U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 06:28 PM

90 posts, read 65,963 times

Advertisements

Wow. Have you guys seen these renderings yet?

Mixed-use, hundreds of units of new housing, walkable retail. Franklinton is finally happening!

New Details Revealed for Major Mixed-Use Development in Franklinton | Columbusight.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 09:08 AM

Looks like before construction gets underway, the site will play host to a pop-up installation of shipping containers, art gallerys, and food trucks.

Sure beats the empty lot there now!

Shipping Container ‘Art Park’ Popping Up in Franklinton This Summer | Columbusight.com

Old 05-20-2015, 10:17 AM

688 posts, read 863,917 times
I question what will happen when all the Millenials that are being catered to by the redevelopment of urban cores begin to grow their families and want a little personal green space necessitating a move to the suburbs. I understand senior living facilities and multi-family are the current trend, but when the Baby Boomers die off and their boomerang generation, the Millenials, reach middle-age will there be sufficient demand for all the apartments and old folks homes that have been going up the last five to ten years?

Old 05-20-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
I question what will happen when all the Millenials that are being catered to by the redevelopment of urban cores begin to grow their families and want a little personal green space necessitating a move to the suburbs. I understand senior living facilities and multi-family are the current trend, but when the Baby Boomers die off and their boomerang generation, the Millenials, reach middle-age will there be sufficient demand for all the apartments and old folks homes that have been going up the last five to ten years?
I think this is a good point. Hopefully, equal attention is being paid now to developing single-family housing in these neighborhoods and improving the Columbus City School system.

That way, when the time comes we won't be right back where we started before this recent trend began.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 PM

12,785 posts, read 12,759,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Millenials are the biggest generation in history, bigger than even the boomers, who themselves have shaped housing policy for decades. There is no reason to expect that this generation won't, and they're already doing so. It's foolish to expect every generation will be the same, because they're not. Boomers weren't city dwellers like their parents and their parents were. The demand for urban housing will last well into the future and it's very unlikely that cities will go through another long period of decline anytime in the next 50-60 years.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:01 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,031,781 times
Urban Columbus has tons of single family homes with yards. The issue is making those neighborhoods safe. "West" Franklinton is a perfect example.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Urban Columbus has tons of single family homes with yards. The issue is making those neighborhoods safe. "West" Franklinton is a perfect example.
Franklinton overall has falling crime rates.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:39 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,785,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainclipper View Post
Wow. Have you guys seen these renderings yet?

Mixed-use, hundreds of units of new housing, walkable retail. Franklinton is finally happening!

New Details Revealed for Major Mixed-Use Development in Franklinton | Columbusight.com
That's great news! Franklinton is a neat part of town, perfect for revitalization.

Wishing it all the best and I can't wait until I'll be able to see this in person.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:14 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,031,781 times
My only beef is the one parking space per unit which is going to be a lot of cars once this is all built out. At this location it's easy to get around with other options that don't take up nearly as much space: bikes, scooters, microcars, CoGo and even COTA.

In under a half hour from this site you can take the bike-path across the Main St bridge and take the trail all the way to 3rd and stick to quiet residential street to reach High St in the middle of the Short North without dealing with fast traffic. All destinations in Downtown are right next door with the Brewery District and German Village just 10 min away or OTE at 15 min by bike: going by car shaves off about five minutes, but that doesn't include finding a spot and then squeezing in via parallel parking. With so many trips under 30 min if there were a CoGo station near the site it could get a lot of people directly to and from this improving area.

With those travel times to the bulk of urban destinations in the city the one spot per unit designation is overkill. Now is the time to lower the number of parking spaces or switch them for smaller vehicles which don't take up nearly as much space, not a decade or so after the fact.

Last edited by Mplsite; 05-25-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
My only beef is the one parking space per unit which is going to be a lot of cars once this is all built out. At this location it's easy to get around with other options that don't take up nearly as much space: bikes, scooters, microcars, CoGo and even COTA.

In under a half hour from this site you can take the bike-path across the Main St bridge and take the trail all the way to 3rd and stick to quiet residential street to reach High St in the middle of the Short North without dealing with fast traffic. All destinations in Downtown are right next door with the Brewery District and German Village just 10 min away or OTE at 15 min by bike: going by car shaves off about five minutes, but that doesn't include finding a spot and then squeezing in via parallel parking. With so many trips under 30 min if there were a CoGo station near the site it could get a lot of people directly to and from this improving area.

With those travel times to the bulk of urban destinations in the city the one spot per unit designation is overkill. Now is the time to lower the number of parking spaces or switch them for smaller vehicles which don't take up nearly as much space, not a decade or so after the fact.
I don't think any of the details are final. The FRB doesn't want the parking facing the river, they want development there. And whatever gets built will be connected to the trail system along the river, from what I understand, especially with the new riverfront parks that will be finished late this year/early next year. The intersections will also be redone for pedestrians, and I believe the city has plans for bike lanes along Rich. Franklinton will also be part of CoGo expansion at some point. Not sure if the new stations being added this summer will include more there or not, will have to check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or