U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:02 PM

18 posts, read 22,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'm sure Columbus is fine with adding real, tangible people every year in the thousands rather than having subjective superiority in a few amenities.
Columbus is doing great, and certainly when a Fortune 500 or multinational company relocates to Cbus it produces organic population growth. However, I think it's fair to also dig deeper and have mild concern about whether the population growth is sustainable, and whether it's coming at the expense of the rest of Ohio.

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » In-State vs. Out-of-State Migration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 01:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu__jonathan View Post
Columbus is doing great, and certainly when a Fortune 500 or multinational company relocates to Cbus it produces organic population growth. However, I think it's fair to also dig deeper and have mild concern about whether the population growth is sustainable, and whether it's coming at the expense of the rest of Ohio.

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » In-State vs. Out-of-State Migration
Most metros receive the bulk of their domestic migration from in-state. The IRS numbers differ quite a bit from Census migration numbers, so it also depends on what source you prefer. Both are estimates. Either way, that link is outdated now anyway. The 2000s had radically different migration patterns than what exists now, and that's true across the country.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Most metros receive the bulk of their domestic migration from in-state. The IRS numbers differ quite a bit from Census migration numbers, so it also depends on what source you prefer. Both are estimates. Either way, that link is outdated now anyway. The 2000s had radically different migration patterns than what exists now, and that's true across the country.
According to the cities profiled in the link, no, most growing metros do not receive the bulk of their growth from in-state migration. You are correct, the data sample used by Urbanphile ends in 2010 --- probably because that is when the most recent U.S. Census was performed. If you have more recent, accurate data to substantiate your opinion, please share.

Last edited by bu__jonathan; 05-26-2015 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 AM

12,766 posts, read 12,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu__jonathan View Post
According to the cities profiled in the link, no, most growing metros do not receive the bulk of their growth from in-state migration. You are correct, the data sample used by Urbanphile ends in 2010. If you have more recent data to substantiate your opinion, please share.
The link profiled only a handful of cities, so how can you claim that they represent the majority?

I personally don't use IRS data, I use Census migration data, and every one of those cities has the majority of their domestic migration from in-state. So it comes down to what you choose to believe. I tend to believe the organization that actually focuses on population stats rather than tax data, but that's just me.

Let me put together some numbers for those metros in the link and I'll provide them here.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:59 PM

19 posts, read 33,120 times
Jesus Christ, these things always seem to turn into Cleveland vs. Columbus. Hey nep321, Columbus makes a lot of "best of" lists, but its chief accomplishment is having the #1 inferiority complex. The bulk of that probably comes from historically playing third fiddle to Cincy and Cleveland and not quite having grown into its big city britches just yet. The same probably holds in reverse for the other two cities not being used to Columbus catching up.

So, here's some real talk replies since this thread has wandered off into the Iowa forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have a few phone interviews with companies in Columbus and expect more to come along soon. It is very possible that I may actually get a job there and relocate! So I have some questions, since I've never been there.

1. Do you think Columbus is a good place for a single 31 year old gay guy to relocate to and live for the long term? Are there things to do for 30-somethings there? I'm assuming yes, but have heard that it might be more geared toward 20-somethings. I just want to make sure that I'll fit in. I have also heard that there is brain drain and many college students leave for other cities after they graduate. True or false?
Yes. There are plenty of things to do here for those not in their 20s...I'm 39 and keep myself occupied quite nicely. That is an open ended question, though; it really depends on *what* you like to do. I read a great quote the other day that I'll paraphrase - Columbus, no matter what you're looking for, seems to have at least one place catering to that thing. The example used was a fountain pen shop, and the gist of the story was not all cities our size always have that "one of everything" you might be looking for.

As for the second part of your question, our reputation as a rising fashion location seems to fly in the face of a brain drain scenario.

Quote:
2. Is it possible to buy a single family small house in a nonfamily oriented neighborhood that's quiet and safe? My budget would be under $250K.
Westgate. This will be my most controversial reply, and I will stand by it. Truthfully, it's a doughnut hole of good in a rough area, but it's an amazing neighborhood with great prices. Yes, there are a lot of families there but, like the rest of Columbus, no one gives a crap you're gay...are you a good neighbor? It is also becoming a (or the) place gay couples choose to settle down.

Quote:
3. Do you think traffic and stress is better than what I currently have to deal with here on the east coast with I-95 and fast paced lifestyle?
Yes, by a mile.

Quote:
4. Are there any dangerous wildlife animals or plants that I should be concerned about in central Ohio?
Drunk Ohio State fans in the presence of any perceived insult, no matter how minor.

Quote:
5. What culture shock, if any, would an east coast transplant experience? I have been to Cleveland and didn't really experience any culture shock at all. I know Columbus is only a 2 hour drive from Cleveland, but I heard it's more Midwestern cultured.
I'm not sure of any culture shock, other than possibly a direct, East Coast manner of speaking might be considered rude?

Quote:
6. Do Columbus people have accents compared to Clevelanders?
I would say Clevelanders sound like they have an accent, so that's truly in the ear of the listener. The southern side of town does tend to have a bit of a different accent in parts, even compared to the rest of Columbus.

