estate you can get in L.A. close to work for the same amount of $ - it is ridiculous! If you spend less on housing, more is left over for other needs and wants plus savings.
* Job opportunities relative to the population size
* Traffic congestion - easier access to the amenities of the entire metro area
* Four season climate/better air quality
* Far more green space
* Proximity to your family in CT
* More of a standard American culture, but still moderately diverse

Good luck and keep your eyes on the prize - if Columbus is right for YOU, that is what matters!
You pretty much reassured me as to why Cbus appeals to me. Thanks!
Proximity to family in CT is a good one, too. The only state that's in the way is PA, which is a drag to drive through.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 AM

419 posts, read 676,669 times
Los Angeles is a cesspool. Horrible traffic, absurd real estate prices, high crime, and a political climate dominated by nutty liberals who have ruined a once great state.

I saw one of those "best places" lists which had Columbus has the #3 best city for gays behind San Francisco and New York.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:15 PM

12,785 posts, read 12,751,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My friend who lives in L.A. is making fun of me for choosing to pursue jobs in Columbus. He said, "Why Columbus of all places???? Random choice!"

Why the hell do California people seem to look down upon almost EVERY city in the entire country?! Why do they think SoCal is the best place in the WORLD and anything other than SoCal is considered inferior or a downgrade? I don't get it, personally.

With that said, do you think Columbus is a better place to live than Los Angeles?
Californians seem to be a lot like Texas or Floridians... they can't imagine why people would live anywhere else. I can't personally stand any of them.

Tell your friend that Columbus has a young population, one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country, strong population growth (13th in the nation per today's estimate), a rapidly diversifying population and a much lower cost of living than in either CT or California. I don't see the problem.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:36 PM

96 posts, read 94,210 times
Quote:
Can you guys suggest me some companies to check for job postings? I really want this to work out and I'm starting to get nervous that it might not work out. So far, I have three phone interviews lined up with three different major employers. But are there any others? I won't say which ones I'm interviewing with, but here are some that I have already checked for job postings and am already aware of:

Wendy's
Abercrombie
Express
DSW
Cardinal Health
NiSource
Citi
General Employment
Hexion
OCLC

Know of anymore that I could lookup?
Not sure what position you are looking for but just go to indeed.com or one of those websites and see what's available (some of those positions might already be filled so don't feel down if you don't get call backs).

Old 05-22-2015, 07:57 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,859,380 times
Quote:

nep, last time I checked you weren't even considering LA. You really need to only worry about yourself here. As far as LA, I used to live there and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or