Quote:
7. With all the growth being experienced in Columbus, is it one of those places with high traffic volume (like Atlanta) on the roads in general? And parking lots constantly packed full?
I've lived in Atlanta and Charlotte - Columbus isn't even remotely close to the former, it's catching up to the latter. The worst traffic is generally within an hour and a half of 8 and 5 on the interstates and some areas are, of course, known trouble spots. You don't grow this fast without some pains.

Quote:
8. What if I don't care about sports at all?
Honestly, no one cares you don't care

Quote:
9. Are the roads in the Columbus metro as terrible as they are in the Cleveland metro?
I'd say no, they get a lot more snow and this area seems to be pretty proactive on filling potholes.

It sounds to me like you're struggling with whether or not to settle down. Nothing wrong with that, you'll find it's not always important to be occupied every minute you aren't working. In addition, you'll find the worth of a place isn't necessarily tied to how well it entertains a narrow demographic (like 20 somethings in the Short North.) I've lived in six states, ALL of them were blind moves...I'd get a call on Wednesday saying I needed to start in another state on Monday. I was born here, and when I got tired of moving around, I came back. THAT is the true measure of a good place to live.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:03 PM

11,032 posts, read 13,371,681 times
Guess what.

I received TWO job offers in Cbus.

I was there on Sat-Tue and had the opportunity to interview with 3 companies, two of which gave me an offer. The offers are pretty good for central Ohio...I think. Overall pay is 29% less than what I currently make here in Fairfield County, CT.

Overall, I liked CBus. I was very impressed with how new and clean everything was. However, I was a bit shocked to see significantly more obese people, and I heard some accents, too. So, it was somewhat of a culture shock...not gonna lie. Grove City was a TOTAL culture shock. It was the first place I stopped at and I immediately thought "omg there's no way I can live here." Literally everyone was obese, had accents, and it was just total shock coming from Connecticut.

I also had the opportunity to drive on I-270 during rush hour (from Easton to Dublin) and the traffic was a total cakewalk compared to I-95 on the east coast. Like wow.

I also had the opportunity to go out in the Short North with my friend on Sat night and was very impressed with the liveliness and safeness of the area. It's kind of like the Strip in Las Vegas or something. At times, I felt like I was in Manhattan, seeing all the taxis and people and lights. Although I'm not a nightlife person, it seems like a nice amenity to have.

So by tomorrow, I have to make my decision to either stay here in CT or make the move later this month. Part of me wants to move, because I could thrive better economically and buy a house and probably have a better social life, etc. But part of me feels stupid for leaving my family in pursuit of purchasing a material item (a house). If I stay here though, I'll have to rent for 10 more years...ouch.

HELP!!!!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Guess what.

I received TWO job offers in Cbus.

I was there on Sat-Tue and had the opportunity to interview with 3 companies, two of which gave me an offer. The offers are pretty good for central Ohio...I think. Overall pay is 29% less than what I currently make here in Fairfield County, CT.

Overall, I liked CBus. I was very impressed with how new and clean everything was. However, I was a bit shocked to see significantly more obese people, and I heard some accents, too. So, it was somewhat of a culture shock...not gonna lie. Grove City was a TOTAL culture shock. It was the first place I stopped at and I immediately thought "omg there's no way I can live here." Literally everyone was obese, had accents, and it was just total shock coming from Connecticut.

I also had the opportunity to drive on I-270 during rush hour (from Easton to Dublin) and the traffic was a total cakewalk compared to I-95 on the east coast. Like wow.

I also had the opportunity to go out in the Short North with my friend on Sat night and was very impressed with the liveliness and safeness of the area. It's kind of like the Strip in Las Vegas or something. At times, I felt like I was in Manhattan, seeing all the taxis and people and lights. Although I'm not a nightlife person, it seems like a nice amenity to have.

So by tomorrow, I have to make my decision to either stay here in CT or make the move later this month. Part of me wants to move, because I could thrive better economically and buy a house and probably have a better social life, etc. But part of me feels stupid for leaving my family in pursuit of purchasing a material item (a house). If I stay here though, I'll have to rent for 10 more years...ouch.

HELP!!!!
Why not rent for a year in Columbus? That will give you time to see how you feel about Columbus, figure out if you miss your family and CT, and learn more about city. If you leave your job on good terms, that always leaves the door open to go back if you miss your family.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:59 PM

1,188 posts, read 543,431 times
Congratulations on your job offers! I'd say you should go for one of the Columbus opportunities - you already know Fairfield County, CT is less than optimal for your situation, so why not try somewhere different that has many qualities you like? Once you are a local resident and have obtained more experience, you may be able to look around more easily for better paying positions in the area. And if Columbus doesn't work out, you can always go back to CT or try somewhere else.

I wouldn't let what you saw in Grove City be a roadblock, since you would more likely want to live in the central or north areas of the city or closer in suburbs - which are more "white collar" areas. And if the overall population is truly less physically fit (which sounds like a questionable assumption to me), one way to look at is less competition for you :-).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 AM

418 posts, read 419,307 times
Go with your gut instinct. If it doesn't feel right don't do it. Check out the city data forum where people have moved and then regret it. Columbus is nice.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:48 PM

11,032 posts, read 13,371,681 times
I ACCEPTED THE OFFER!!!

I'm officially moving to Columbus in about a month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or